Soft "kneeboard" ?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Soft "kneeboard" ?

Post by Jerry »

Well, not really a kneeboard. But it looks like one. Check out the quad.
http://www.catchsurf.com "Y" Surfboards designed by Tom Morey. Anybody seen/rode one ? Might be kinda cool for traveling :roll:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

yep
there has been a little ... very little interest here in a soft possibility
and this unit is one

perhaps they could fit the fins in your position
perhaps they could make one a little wider

the trouble is ... when you ask for changes the price goes up and just pushes it past a worthwhile experiment

Liquid Shredder have a Fish
Blast had a soft board
??? (can't remember) ... have a 4'11" blackball beater

the largest BB I found was a Porpoise Board ... can't find a link at the moment

use the search here and you will find the previous threads

one day
you never know
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

yes,if not for morey,I would be surfing all by myself. Damn that morey. Damn him all to hell :!:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

How come everyone in the photos holding a board has a mask on? :wink:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
RMcKnee

Post by RMcKnee »

Obviously, they are international men of mystery.
knee_boarder

Re: bdfb

Post by knee_boarder »

CaptKneemo wrote:yeah, morey didnt f it up enough the first time around, what we need is waaaaayyyyyy more folks in the water! :twisted: :twisted:
I'm not that convinced he did! :o

(anyway if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have got into kneeboarding, I started on a pop out longboard, got my eye blacked out on the very first wave I caught on it - bungee cord leash - so went bodyboarding for about 3 years, one of only 4 of us at Woolacombe, I was the second person to get a bodyboard in Woolacombe, until 2 out of the 4 went kneeboarding)

At Woolacombe, there's always a lot of people (tourists) playing around on the inside on bodyboards but very rarely someone actually out back riding waves.

The number of people on stand up boards though has increased exponentially in the last 20 years.
RMcKnee

masked marauders

Post by RMcKnee »

Funny thing though, over here we usually find that the best surfers get the most waves, and the most fun is had by the one with the biggest smile. Always true, no matter how many speedbumps in the line-up. :wink:
jules
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Just ordered a Morey Catchsurf YQuad

Post by jules »

Hi,

I posted here before about switching from fiberglass to softer boards due to my head injury and broken nose. Well, after seeing the link to Catchsurf, I contacted the company and they said they'd sold a few twins and quads to kneeboarders. I decided to give it a shot and have got a 5'0 YQuad on order. I'll let you know if it's any good.

Hope you're all staying wet. I hear Norbert may be stirring up some action this weekend.

Have fun!
PainlessJen

Post by PainlessJen »

Someone lighter than me might have fun with the 4'11 INT I have been using. Tri-fin, (FutureFin boxes,) soft top with fiberglass bottom. Bit much rocker to me, and only about 20 1/2" wide, (used a 12" ruler to measure, so might be off a bit lol,) so needs to be a light person for it to be stable enough to pop up on. It is super speedy though, and a lot of fun just on my tummy for the time being. I think the INT are a bit more money than the Morey ones, (forget the actual name of the board) but very high quality. Just another softtop option for ya, Jules.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."
-Groucho Marx
jules

Kneelo Softboard quiver

Post by jules »

Hi PainlessJen,

Thanks for the reply.

I am familiar with the board you are talking about. I've got a similar one in my softie quiver, actually. It's a Surface brand board, fish, 4'11", thruster, soft top and fiberglass bottom. I like it, but I'm not as thrilled with the tri-fin set up as I would be with a quad. I have another made by INT that is a box-tail, 4'11" thruster, with the same kind of soft top and fiberglass bottom. They both have Future fins. The INT is pretty good too, but again I'd have liked a quad set up for the stability factor. They are super easy to duckdive though, which, to me, is a big deal.

My latest board is the 5'0 Catchsurf (Morey) fish board that is soft all around (no fiberglass bottom, but it is slick) and is a quad with O'fishL fins. I love the stability of it and it catches waves well but it is a bit slower than the fiberglass-bottom soft boards, I think. Still, an all around fun board and I can't ding it, which is great because I am the ding-queen. Urgh!

I got it for a great price by calling up Catchsurf directly. It was a "blemished" board and I got it for like half off but I can't see any difference between it and the non-blemished boards, so I'm stoked! If you want to check it out, go to www.catchsurf.com and click on YQuad. Or, if you're in San Diego area, Surfride carries them if you want to see it up close and personal. They also carry the INT and Surface brands, as do many other shops in the county.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Catchsurf or the INT or Surface boards (if you can find a quad set up that would be a bonus in my book) for anyone who wants an alternative to fiberglass (and dingability!). Great on the knees too! Also, I obviously like the smaller sizes, but all these boards are available in larger sizes as well.

Take care and stay wet, everyone!