My duckfeet are dying, need some sugestions!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

toobs bluntcuts 8) soft, comfortable with a flat top the grips the deck nicely.
these flipper threads have a nauseating deja-vuuuish quality.
some neophyte to the site asks the dreaded flipper question and soon after Albert and Nov pounce with the don't wear any argument. :lol: :roll:
then the flippered guys respond with venom concerning the need that older, fatter kneeboarders have for flippers.
like the movie Groundhog Day. it just happens over and over and over and over....... :lol:
if kneeboarding dies it'll be because we've f%ckin bored ourselves to death :lol: :lol: :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
SouthernTim
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

FLWaves - my .02

Post by SouthernTim »

Hey FLWaves:

The BluntCuts have more thrust, but the Kicks are more comfortable in bare feet, without sacrificing too much thrust.

If I were out somewhere big with serious rips or currents, I'd probably opt for the fins with the most thrust, weight and comfort would take 2nd fiddle to being able to get around as needed. Having said that, my vanity makes me arm paddle a lot, so I'm using the fins for the leisurely cruise out to the peak when I'm tired or trying to play nice with everyone else and not take too many waves, and for quick power on take off's, like everyone else.

I'd recommend trying a pair of the Kicks. There was a pair of Large that didn't sell on Ebay, so you might try contacting the seller through ebay and work a deal if that's your size.

Closed item# 160215454835

Hope that helps.

Where are you in Fl? I grew up in Gainesville, surfing mostly up around St. Augustine: Blowhole, A Street, Vilano etc.

T
MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MIK911 »

Saw a pair of Churchills--Black/Orange. Are these similar in stiffness to the Blue/Yellow ones?
Nov

Post by Nov »

Smokin Rock wrote:toobs bluntcuts 8) soft, comfortable with a flat top the grips the deck nicely.
some neophyte to the site asks the dreaded flipper question and soon after Albert and Nov pounce with the don't wear any argument. :lol: :roll:
then the flippered guys respond with venom concerning the need that older, fatter kneeboarders have for flippers.
like the movie Groundhog Day. it just happens over and over and over and over....... :lol:
if kneeboarding dies it'll be because we've f%ckin bored ourselves to death :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm fairly sure that this is the first time I've explicity argued against wearing flippers. I could be wrong. Either way, it's good to have some sort of discussion.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Nov wrote: :lol: I know you're joking, but let me put it like this; .... They're not a necessary part of kneeboarding in any sense.
no not necessary but I am feeble
IF in my younger days I had started without flippers and IF I had not had such a long break from surfing I may be able to try without.
Being out of the water for so long I am having trouble finding the water fittness to get through a session with any degree of form

the cramps kill and for this reason alone I may take the plunge and go flipperless

OR .. perhaps
when I grow up ... I can be so big and strong like Nov

DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

Smokin Rock wrote:toobs bluntcuts 8) soft, comfortable with a flat top the grips the deck nicely.
Gimme an AMEN to that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh well at least we're not asking "how to take wax off" :lol: :lol:
I'm interested in apathy
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

[/quote]I'm fairly sure that this is the first time I've explicity argued against wearing flippers. I could be wrong. Either way, it's good to have some sort of discussion.[/quote]

sorry. i'm old, fat and mean and figured if i should throw anyone under the bus with Albert it might as well be you. i'm not particularly fond of any young, fit whippersnappers who can ride sub 5.10 inch boards without flippers so please don't take my geriatric ramblings personally....i hate all of you. 8) :lol: :lol:
i think we need a new forum heading.......
TOPICS THAT HAVE BEEN ABSOLUTELY BEATEN TO DEATH BUT FOR SOME REASON STILL NEED TO BE PERIODICALLY REHASHED.
someplace to put the next quad vs. tri debate 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
jdc

Post by jdc »

"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
hey Mason, where does this come from?

From a different perspective if one repeats a formula for long enough it becomes a convention.

thus it could be suggested that if not wearing fins is your convention then on occasions wear them

if its your convention to wear them...take em off occasionally.

or none of the above which might mean convention and non convention have been left behind
i like surfing
DYdamo

Post by DYdamo »

ummmm,,yeah...

anyway,
Mike you made me laugh so hard
I think I weed myself..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm interested in apathy
halbs

Post by halbs »

DYdamo wrote:
Gimme an AMEN to that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh well at least we're not asking "how to take wax off[/b]" :lol: :lol:

now about that wax stuff...
getting there is often as good as getting there
FLwaves
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: FLWaves - my .02

Post by FLwaves »

SouthernTim wrote:Where are you in Fl? I grew up in Gainesville, surfing mostly up around St. Augustine: Blowhole, A Street, Vilano etc.
Hey Tim, thanks for the Kicks info. I'm in Lake Worth (by WPB). I go to St. Augustine about once a year...love the camping at Anastasia! St. Aug is such a nice laid back town. Closer to home, I mostly surf Fort Pierce, Jupiter, and (when I don't have time to drive) LW. You get to FL much anymore?

Even though I'm a newbie on this forum, I've read through the old threads and seen this fins vs. no fins argument rehashed over and over. You gotta laugh! Just remember, it's not only the old fat dudes who need fins. As a small woman with less upper body strength than the average guy, not to mention my long bodyboard history of wearing fins, and having had rotator cuff issues, I wouldn't go without 'em! :D
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I wanna know how many of you buy your flippers from stand-up shapers?

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FLIPPER CRAFTSMAN!

I get mine directly from Churchill Makapuu. Chill guy. (doh!)

Flippers REALLY come into their own in a Master's swim session. Blasting past the fit with a big smile on my face is a perfect way to start the day.

But, talk about stink-eye!

...especially when I execute the perfect Trowt-splash during the turns on the unsuspecting blokes resting in the next lane.

I've had to wet-towel-snap my way outta there more than once...

I'll take off my aluminum hat now, give you one sincere butt-wiggle, and now I'm off!
Mason

Post by Mason »

The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
hey Mason, where does this come from?

From a different perspective if one repeats a formula for long enough it becomes a convention.

thus it could be suggested that if not wearing fins is your convention then on occasions wear them

if its your convention to wear them...take em off occasionally.

or none of the above which might mean convention and non convention have been left behind
____Gee I cant remember the name of the book, it is a book of spiritual readings and meditations or the author, though it seems at time it was me err...O.K. no at times it seems he had me in mind when he thought of this passage.
"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
Bob

Fins

Post by Bob »

In the early 80's I started out with super Xl duck feet. Great fin but a little tight on the foot with a 3mm bootie. Learned from Paul Wuslich that if you wear duck feet upside down they are a size bigger. It worked but gave me a calcium deposit or surf knot on the top of my right foot.
I then swithced to Churchhills. They were bigger and more comfortable on the foot. Then all fins started to be made really stiff so I switched to Wave Rebel fins and they were great as they fit a 5mm bootie. They are starting to go and nobody seems to sell them anymore. If any one wants to sell an old pair...?

Yesterday, I wore my new Da fins for the first time. I bought them because they fit a size 13 foot with a 5mm bootie. They worked pretty well but they are a little stiff for my tastes. I think I am in the minority here. Most people seem to like the stiff fins. They are close enough that I think I can get used to them. Da fin is a good fin and may be a solution to your dying duck feet problem
Kauaikneelo

butt wiggle

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Thanks Trowt, you just killed my whole mental image of "butt wiggle" :lol:

Now I need to get back to the sand where the wahines hang out, act like the old lecher that I am, and get my mental image back in line. Another whole day of stink eye from the young tight ones wearing less material than a napkin :shock: , really does make you feel old. :cry:

By the way I dont think we talked THIS to death. :lol: :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi