KICKSFINS

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

KICKSFINS

Post by KED »

Okay, alright, yes yes yes, I get it, I know, yup... the bottom line is that which brand of fins to use is a personal preference thing. That said... just want to post that I've been seeing a lot spongers using Kicksfins this year. Have seen some being used in heavy surf and the spongers say they're "da bomb" :roll: for comfort. Very cool colors... they float... do not have long heavy blades, and no, I'm not promoting them. Just passing on an observation :lol:
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

if you mostly ride pin tails and insist on wearing flippers id say those kicks fins are Da Bomb.... but not for me cause the foot pockets too small ..

.kicks makes Da Fins too which i use most of the time....big foot pocket big blade..

but when i get on my pintail i use my blunt cut church hills...

here in cali the only people i see wearing kicks are drop kneer's and boogie chicks...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
METALCOASTIE

Post by METALCOASTIE »

I had them and the blade ripped. real soft foot pocket, really hard blade. dont get they. I have been using PODs #2 and love them. soft foot pocket i still wear a fin sock. good power
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I checked those fins on the website, they look really good. Kinda like the Hydro's I use in the winter with the big foot pocket. Is the rubber really soft? If you sand the outside top of the foot pocket part, you will get better traction on your board. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KED

Post by KED »

Foot pocket is super soft. metalcoastie says he had a pair and the blade ripped :shock: You might want to ask him what the circumstances were prior to the tear (had they been knicked on a reef, had the dog used 'em as a chew toy :lol: , etc.). I find that the round blade helps to not snag my leash as often as the straight/squared edge blades on my other fins do. That's a plus factor for sure. Thanks for the tip re. sanding... my waterlogged brain never would have thought of that! Waxing the end of the board might help in the same way? Just a thought...
KED

Post by KED »

METALCOASTIE wrote:I had them and the blade ripped
If I were you I'd take them back to the store where I bought them and ask for a new pair, a store credit, or a refund... but that's just me :lol:
KED

Post by KED »

Mike Fernandez wrote:I checked those fins on the website, they look really good.Is the rubber really soft? :wink:
Okay... just finished a three hour session with a new pair if Kicksfins - without fin socks... no blisters :P no owies :P no cramps :P no getting tangled in my leash :P no cursing the fins :P and they were not even broken in :!:
I think I'm going to try switching off with the Vipers and the Forcefins and see how that idea works... I do love the Forcefins but they sometimes snag the leash during takeoff and I end up swearing at them a lot. But they are super powerful. The Vipers? Stiff, powerful, plenty of torture (cramps) if I stay out too long :?
SouthernTim

My experience

Post by SouthernTim »

Hey all, I've been using Kicks exclusively for a year or so and really like them. The caveat is that I live inland (Atlanta, GA) and travel 2-3 times a year to surf, so my experience is limited to my last 3 surf trips.

Having said that, when I'm on a trip, we spend 6-8 hours in the water per day since they are few and far between, so I spend a lot of concentrated time in fins.

I find them extremely comfortable in the foot pocket. I wear a size 13-14 shoe, and wear my Kicks XL's w/no booties or fin socks. The only hint of blisters I get is just below the toe nail on my longest toes. A bandaid on each one before the session takes care of that problem.

I really like the low profile blade as well. Never slags the leash, or otherwise get in the way. I also somehow just like the idea of not having my fin edges hanging off the back of the board and changing the water flow off the rear rails. (Having said that, my friend Nate rips and wears his Makapuu's all the time and it doesn't seem to interfere with his surfing!)

I've surfed in Churchill Makapuu's and Toobs Blunt Cuts and they both have more power, no question. However, the Kicks have enough power to get me where I need to be in the lineup, and into most waves. One problem with surfing so infrequently is being out of surfing shape each trip. There is only so much training I am able to do that translates to surfing, so fatigue is usually what ends each session for me.

B/c of my big feet, I'm likely to get a pair of Da Fins in XXL so I can wear booties with them when I surf colder climates this coming year. In my experience, they are the only fins with foot pockets big enough to do for me. I don't wear them now b/c I prefer a smaller profile blade, but I've got to have something that'll hold my foot in a bootie.

Maybe that helps someone thinking about them....

Tim
fooj

Post by fooj »

Considering Kicks. Need to change things up a bit. Like going commmando then wearing Speedos. Any thoughts?
bongbong
skansand

Post by skansand »

My Da-fins blade tore, probably from a reef nick...the ankle straps were just starting to get cracks in em like my old chuchies... less then 2 years old....

using soft orange techs right now but not nearly as comfy or powerful....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
KenM

Post by KenM »

Kicks are for trids.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by fooj »

$hitty rubber?

Maybe I'll keep shaving my Vipers down to nubs. I need something to protect the tops of my feet and to help eggbeatering around in the lineup. That's it. I can arm paddle into waves.
bongbong