Brand new to Kneeboarding

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

jules
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Congratulations on going kneelo

Post by jules »

Welcome! I started kneeboading a few years ago as a hybrid between stand up and bodyboarding and I love it. I picked up my first board used from a dude I met at the kneeboard gatherings a few years ago--a Blast Hawaii board shaped by Bud McCray. From there I went on to get a kneeboard custom shaped, but I've kind of given up on fiberglass since I broke my nose (not surfing, but still...). My best success has been on those black ball beaters (4'11") that are fiberglass bottom but have soft tops. INT makes one as does Surface. I'm a chick though and these other dudes may be soley into fiberglass kneeboards, but as former bodyboarder you might appreicate the sponge factor, I dunno. Anyway, best wishes and HAVE FUN!

Jules
kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Congratulations on going kneelo

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

jules wrote:Welcome! I started kneeboading a few years ago as a hybrid between stand up and bodyboarding and I love it. I picked up my first board used from a dude I met at the kneeboard gatherings a few years ago--a Blast Hawaii board shaped by Bud McCray. From there I went on to get a kneeboard custom shaped, but I've kind of given up on fiberglass since I broke my nose (not surfing, but still...). My best success has been on those black ball beaters (4'11") that are fiberglass bottom but have soft tops. INT makes one as does Surface. I'm a chick though and these other dudes may be soley into fiberglass kneeboards, but as former bodyboarder you might appreicate the sponge factor, I dunno. Anyway, best wishes and HAVE FUN!

Jules
AMEN! Kneeboarding is bodyboarding + surfing, at least it seems so to the "new schoolers" who have surfed and bodyboarded before starting to kneel. I was heavily into it, but then I snapped a skeg off of my board on a low tide barrel-session. My board is getting pretty thrashed too. Next time I get paid, though, I am going to try to find a board in better condition. Personally, I like the departure to fiberglass, as I switch between kneeboarding and bodyboarding. However, I would not mind using a "sponge" kneeboard.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
skansand

Post by skansand »

arrggg, kneelingbro dont let that flashpoint die!

Il give you 50 bucks for it.. no questions asked! as a bonus il tell you where kneelo cove is :lol:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Enjoy

Post by Doc Turbo »

Welcome to the sport.

This website is an incredible source of information, search it repeatedly. Questions on board size, shape, pads, swim fins or not, everything you need to know, probably has been answered.

As for boards, recently Bud of Blast has posted many, many boards at excellent prices.
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by loonylen »

just get yourself the best board, a 5'10" flashpoint pintail tri fin, Bruce has the right formular for any newbee kneelo to have fun and learn
METALCOASTIE

THANKS

Post by METALCOASTIE »

Thanks to all who are giving the info and insight into these highly addicting sport.

Chris

Thanks for all your help and the time out to show me the rope I really appreciate it. I will stop buying boards from play it again sports. lol

Joshua
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

well now, we have a new coastie kneelo in san diego and i'll be transferring out next summer.

we should be able to make friends easily since we'll be able to drive in to the point loma area.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

gogglefog,

you're going to be stoked, bra. I was stationed out in Charleston for a year and became pretty intimate with Washout and some of the other breaks in SC...never made it to NC (wish I had). I move around alot with my job...sometimes it takes me away from the coast :cry: Maybe next time I'll get to sample some of the juice in NC.

As far as SD, you'll love it. A bit more crowded, a lot more juice. The Cliffs and nearby beachies are great, and VERY kneeboarder friendly. A very good contigent of KBers there and in the La Jolla area. You'll be within a STONE'S throw of some of the very best KB reefs in SoCal.

Good Luck and Good Waves. 8)