Freedom

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Freedom

Post by surfhorn »

I'm free at last- no more teacher's dirty looks.

Wait a minute........, I'm the teacher. So I guess it should be 'no more idiot drooling student's clueless looks.

Man, what a long semester that saw maximum work and little water time.
I now have until mid August to cool my jets on the beach. Popping down to Sta. Monica Weds -Sunday for some time with my daughter's and grandson at the beach.

Hope the souths kick in soon.
kbing since plywood days
Masons
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Masons »

Right on, hope you enjoy summer!

I'm also free after this week, just got some finals to get through then graduation and off to work a career for my life!! :x

This summer looks to be an active one, got some decent south in today even up here in SB we are seeing a nice little swell mix.
Scott

Post by Scott »

And some us school admin-types are on a 12-month contract. :(

Can't complain, though. I'll get my days off whenever there's some swell this summer; love the flexibility
FLwaves
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by FLwaves »

Scott, you beat me to it, I was gonna say the same thing about being a 12 month school employee :D Yeah, it's not so bad during the summer, with 6 hour work days, no kids or parents around, and a nice 2 week vacation in the middle of July. No complaints here. Enjoy the summer 8)
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Wow!
I can't even imagine having that much time off!

Hey Masons, enjoy it while you can. Work is needful and brings the accoutrements of the pleasurable american life, but get all the waves when you can, you may find yourself working too much without your control.

If you can, try to figure out a way to make it so you can surf all you can.
This is one of my lifes small regrets. . .

If not, try to make your lifes' work be meaningful at least - my consolation in this life.

Speaking of work, been sooo busy for months.

Never had such a busy period treating so many really sick people.
Even if I could go for a surf and it wasn't typical small blown out summer afternoon beach break, I'm just too tired!

Took off a week ostensibly to get some surf(2 weeks ago) and it was the flattest week in 2008! Couldn't even find surf in Big Sur!!

You guys getting it are killing me.

You are stoked and blessed!

Whoa, I sound like a bummer. . .

Well, it maybe will make someone out there feel good knowing that someone out there has it worse!! :lol:

I guess I need to buy some lotto tickets. . .

Hollister Ranch here I come!! :D :D

By the way Dan, how did you do in the supervisors race?

And Congrats Masons!!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Fredo,

I'm comin' down to see you sometime this summer for a surf. Stir something up for me!

You might remind this group what you do for a living. Makes teaching seem easy by comparison...
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Hey Bro

I hope this summer something comes through!

Its interesting that you should mention it, but I've pondered starting a thread that would let us describe what we actually do for a living.

We all are a bit incognito behind our user names and being that Kneeboarders are arguably non conformists and interesting by nature, I'm sure that it would be a treasure trove of discovery to find out the interesting things we do to pay the bills.

Maybe it might even help to know someone who could help you with a plumbing question, explain what Noam Chomsky believes,say a prayer,or give advice on digital rectal exams :shock:

We are family.

Kinda like a Kneelo Yellow Pages!

I treat Cancer patients with Radiation AKA a Radiation Therapist
Iñigo
Local (More than 25 post)

Freedom really travels slow

Post by Iñigo »

It is really attractive some situations. Look mine.
I spent 10 years as a Spanish and Literature teacher in the secondary school with three months of vacation in summer ( 2 and a half to be exact). But students and not having a fix destination made me change the job. I have been another ten years running a little enterprise of metrology based in granites with one of my brothers. Only one month free, in August but with the flexivility of surfing if there was a good swell). Again I have decided to change my job and I will be free for two months, August and September and in October I will start working as a cooker. I think next year I will not have so much time but still I am confident that I will be able of surfing all the mornings if there is anything to surf and I am not compromised with my two daughters or wife.
My best wishes for everybody
RT

Post by RT »

Masons,

Take fredo's recommendations to heart. From '94 to '04 I was a tech freelance ghostwriter making incredible money and surfing my brains out at our area's best breaks on their best days. The tech stock explosion killed that gig and now I'm 8-5 m-f. Get it while you can; find a career you love and that gives you some freedom.

Nice that the souths are finally filling in of late. This old kneelo has finally been gettin' some after a long drought of sloppy junk.

Will be out this weekend with my nephew in tow. Give me a call if you're headed south bro. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning are definite sessions, somewhere between Overhead and Dume.

RT
Masons

Post by Masons »

I definetely hear you guys.. Need to payoff some student loans and get too it, I'm starting work with Santa Fe Natural Tobacco next week.

Cover camarillo to san luis obispo,, not a bad drive eh? Think I'll be able to find some surf between there on occasion :D

I'm definetely hoping to find some surf,, tuesday got a couple good lefts at con, nice peaks but mushy shoulders. Atleast something to surf !

RT, if theres swell around I'm hoping to get out sunday.