Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

State park closures

Post by SFKneelo »

Coming in over the internets...

List of closures:

http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat ... parks.html

Good, bad or ugly?

(Syd, saw your other post... been REAL spotty lately on surfs)
stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

Whoa Bendbow lake is on the list!. I guess no more "reggae on the river" I just won the job to design the removal of that dam on the Eel river. The state wants us to analyze the impact of removing the dam on the HY 101 bridge and provide engineering plans to take it completely out. It is an old concrete flashboard weir dam that they would seasonally back up the Eel for recreational purposes. Its the Feds that are pushing for its removal because of its impact on salmon runs but the locals want it to stay. I have a feeling the public hearings are going to be very interesting. Now that the state is closing the park they will have no money to maintain it. I hope we can use explosives!!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Dang, looks like the yearly pilgrimage to Morro is off this Christmas. :cry:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

What does that mean, "closed"? As in, if you're anywhere on the state park property, even surfing off the beach, you can be cited???

Moss Landing??!!!!
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I was hoping they would close Sano to take the pressure of Church's and Trestle's but then an extra 200 longboarders would show at my other local spots.
Never leave well enough alone.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hey Scott! :D

I think 'closed' means semi-blocked, easily overcome car entry... and I doubt 'no trespassing'

In some cases, that may mean cones... don't know about enforcement of cars parked inside. McGrath is interesting in that regard.

For Moss, they have that gate. That could be perma-closed as the only obstacle... park at your own risk! :wink:

Edit: A bit odd... we received a State Parks offer earlier in the week. Not at the forefront on this week's agenda, but I was noodling the ROI for a $125 annual pass. Now it seems like a shot at the buzzer...
Last edited by SFKneelo on Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mowitdown
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by mowitdown »

Hello, Here is a website if u live in Calif. to tell your Representative to stop jerking around the parks. I enjoy going to many that they want to close.

http://my.calparks.org/site/PageServer? ... rkClosures
Caveman
Local (More than 25 post)

Better for Moss

Post by Caveman »

Imo .. it's a good thing for Moss ..
because people won't be able to go there and trash the place.
It will let the habitat re-grow on the dunes,
will keep the out of towners off the waves,
and most of the locals surf the dunes and know where to park.
You'll still be able to surf the waves.
All the access trails to the beach will be closed for the re-habitation project,
because all the out of towners would screw up the dunes.
And yes no parking because the gate will be closed and it's right off hwy 1.

So Mike Sears what's your opinion? Haven't seen you around in awhile!

And for Twin Lakes, that just means the access trail is closed,
so you walk around from the Harbor.

:lol:
randiego

Post by randiego »

Welcome to our future.

A park system that is the envy of the world is going to crumble and die. It's a question of what kind of society do we want to live in? What type of place do we want to hand off to our children? Do we want a decent society with parks, open space and robust services and infrastructure?

It's going to cost $$, and nobody wants to pay for it. Everyone's happy that they cut property taxes to the bone, but no one likes the resulting degradation of society. People freak out when someone suggests a .25cent increase in sales tax to help cover state revenue shortfalls due to the recession, or to pay for some critical service.

I'll gladly pay the extra $5 per year or whatever it takes. One less pint for me. It's a question of priorities, and ours are seriously out of whack.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I say close them all. They already get $60. a night to park an RV on a slab of asphalt, with one worker in the booth.
As long as my money is going to places like pakistan, it's not helping Americans.
Want it to change, don't pay more, ask for more of your tax money to be spent here. :idea:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
rooster

Post by rooster »

Have to agree with you Randy, and you too Mike.
My take on it is to cut out a lot of these " commitee's " that meet 2x a year and are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. So much pork in the state budget, we need to trim / cut out the fat.

Mike,

I am with you on your comment. I am sick of our tax dollars going to these countries that HATE us, and yet we give them billions in aid.
What the heck do you have to do to get AID for America?
Never trade luck for skill.
rooster

Post by rooster »

PS.

Mike,
Nice photo on the photo of the week, love to see fins during a stretched out bottom turn. 8) 8) 8)
Never trade luck for skill.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Baxk in 1989..the year of the quake..Moss landing was closed. I surfed by brains out with no crowds...I think that answers your question,Caveman.
"Dunes Local"
Fossil Man
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Fossil Man »

Ran Diego wrote:" everyone's happy that they cut property taxes to the bone", did they cut property taxes in my " golden state" ? The way things are going with CA's budget I figured they'd start flipping people upside down and shake em to see if any loose change falls out. Aside from reduction due to declining home values and the reluctant re-assesment by the" tax man", I can't imagine any drop in the property tax. If it's happened, I couldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet.
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.