General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

BigAirMass
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Choosing a Shaper

Post by BigAirMass »

Hello Everyone,

I always thought going with custom equipment was a bit over-the-top for a beginner--but in a niche sport like this, there may not be many other options. So, I'm looking for advice as I go "shaper shopping." Bud at Blast was kind enough to contact me already, so he is certainly in consideration. Finding a shaper in the US seems to make most sense.

I guess the big problem is that I'm not sure what I like yet. My little 4'10" Romo was made for someone 50lbs lighter then me. It's been fun, but I'm dropping in pretty late. I've found myself pearling alot or riding the soup this summer.

Given the following info, I'm happy for any advice I can get:
1. I'm small--5'4", 150lbs (could stand to drop 10 or 15 of those :))
2. Been a prone bodyboarder all these years, so I like using fins and having a relatively compact board.
3. I'm primarily riding knee to head/shoulder high beach breaks in New England. They are finicky waves. Even the slower ones tend to pitch suddenly and get steep.
4. I'm considering epoxy, but not exclusively. I just like tough equipment.
5.I've had some bad experiences getting stabbed in the thighs by old swallowtail surfboards, so I'm a bit wary of fish--but could be convinced.

Any thoughts on where to turn?
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I would go with Blast. He will shape you a great board after asking you some questions, and I'm pretty sure you won't pearl. :lol: :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by bdwqld »

I quite like Dean Cleary's boards, I have just ordered my second epoxy Voltar from him, creased the first one in a 10ft reef break :cry:. Really happy with what he created for me, so much so that I ordered exactly the same board (without creases). :D
His website has a lot of broken links but it is worth a look to see what he has got http://www.deanclearysurfboards.com/kneeboards.html
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Scott

Post by Scott »

Yeah, really consider going with a Blast. He glasses his boards very strong, they're easy to surf, and have tons of natural speed to get you up and planing fast on shorter, beachbreak waves.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
hart

US shapers

Post by hart »

:)

I think Barry bakers shaper Schoelscoff (sp) does epoxy..

maybe u should PM him..

If u want yr equipment bulletproof..epoxy is usually the best option :D

hart
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
frog

Post by frog »

Freeline is another option. John Mel has been around forever and can help you also. I have one of his boards a Fish which is fun to ride. I also have a Blast board which I won in the raffle a few years ago. I truly enjoy that boards too. I guess you should talk all thee shaper to see what each said and then try to chose one.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
jdc

Post by jdc »

no such thing as an analbirth either as far as i know :?: (i did google the term)

In general most punters dont understand the term bulletproof
literally....unless your a cop or a soldier

but we do on occassions have to put up with term analbirth when investigating things kneeboard related.

sorry, it maybe im just getting too old for such "humor"
i like surfing
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

my apologies for you having wasting your valuable on line time googling my tag :o....... on second thoughts... nah, you probably learnt something :shock:
something you probably didn't want to know, granted :oops:
i've never bothered [ been game ] btw i don't see where there could be any humor associated with my tag, pain perhaps but not humor......
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
womble

Post by womble »

Bulletproof vests are fine ... just as long as the shooter isn't aiming at your head.

I've seen waterproof surfboards ... waterlogged surfboards ... badly ridden and bullet ridden surfboards ... bulletproof surfboards may exist in Tolkiens word ... but not here in reality.

And as for AB's ... well they do exit ... they live in swamps ... rarely work ... shape their own surfboards ... and are most probably not cops or soldiers ... but do understand what bulletpoofs are sods ... sorry ... whats not bulletproof.

Old Crazy on the other hand ... shoots narrow minded tall poppies on high horses balanced on soap boxes for breakfast ... but he is bulletproof on account of being shallow and hollow and shot full of holes.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.
Joel5150Photo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

kneeboard shapers

Post by Joel5150Photo »

javascript:emoticon(':D')yoooooo! joel5150 here in Oceanside, Romanosky has been shaping my boards for 15++ years,(im on a 6-0 quad swallow tail ) glassed on fins romo' knee pad Viper fins,Bodyglove shortie3xxx (6-0 230lbs)he has a custom rocker 6-2 c blank, hes a hell of a shaper!!!! Frog house in Newport stocks his boards or see how web page see link off ksusa site.im proud to call ron my friend...joel5150photo
BigAirMass

Post by BigAirMass »

Thanks everybody! I have a few options now and made some good contacts. Just waiting for folks to get back to me at this point. Very exciting stuff!

BTW- A local shaper sent me this pic of a bamboo/epoxy kneeboard he made for a friend. I don't know anything about the shape, but it sure is purdy!

album_showpage.php?pic_id=28292
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I have lots of friends that ride BUD'S Boards, and they like them.......
I myself ride Dean Cleary boards, and have been for years. Just recently I had Tom Balastar shape me a board with a different concept, and I love it.....
jdc

Post by jdc »

womble wrote:Bulletproof vests are fine ... just as long as the shooter isn't aiming at your head.

I've seen waterproof surfboards ... waterlogged surfboards ... badly ridden and bullet ridden surfboards ... bulletproof surfboards may exist in Tolkiens word ... but not here in reality.

And as for AB's ... well they do exit ... they live in swamps ... rarely work ... shape their own surfboards ... and are most probably not cops or soldiers ... but do understand what bulletpoofs are sods ... sorry ... whats not bulletproof.

Old Crazy on the other hand ... shoots narrow minded tall poppies on high horses balanced on soap boxes for breakfast ... but he is bulletproof on account of being shallow and hollow and shot full of holes.

Gosh womble, did I touch a nerve :wink:
i like surfing
womble

Post by womble »

jdc wrote:
womble wrote:Bulletproof vests are fine ... just as long as the shooter isn't aiming at your head.

Gosh womble, did I touch a nerve :wink:

Hardly ... the nervous system has taken down its shingle and shut up shop years ago ... it saw what happened to the liver and any grey matter that managed to survived the first onslaught of substance abuse and a total lack of self control ... life is good after you lose all feeling in the upper parts of the body and learn to type in dribble.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand.
While imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Albert Einstein ... Yeah Bert.