American Surfing Association

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

stonefish
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

American Surfing Association

Post by stonefish »

I came across my old membership card with the American Surfing Association . It was in 1977 that myself and Greg Hyde with the help of the then president Dr. Gary Filosa set up the first Paipo division. This was to assure that in all the amateur contests that we competed in we would retain eligibility with the AAU to conform with the United States Olympic Committee.

There was a push at the time and a feeling that surfing would be included in the Olympic Games. The Newport Harbor High surf team was always in the top for the years i went there. Im sure some of the guys in the KSUSA were on their high school teams as well. Kneeboarding usually had one heat with the competing teams providing three riders each. We had many good bouts and it brought back good memories of all the surf i had when i should have been in class! We did have to keep our grades up to stay on the team!

anyway ...i dont think Kneeboarding has gotten as close ever to being a sanctioned sport with Olympic potential since.
tahiti_nui

Post by tahiti_nui »

That was the thinking of the NSSA as well. Chuck and John used the Olympic bylaws as the model for the organization hoping for a shot at inclusion, but surfing was to splintered and it never gained a foothold with the Olympic committee.

Fast forward to '88 and i hooked up with Chuck to organize the USASA for snowboarding, again using the cookie-cutter Olympic bylaws, however this time a few years in we landed the guy who introduced sailboarding to the IOC in the early '80's. He championed our cause and for snowboarding all the stars aligned in 1998 when we got the call to be an exhibition sport in Nagano Japan.

Our best opportunity would be to support/encourage a new youth movement, as it build's momentum, fold it back into the NSSA. As for the "big leagues" we need to keep upping the quality of the US Titles to get us more traction in the surf media. And when the Worlds come around again, get all the countries evolved.

In the new world order we live in today, our niche sport is more connected via the web than ever, but if we don't support the industry (shapers/business's) that cater to us, they'll be forced to go elsewhere. Then what do we do?

Some kneelo's would rather keep it 'underground' and i can appreciate that, but as us old guys age and stop going out, who's gonna carry on, who do we pass along our knowledge/history to?

That's why when you have a gathering and other surfer's see all those 'legless' guys out, be willing to reach out and encourage the inquisitive to give it a try. Or bring any surfer kids in the neighborhood to come down with you to the meet-up to see our community and try it out.
stonefish

pro or no pro

Post by stonefish »

yea all good info! i still prefer the unknown underground approach to kneeriding. i love to surf alone. I dont think contest riders are much different than other surfers as its always a contest in the line up. I free surf and compete with the same attitude....its all about keeping in shape and having fun! Since surfing with joe taylor its been real fun as we both push each other to try new things .his enthusiasm is great and we will surf in just about any conditions. The club has been cool because kneeriders as a rule are lone sea wolves and it was the norm for a while to have only one other in the line up if any at all. Now our club gatherings are drawing lots of attention in newport. I do see younger surfers who have never really seen a good kneeboarder getting curious about it. Its the tubes man!
Joe Taylor
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Joe Taylor »

Randy, no kiddin! Pushing each other has been so much fun... goin out on really BIG days to the tiny, mushy, blown out beyond crap, and everything in between; we always seem to find a corner somewhere. I also enjoy the laughs and the fun surfing with you. I miss paddling with you in the early am's or those glassy evenings in front of your house...Since you are now the man on the top of a mountain with snow, (a temporary arrangement, I hope :lol: ), instead of the man in the WOT.