Kneeboarders age today?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Bob Gove
Local (More than 25 post)

Kneeboarders age today?

Post by Bob Gove »

I'll be 60 in July, but like a good wine, some things get better with age! In 2004 I went to Tahiti and freaked out at the Aussie boards that were 3" wider than mine with fins in the middle of the board!. Since then my shaper James Mangano and I have evolved my fish template to what it is today. As a result, my surfing has improved, partly due to better boards, but a lot of credit goes to watching competitors in the last 3 world titles and 5 national events and the state of the art of kneeboarding that goes on there. Looking forward to the nationals in Santa Cruz next year, and above all the World Comp in Phillip Island!
Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Scott »

Bob, and your surfing shows the improvement--you're full rail bottom turn to immediate gouging lip carve in bigger waves is one of the best on planet. You should do well in that upper age division at Philips Island, but also in the Open Division as you did in NZ (especially if the waves have some size).
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Bob Gove

K eeboarders age today?

Post by Bob Gove »

Thanks for the kudos Scott, just trying to set standards for the young whippersnappers! In all seriousness, I owe a lot of my style to the handles on my boards, they may seem like a kook item, but offer an incredible amount of control in many circumstances, particularly off the bottom. I can pull the rail out of the water with a lot more force that transfers to the tail, squaring off the turn, sending the board to the top quicker. At that point a lot of times I cut back without the use of the handles dragging a hand to pivot. They also come in handy on drops that are bumpy, or air drops, as well as the occasional barrel roll! I would love to see someone else give them a try, if anyone wants information on installation, send me an email!
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

bob, way back in the good old days of the late 70's i met a sth oz kb er Paul was his name he lived down near victor harbour and owned a health food store in said town, anyway he used to glass rope handles onto the decks of his boards he loved em, said the same things you did. [he also grew the best zambezi heads in old elevated cement water tanks] but thats another story.
probably how he came up with the handles :shock: AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

First board had handles , pre leggy days so they were an important part of swim prevention . But whilst punching through a wave once lost grip of one handle while the other hand was jammed under the other whilst the board completed 2 or 3 rotations almost twisting my hand off at the wrist . Fortunately leggys arrived soon after and the handles were given the big flick , but as you say Bob the leverage these give can be an advantage in certain circumstances .
Nov

Post by Nov »

womble wrote:Most kneeboarders are so old that they don't break wind ... they break dust. :shock:

Must disagree with the Golf comparison though ... the fact is there just hasn't been any young guys capable of dethroning the likes of Sparrow and co.
That's because there are no young guys. Prodigal-like talents like Simon, Kelly Slater, Mike Stewart are one in god knows how many. Tens of thousands? Millions?
The fact is, out of 100 surfers, ~30 of them are going to be talentless/mediocre, another ~40 are going to be your average, run-of-the-mill surfer who will never shine, another 20 of them are going to be above average, and in the remaining 10, you'll find your true talents, with maybe one of them being in the calibre that could potentially see them go on the 'CT or win a world title. And that's only if they nurtured that talent, a lot don't.

So with only, what? Maybe 20-30 keen, full-time kneeboarders under the age of 25 around the world (and that's being generous), there is no mystery as to why older kneelos keep winning everything. There's no one to take their place. There simply isn't enough talent in the sport.
albert

Post by albert »

couldnt agree more Nov
Emu Legs
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Emu Legs »

SO WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF KNEEBOARDING.
WHEN THE ONE'S TAKING IT UP ARE THE SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF KNEELOS. :?:
albert

Post by albert »

Emu Legs wrote:SO WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF KNEEBOARDING :?:
thats a huge question isnt it... :wink:
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

IMHO what we are doing with the local boardriding club - Southbridge - in having a kneeboard section and mixing with the 'said' norm and by not being 'those weird guys who ride those fat boards' let the younger members see what it is all about - last pointscore 4 young fella's (exceptional boardriders anyway) asked if they could have a go and compete, I agreed I'd get them boards if they were serious. They had a go and were impressed with the fact it wasn't as easy as it looked and I was impressed by the openess of the younger guys willing to give it a go - no elbows in sides or 'nudge nudge wink wink', these guys didn't have barriers up to trying it like some of the older surfers do. Now I'm not saying that we have a new set of Kneeboarders here - they're, as I said, excellent stand up surfers in they're own right (a couple actually representing the Southcoast in the regional titles) but the barriers are'nt there. Kneeboarding is not for everybody (thank God) but by being 'amongst it' barriers aren't built up against it because it isn't cool so anyone that would like to have a go, will. Next, once we have found "a likely candidate" we have in place a sponsorship deal with Drift Kneeboards to foster these new members to the 'elite society of the Kneeboarder'. The fact that sons & daughters of kneeboarders are coming through as well, such as Emu Legs is to Mal, and M.J's daughter etc of course Matt & Tom Nov, is bloody terrific. We're never going to have the ideal situation of talented youth the likes of Simon F etc coming through all the time but with positive thinking followed by positive actions we'll be more likely uncover the rare gems that are definitely out there.
whew, what a rant......just saying, that's all.

Cheers Wolruss
Last edited by wolruss on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Sorry, me again guys, let me just say that having talent the likes of Albert being part of this "movement" lets the younger crew see that it is a viable option, also being accessible to the up and coming is priceless.
Southbridge Boardriders is being run by some very forward thinking guys, one of whom grew up surfing with Peter Crawford, and are establishing some very forward thinking projects like having a section for the ? to 10 yr olds.
I am, as WAKA, really stoked that our club is involved with these guys.
Shite, he's at it again....I'll shut up now.

Cheers Wolruss
Jeff Wallis

Post by Jeff Wallis »

51 here :shock:
tom nova

Post by tom nova »

14 here and not going to give it up
finger

Post by finger »

Gary here 54 next month
Have joined the K S V club and it has improved my surfing in a very big way. So having more fun in the water than ever now.
Kev

Post by Kev »

yiiiiieep
to both
tom and finger
14 to 54 and it just keeps getting better
8)