General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

SA newbie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Kneeboard manouvres

Post by SA newbie »

Hi Guys,

The experienced masters will probably fall off their boards laughing at this request, but is there a site, booklet, video or anywhere I can get information about kneeboard manouvres!
Have got past the stage of bottom turns, cut backs etc and need to learn more! very few kneeelo's my side of Cape Town that I see regularly enough to learn from!
Andy
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Andy »

Sheez, Im still working on my turns after 30 years.... :)
Must be doing something wrong.

But seriously check out any of Simon Farrers movies. You cant do better. Im still stoked after watchingh for the 100th time :lol:
(Maybe that shameless plug will get me a complimentary DVD or something?)

Also scheck Youtube, lots of footage of varying quality.....

cheers

Andy
mmanners

Throwing spray

Post by mmanners »

See leglesstv.com, lots of great kneeboarding on there. I agree with the Sparrow DVD recommendation. Imagine yourself doing what you want to do while checking the surf,then go and try it. Being a newbie is good, because you don't have any of the bad habits or muscle memory us old guys have. Most of all enter the water smiling and come out with a bigger one.

Enjoy the glide,
M2
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

keep your knees fairly wide apart
find the sweet spot to kneel on your board which IMO is further back not forward
lean forward...don't sit on your ankles
start out by not grabbing the rail. get a feel for riding without grabbing the rail.
start turning!
if you focus on the fundamentals then you will naturally progress.
+1 on watching Simon surf 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Watching the boys on legless.TV & Simon on his (excellent) DVD's, highlights to me the ability to 'unweight' yourself at critical moments on the wave being a big part of taking the next step up in your personal surfing performance. I do remember being able to do this, back before the dinosaurs became extinct :oops: , but have trouble ...what with the issues of creeping (or is that creaking) old age, I now, when trying to pull off some of those moves, usually end up with my head between my knees and kissing my a#$e goodbye before going over the falls :lol: but that never stops me from trying.
So as the previous posts have intimated, watch those that can do & watch while they "unweight" themselves in those critical spots .... but remember do it like your going to pull it off, have confidence ..whether you pull it off or not ...do it like it's going to come off and have your next move planned.
Anyway I'm going to kiss my a#$e a few more times before one of 'em even looks like coming off, but I've got grey hair & a fat gut in my favour there.
Good luck with it all SANewbie, it's all fun, the prctise and everything.

Cheers Wolruss
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey SA! Lot's of good advice. Not aware of any formal printed stuff but if you search around here some you'll find a bunch of tips. For example, I remember a thread on boosting from a long time ago. It was a real interesting one.

Here's a thought....since you've got cutbacks down start doing them closer to the hook or under the lip as you come off the bottom. Not a full one but an abbreviated one with lots of power. Instead of projecting out onto the shoulder for a cutback look for coming up more square off the bottom.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

:lol: Andy, keep that up & maybe :lol:
but seriously that's what my movies are about. They can be used as a learning tool for all levels.
If you are interested you can contact me via www.simonfarrer.com.au
Scott

Post by Scott »

I now, when trying to pull off some of those moves, usually end up with my head between my knees and kissing my a#$e goodbye before going over the falls Laughing but that never stops me from trying.
Great sentence--made me laugh, Wolruss! Like you, I never stop trying...I still wipe out a lot as I continue to push my turns further, or try to hit the lip in new ways, new angles.
MJ
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MJ »

Have you checked out this video?

http://www.vimeo.com/21903923
jdc

Post by jdc »

[quote="wolruss"]

the ability to 'unweight' yourself at critical moments

Wolruss[/quotes]

looking foward to see if headwax comments on this idea as it was a theory of his back in the quad v thrusta debate thread period.
the thing with knee surfing is finding the weight shift to make up for not having a back foot to plant and piviot on.

Also smokin mikes thoughts about being back father than foward but leaning foward seem to match what bruce was saying about some of his riders knee positions. And the SF foward lean is Bradmanesq (for cricket lovers) in terms of setting up the rest

I think its harder to make kneeboarding look good compared to foot surfing so if you get to the stage that standups comment postively on a wave
or a move, you know your on to something.
i like surfing
barry

link

Post by barry »

Great link Mj
theres some good info in there for everyone
Good job to all those involved in creating it!
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Hey not a silly question ...

lots of great advice to be found here

looking forward to watching that waka video on instructions

edited for clarity :idea:
Last edited by Headwax. on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bud

Post by Bud »

GREAT JOB GUYS! 8)

That video should be prominently displayed on the front page of this website.

Maybe even a "BEGINNERS / NEWBE" page should be made available,

as well as good photos of maneuvers displayed.
SA newbie

Post by SA newbie »

Thanks Guys, The video from Wollogong was the first I managed to find and have taken all that to heart. Had a great session on Sunday, went balls to the waal for everything, had some spectacular wipe outs but also had some really good rides. Left a lip turn so late had the back of my board out the water staring down a 5ft wave face!! Shat myself!
Thanks for all the input! By the way MManners, I dont have the muscle memory anymore, I am 42 years old and have had 3 Hip operations so far!
Bob

Post by Bob »

SA newbie,

Double pump bottom and top turns.

Off the bottom, turn hard for projection and then turn again for vert. moves up wave face.

Top turn then finish the turn with a little body extension to throw a little fin or to do a tail slide.

Example: Simon cutback/slashback with body extension once he is in the lip.

Both of these can be done to progress your surfing.