Surfing with a Shark

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

poorboy0007
Local (More than 25 post)

Surfing with a Shark

Post by poorboy0007 »

Went for a surf last week at West Coast (Torquay) on the way to ordering a new board from Michael Di @ Strapper (Photos to follow!). Bells and Winkipop were a bit crowded so we continued down to Spout Creek. 6 foot of clean beach peak with only 6 out! Before we went in 3 guys came out and said that they all saw a 2.5-3.0m shark just next to then and came in as they were freaked. We had driven for 2 hours and had our wetties on so we waited for about 10 mins and then decided to go in.

Absolutely one of the hardest things I have ever done. To paddle out when you know there is a rather large shark in the water. I have never sen 6 guys sit in the line up with the tips of their boards touching all fighting for the inside spot LOL Desperate for a surf or just plain stupid?? Maybe both.

As Laid Hamilton says " I will not let the fear of what could happen stop me from living life!"
Quick, lets paddle out before we come to our senses!!
gumby
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by gumby »

Trick is to not act like food :wink:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
poorboy0007

Post by poorboy0007 »

hahahahaha

Its a bit hard when you are wearing all black with black flippers and paddling like a injured seal!!
Quick, lets paddle out before we come to our senses!!
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

I was surfing with a buddy of mine, CP Odom, at San O and Curtis got hit by a shark. He says it was about 5-6 footer. Bumped him once and then turned around and came back for a second time. I saw him thrashing around. I thought he had gotten tangled in sea weed. But after I saw how white he was, I knew he wasn`t lieing to me about what had just happened.
He was on a blue board and I was on a black one.
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Had a really large Killer Whale cruise through the lineup yesterday. Was real large and the dorsal fin must have been at least 8 foot high.

My buddy I was with yelled something about a big splash and when I topped the next wave I told him it was a killer whale. I turned and he was half way to the beach. I got out also just to wach it cruise by.

When it went by the river the guys said all the seals flew up the river and were all really necking with their head high. Guess they knew what was going on and got out also.

I had seen the same KW a couple hours earlier when I was checking a reef break a few miles away, that I had surfed the day before. Even from up on the cliff the whale looked really big and made fast moves back and forth looking for something.
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed
Bill E.

Post by Bill E. »

Word has it that the killer whale did snack one of the seals when it was in front of the river. That would give good reason for the seals rippin up the river.

Every one is talkin about it, but it was an totally awsome sight, Something you dont see ever(just on TV). I am truely glad they like seals, they must be more fun to chase and probally taste better than fiberglass and fins.
Cars come and go, VW's live and breathe

Surfers come and go, Kneeboarders live and breed