General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

808norm
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Swim fin choices

Post by 808norm »

Aloha!

I'm in the process of looking for another fin pair since my Vipers are about to retire from wear and tear.

I'm looking to choose between Dafin, Kicks or the new Vipers. I guess comfort for me would be top choice, then thrust second. My current Vipers have been great, accept for the blisters and cramping over 2 hours in the water, that's why comfort comes first.

What are you using and why :?:

Any feedback would be great!
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

This is my opinion only
For comfort Da Fin can't be beat and the thrust is good ,not as much as Vips or Ducks though (Kicks are the same fin just smaller blades so there is less thrust)
I haven't used te new MS vipers so I can't compare those.

If I use Ducks or Vipers I have to wear fin sox or booties.

This site has good prices

http://marine-rescue.com/catalog/catalo ... egory%3D11

Jimi
TC

Post by TC »

I have not used either of those fins but I have the pod PF2 fins now and they have worked well. Wonderful thrust, no blisters but on the Central Coast we do where fin socks my only problem with these fines is after a couple hours I have foot cramping issues. I was wondering if anyone has tried or uses the TECH 2 SILICON FINS. If so can you give us all your input? They look like they could be a good choice and as they are silicon and are reported to be better on those naked toes, as far as blisters go and on foot cramps. Any input would be great. :D Cheers TC
fooj
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by fooj »

Not the new MS Vipers. You will get launched wearing them.

Orange Vipers V5s rock for anything up to 6 feet. They are more comfortable than the yellow dots seems their rubber is softer.
bongbong
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
randiego

Post by randiego »

jimithesaint wrote:This site has good prices

http://marine-rescue.com/catalog/catalo ... egory%3D11

Jimi
Hey Jimi... thanks for the link, that's a great price. I think it's time to try something different. At least they're the same color as my churchills 8) 8)
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

I'm with Fooj on the MS Vipers, test drove a pair,expecting a lot cause Stewart charges insane surf but although comfortable they seemed sadly underpowered. Still looking for a worthy replacement for my aging Scott fins, short / manouverable , bladeflex w/ good snapback.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Masons

Post by Masons »

My dad always wore Scotts.. Awesome fins.

Viper V5's orange dot as poster above. Great fins; body surfing, body boarding or kneeriding, you won't be disappointed.
SamC

Post by SamC »

The new duck feet suck. There sizes dont fit right for not having half sizes. The ones I have are too small for my feet but they are too long and super heavy. I cut them shorter to reduce the weight, but still the size problem. I tried going up one size and they were practically falling off. The back and blue ones were much better.
KEL

Post by KEL »

This might need to be a different topic, but I will ask it here to see the response... I have mostly used vipers, (duckfeet early on but vipers for the most part) My ankles and the tops of my feet hurt alot..........kinda like arthritis...... anybody with the same problem. ( I sort of thought it was association with thrust....the more the thrust, the hader it it is on your feet)?????????????
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

The new duckfeet are very stiff and very heavy...total crap. I had to buy a few pair of the blue ones on ebay . anybody want a pair of SXL new duckfeet ? I will give them to you!!
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Many of the blue Duck Feet are very stiff as well. All of the newer fins need some serious modifications to the ribs (center rib removed).
808norm

Post by 808norm »

Mahalo for the great feedback, I appreciate everyones input on this, I know this subject was brought up in a previous post, but it is always good to keep up with technology when it arrives!!...or if there is any.

@ Jimi - Thanks for the link Jimi, that's an awesome price!

@ Kel - My feet hurts the same way after, in fact I just notice like a calcium buildup just below my second toe, the area that pushes pressure against the fin when thrusting....that's why I posted this question and got great answers!
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Sam and Bill are any of those Duck Feet your'e referring to the V-Duck, or only the full blade blue /green ? ( yes the blue-green is pretty stiff, the "Navel-Orange was a lot more friendly to the feet and legs) Anybody tried the V-Ducks ? Nobody out here has seen em.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
jimithesaint

Post by jimithesaint »

Well I am glad too hear y'all don't like the new (green/blue) duck feet.

I live on the East Coast - somewhat isolated from the KB community. I had read that a large # of guys liked DF, so I bought a pair. My first session I thought "Gawd these things are huge- and stiff as hell!" I cut a couple inches off and ground down the center rib and thinned the outer ones so they have more Flex... ah much better.

The V-Duck are the same as the new Green/Blue DF's just with a different color scheme aand cut down 2 inches (and the pair I got wasn't even cut off straight) I have a pair modified to my liking for winter - the 1 good thing is for me the XXL fit my feet with 7 mil winter booties
Jimi