hows that fish going
scott
[wanderer]
scott
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

FWIW to anyone who's interested, I rode slabs from I think 71 to about 77. As far as I knew at the time I was almost the only kneelo at my local (Bondi) and definitely the only one on a slab. Got a bit lonely sometimes, but ... :( . Anyway, I heard about PC and CC via Tracks and made the journey north ... never looked back. The board I had immediately prior to going to Mona Vale to see CC was an absolute dog by comparison. That slab was unreal from the very first wave. It did seem to go in just about any size surf, (certainly went fine in anything I could paddle out in at the time), and went sooo well in the tube. 8)

In the first one I had a fixed fin, (full flex, as it was called then), and after I ripped that fin out on the rocks at National Park, had 14" finboxes in that and all subsequent boards. Untold versatility that way. Boards were super loose and slidey but had heaps of drive off the bottom when you put 'em on rail. My last one had an 8" flex tail. :shock:

In '97 I came across Russell Crozier, who offered to make me a new slab. Said he had templates etc. Unfortunately, the new board, when it came, was a dog. Russell's a nice guy, but doesn't have the magic hands. If I'd known about Mr Hart at the time, I wouldn't have made that particular excursion. Wasn't a complete waste though as my younger son learned to surf on that board. In one of those happy accidents that blow you away from time to time, his first real long green wave was a perfect little peeler at...National Park. 8)

Just before last Xmas I was working down in Sydney. While there I was lucky enough to be given a vintage slab by a shipwright working in the same yard. :D (See, there is a God.) He'd had it under the house for years, apparently, so long he'd forgotten how it got there. It's pretty dinged up, but I reckon it'll restore OK when I get around to it.

Dimensions: (as best as I can determine running a tape over it)
5' 7" x 221/4"
Tail: sort of a rounded square diamond, with a resin edge
13 1/2" corner to corner )
17 1/2" (at 12" up)
Nose: full round 19 1/2" (at 12" back)
Finbox: 13" set 9" from tail. It's as rough as guts, light blue.
Plug: LHS (looks like a retrofit)
Fin: full flex 8" deep, 10 1/2" rake
Rocker: not much...

The board has a blue ellipse spray on bottom centre, red spray in from rails fwd, green or blue in from rails aft, deck is clear with blue copperplate style Crozier decal longitudinal either side of the stringer fwd.

I'd say pretty early '70s owing to the very straight planshape, decal and the finbox. :?:

Mr Hart, I can't put a photo of it here due to a lack of equipment, but does this board sound familiar at all?