Trestles Under the Gun Again May 28 Deadline

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Trestles Under the Gun Again May 28 Deadline

Post by surfhorn »

Go to Surfrider's "Soup" newsletter and you can simply fill in the blanks and send a message to the Federal gov't. handling this.end of May deadline so get it on.

COASTAL COMMISSION DECISION APPEALED TO THE FEDS

The Transportation Corridor Agency is trying to revive its plan to build the 241 Foothill-South Toll Road through San Onofre State Beach. They have asked the U.S. Secretary of Commerce to override the California Coastal Commission's denial of the road.

Remember, on February 6, 2008 the California Coastal Commission voted to deny the 241 Foothill South Toll Road through San Onofre State Beach. Following thousands of pages of written comments and a 14 hour hearing attended by thousands, the Commission listened to reason and to the law by rejecting the toll road application.

Unfortunately the agency planning this Toll Road has appealed the Coastal Commission’s decision to the U.S. Secretary of Commerce. The Secretary is accepting comments from the public on this appeal until May 28th. The people in D.C. need to hear from Californians and people from all over the world who care about San Onofre and Trestles!

Your voice is needed! Don't let the TCA's lobbyists be the only influence on this important decision!

Simply click below to send a letter to the Secretary asking that he DENY the Toll Road appeal. And please feel free to edit the letter template we have provided as personal comments are the most effective.
kbing since plywood days
randiego

Post by randiego »

This is the guy we're talking about here. Carlos Gutierrez, US Secretary of Commerce:
On 6 December 2007, Harper's Magazine contributor Scott Horton reported that Gutierrez has Turkish writer Adnan Oktar's Atlas of Creation —a book that offers an Islamic version of creationism and blames Charles Darwin for modern terrorism, including the 9/11 attacks— for display on a stand at the entrance to his US government office.
The bad news: As anyone who's been paying any attention knows, the Bush Administration doesn't care about laws - they only care about taking care of their cronies. They HATE environmentalists of any stripe, as a matter of pride.

The good news: 1) We only have 9 more months of the Bush nightmare, and 2) the Coastal Commission law/process has been tested in Federal Courts before - it's a solid law.

By all means submit comments... guessing here that they'll read them then immediately overturn the CC's decision. I always figured that this was one we'd have to fight for...

<end rant>
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

And notice Bush's call today to start drilling for oil in ANWAR and everywhere else in the US and to immediately build those clean nuclear power plants.

This coincides with the oil industry's new PR TV commercials that started 2 weeks ago. The spokeswoman says we have plenty of energy (oil) right here in the good 'ol USA for all our energy needs until 2060 if we just start drilling now.

What happens to our great, great grandchildren in 2060?
kbing since plywood days
hansel
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by hansel »

wow thats a low blow just going over the California Coastal Commission. dont even get me started about him, we have so many ideas and proven methods of harnessing energy, and the government dosnt want it because it would mean that they would need to change their entire infrastructure. like geothermal, probably the best way to get energy. the food prices are also going up on the east coast, due to fuel prices, as the fuel increases the truckers need to have higher prices and we get screwed. i hope the next president will do something about it, but who cares about the little guy.
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

But here is some good news for you, my caliwhacker friends :twisted: After having been shut out in their bid to build new liquefied natural gas plants on your fine coastline, the Northern Star Co. has duped the simple minded city commission of Astoria OR. into locating The Bradwood Landing L.N.G. plant a few miles east of the mouth of the Columbia River. And what's the good news for you, you might ask :?: Well, I'll tell you. The gas from the tankers will flow into the Palomar gas pipeline, head due South until it reaches its final destination....... California :!: Ha, ha, We get the plant and the environmental damage, shipping/fishing disruption etc. and you get the gas :idea: You are forever in our debt. ( or at least you owe me a wave :wink: )
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
hansel

Post by hansel »

thats the thing. nobody cares about the water, or the ice caps. as long as they're little nich is alright than everything is fine, they were proposing a plane on long island to put energy turbines out in the ocean in front of jones/gilgo (a main surfing beach) and that got shot down because they said it would disturb the view. i mean seriously. i think they look awsome. how can people be so closed minded and say no to helping the enviroment lowering energy costs.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Totally predictable Federal response:

REGION: Feds say toll road won't trigger extinction

Welcome to an Executive Branch run by corporatist Republicans. Science, reason and the common good simply don't matter.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

hansel wrote:thats the thing. nobody cares about the water, or the ice caps. as long as they're little nich is alright than everything is fine, they were proposing a plane on long island to put energy turbines out in the ocean in front of jones/gilgo (a main surfing beach) and that got shot down because they said it would disturb the view. i mean seriously. i think they look awsome. how can people be so closed minded and say no to helping the enviroment lowering energy costs.
Ted Kennedy said the same thing basically when he voted against allowing windmills 8 miles offshore of MV. Ruin the view. Hmmm, didn't know you could always see 8 miles offshore around here, not to mention color camoflauge, and the curvature of the earth. :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I was just thinking here :shock: I might make a decent politician. :shock: I could shove some legislation through in the middle of the night attached to some pork, and allow Trestles to only be used by Kneeboard surfers to ease future overcrowding. I mean who would know the difference in Washington. 8) :lol: :twisted:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
hansel

Post by hansel »

haha mike, sounds like a plan i really think you've got something here :lol:
gumby

Post by gumby »

Really just put in the road. That extra few miles of road will not kill the surf. Infact a larger parking lot would help. Runoff? there is so much crap that flows into the ocean as it is. If we spent 1/2 of what we spent on this cleaning up on the beach we would be better off.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Believe me, I'm not a traffic control expert, but, from a traffic perspective, this seems to follow a trend... East-West vs. North-South

It seems that North-South corridors are near impossible with the spread of the population. Since the population is expanding to the East, they want access.

For example, in SD there's the 5 and the 15. Sure, the 805 splits off, and then the 163 helps a bit further South.

I'm still confused as to why they put the East-bound connector of the (is it 156) North of the 805/5 connector. Shouldn't there be more of a grid approach to help distribute traffic?

So, with the proposed road, along comes more development. These are folks that will either have to jog east or west to head north or south.

Is part of this proposal to develop more north/south corridors? Or, is the idea that it takes pressure off of north-lying and south-lying east-west routes, like the 78?

I'm just sayin' cause the north-south bound routes suck already, and adding more people doesn't seem to ease the flow...

BTW, Wino... Jack... et al... how IS that 805/5/15x connection going these days?

:?: :?: :?:
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

For those of you who use the 5 around San Clemente and Oceanside, know how bad it is. :roll: This IS NOT about access, or even the surf!!! Its about development. Its about BIG developers who pay off the politicians who then give them what they want. DUH.. Its about raping and pilaging everthing these corporatist pigs come into contact with. Its about GREED. Its never enough...
And Jerry, I would like to think that the City Commission of Astoria OR. is not simple minded. But the reality of it, simple minded or not, is the fact that they were having there palms greesed by the big oil company. Its about selfishness. Its not for the greater good of this country, its about ME!!! and MYSELF!!! There is no plural in american vocabulary anymore. I deal with 200 to 500 people a day from all corners of this country, and its a joke. ME, I WANT, I DON'T CARE ABOUT OTHERS. Oh and the time out babies that are now young adults :roll: who have NEVER been told NO..
And now a new freeway, for what???? So a small privleged few can make even more money? While the rest of us who live here lose hours/days of our lives and suffer in traffic. F-THAT!!!!!
And Bob, the 5, 805 merge SUCKS!!! The back up begins around 2:30pm. The 15 is really bad to.
Thanks for letting me vent...
Greg
A.K.A.
NIPPLES
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Boy Greg, you are right! You took the words right out of my mouth. That is what it has always been about the whole development of Cali. The developers and corperations get rich, and everybody else gets screwed. :evil: Oh yeah, it's ME, MYSELF, and I.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Greg,

Boy did you ever hit the nail on the head. The time out babies can't even comprehend the word no, much less accept that it was directed at them. Society in general is circling the drain, :twisted: nobody gives a damn about anyone else. :( I guess most people took that bumper sticker slogan " He who dies with the most toys wins " a little too seriously.