Share YouR "FIRST STOKE"That Hooked az a Kneelo!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

3rd degree nipple rash :shock:
Bill F
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill F »

Great board for Big Pipe....without flippers 8)
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

I remember my first Kneeboard ride like it was yesterday: Saturday Jan 17th 2006! I was working in Melbourne, home is Brisbane, my son said he was coming down with one of his mates and wanted to go surfing. I was wandering past a local surf shop in Northcote and saw a 5'7" Stump kneeboard in the shop, out of curiosity I bought it.
Saturday Jan 17 2006, Smiths Beach Philip Island, after a 7'2" stand up the board seemed minuscule.
First wave 3 foot right hander belly boarded to the bottom and proceeded to get bounced off. Second wave 3 foot right hander got to my knees as the board dropped down the face into a screaming (uncontrolled) bottom turn straight up the face and into a brilliant aerial (even more uncontrolled). That was it I was hooked! Surfed until the cramps were too much. Drove down to Smiths beach the next day for more fun.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

Bill F wrote:Great board for Big Pipe....without flippers 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Hey Rob, your spot on about the rash the most hideous pain known to man, midget farrely model the one with the blue rubber single fin, you knew it bit but you kept using them anyway :lol:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Hoppo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Hoppo »

1968 Newport Beach CA. My family rented a house on the beach every summer for 2 weeks. I'm 13 years old, and bellyboarding and body surfing. One day 2 surfer dudes come up to me and tell me I should come to a surf movie tonight at Newport beach H.S. and to bring my sister !!! Told my sister and she looks at the dudes and says ... Sure, I'll take you. The dude's give her directions and walk off smiling. We show up at the movie .... The Innermost Limits Of Pure Fun. The movie ends and I'm hooked. Got back to the house and told my father ... I NEED a kneeboard. Took me to Greek Surfboards and a foam spoon get's put in the back of the station wagon. End of story. OH !! The surfer dudes got shut down. My sister told them she had to get ME home. So sad.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

:D :D :D :D :D
Now we just need to wait to see if one of us fesses up to being one of those surfer dudes :twisted:
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
red

Post by red »

Too poor to buy a new surfboard
Had a 5'8" single fin (were there any other kinds back then?). Tried using it for a kneeboard.
Somehow got hooked.
38 years on I'm a stoked gremmie.

Red

PS I know what you mean about rash. When I first started using padded decks (before we figured out that pouring melted wax neutralised the foam surface) I couldn't wear a shirt after because of nipple sensitivity.
sarj

Post by sarj »

A petrillo single fin out of the Frog House from Frank.
badknees1

First stoke

Post by badknees1 »

Maybe spring of 73. Had just seen a movie at Hermosa Beach Community Auditorium with Greenough in it, rolling from rail to rail on his knees at Rincon(?). Prior to this I was only body surfed the southbay and Laguna's Oak Street. Went out the next day to Wind n Sea in HB and bought a used maroon 4' 11" swallow tail single fin and some duckfeet and hauled it to Bolsa. It was a weekday, no state beach, no parking lot, no crowds, no longboards. Just rolling humps of red tide swells. Am I wrong but Old Bolsa had a different bottom them. I was lucky enough to catch my first kneelo that day. I was hooked.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Had been trying to knee ride for a while. Had a single fin 5'9" stand up board. Had been rideing at 56th St. but not really geting it. Got a twin Small Faces from Frog House. Went to north side HB pier 2-3ft. Second wave of the day took off left Bottom turn. Hit the lip and slid along with the wave at or near vertical for what seemed forever. Another bottom turn and again zippering the lip with even more speed. Rebound off the on comming white water. And that was it. It was mabe a sholder high wave. Just runnig along at vert at speed. That is what I saw other KB'rs doing. That is what I had just done :D
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Brad103
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Brad103 »

I started kneeboarding because my uncle(Clinton Bradfield) was the South African Kneeboard champion :) Sadly he passed away....so I also do it for him now. He is my inspiration as well as Clinton"Gigs" Cilliers, a great kneeboarder.
Port Alfred is the place to be
JACKSON

first stoke

Post by JACKSON »

stand up surfed for 40+ years. had some nerve damage in my foot . kept getting worse and i was pretty much washed up as a stand up. really bummed out . then i started seein quadfin post on elride site . started talking to him . thought ,i have nothing to lose. he loaned me one of his kbs and i was empressed.had fun. i have to admit i thought i was really stepping down going to a kb. lot of times where i surf in the gulf its small and weak and its not that much fun . but when its on , man i have a blast. and i allways have a curious audience.pulled my best really high off the lip yesterday . i was so stoked. timjng is so different on that move from stand up still learning. love it. thanks quadfin :D
SamC

Post by SamC »

I'll never forget the first full on barrel I ever got. Down at blacks beach, I took off on a little three or four footer, and the light green wave just slowly kept curling more and more over the top of me as if in slow motion as I dragged my hand along the face untill I was completely covered and through the peep hole of the barrel I could see my dad and another guy paddeling over the shoulder. I made it out of the barel and knew I would be kneeboarding the rest of my life. Both my dad and the other guy that saw me were super stoked on my barrel too.
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Blacks is one of the best waves in California...Sam did you ever get that red Flashpoint with fishbone graphic successfully repaired after snapping it at Blacks ? Was reminded of that post in album section as I recently ordered George Blair's new DVD " Those Who Gather ", and you and the fishbone flashie are in it. Great flick by the way, 40 min. of great kneeboarding at various North Shore breaks, accumulated by G.B. over the last five seasons.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.