Short article on Kneeboarding from Surfermag

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Excellent letter Jack, forget my name was included. I bet you made him think. We need more people like you promoting, being positive. We have a hell of alot to be positive about I think in my short time here.
We have some good conversing here too, I personally welcome all sides.

LER, I love you dude! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ocean7847 »

surfhorn wrote:You have to understand reporters. They have to fill column space daily and, after a few years, become- basically- brain dead.

The reporters took the path of least resistence; they went to whomever was on the speed dial/Rolodex.
DING DING DING

its Surfer, not The Surfer's Journal or The Surfer's Path.
skansand

Post by skansand »

great idea kneelingbro!!!...ya its a long-shot getting it in a mag but you know the old greenough quote..."nothing ventured, nothing gained"....and its about time we started gaining..
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

You have to understand reporters. They have to fill column space daily and, after a few years, become- basically- brain dead.

The reporters took the path of least resistence; they went to whomever was on the speed dial/Rolodex.
_
_

Sorry Surfhorn, but that doesn't fly anymore.
Romo and Bill know where to find us... imagine how STOKED that reporter would have been to talk Don, Jack, Bud, and Simon?! He'd have had more info than he knew what to do with. The reporter could have told the world that the "Retro-Renassaince" is alive and well in the Kneelo community .... seeing as how just riding a kneeboard could be considered retro, and there are thousands of guys riding them all over the world again.
Instead, he got the same old crap, and we got Throw Under the Bus by two of our own. :roll:

I swear, how can anyone order a board from a guy who just called you a "Goofy looking homo-cripple has-been kook" in print?! Unless of course,
that is an apt description of you.. and your shaper... and in that case, I apologize.
Otherwise...Grow some balls, Boys.
EQ
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

eqKneelo wrote:
You have to understand reporters. They have to fill column space daily and, after a few years, become- basically- brain dead.

_
_

Sorry Surfhorn, but that doesn't fly anymore.
Romo and Bill know where to find us... imagine how STOKED that reporter would have been to talk Don, Jack, Bud, and Simon?! He'd have had more info than he knew what to do with. The reporter could have told the world that the "Retro-Renassaince" is alive and well in the Kneelo community .... seeing as how just riding a kneeboard could be considered retro, and there are thousands of guys riding them all over the world again.
Instead, he got the same old crap,
EQ, I think you're just proving the point - if he had KNOWN to talk to people who are still active and progressive within the community he would have - but he doesn't. He looked up kneeboarding in the "Encyclopedia of Surfing" and saw those names which happened to be local and easy to contact, so he did. If those guys got with it, they could say, 'hey I'm all about kneeboarding and was involved deeply back in the day, but you should talk to Hart or McCray - those guys are still pushing the kneeboarding limits!" That's a perfect world of course, but its not like its the mags fault that those they spoke with left an impression that came across poorly in print. Maybe I'm just agreeing with you that the guys they spoke with did a poor job of representing the sport in the opportunity presented to them.

Not trying to put myself in the mix here, just saying that I agree with the suggestion that the reporter isn't as much to blame. I got to talk to the surfermag writers/editors and they themselves have expressed frustration at the lack of depth in their mag, but they know their own audience/subscription holders have demands which must be met. An in depth article on Kneeboarding doesn't stoke out the grom-squad at NB and HB.

I've healed up a bit which has allowed me to return to the world of standup surfing, but I'll be goddamned if I sell my kneeboards. I plan on riding kneeboards just as much as standup. See you at the world champs (if not sooner)
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

eqKneelo wrote:Paul-
I was not in ANYWAY talking to you personally... I don't even know you.
We met at your house once when I was picking up a flashpoint once.

:wink:
eqKneelo wrote:
However, if you ride his boards, you support his archaic philosophies by default. Remember... support those who support us.

His boards work for me right now, if I had unlimited $ I would have a bunch of Flashpoints and Blasts too :D

martinmurph wrote: Where are you going with this Paul? You seem to want to make a proposition, but I can't read between the lines, you'll have to spill the beans for us dummies.

Honestly I am not sure what you are getting at. I have said everything I can on the subject. I am not going (or trying) to change minds, I personally dont care what people ride. :? I have had Blasts and Flashpoints in my quiver and enjoyed both and my Romo's.
jadams3 wrote:Somebody's got to write it, do the interviews, compile the pics, and submit it.......

It should be one of our "spokesmen"......somebody with credibility and creativety......any "volunteers" ?????

just an idea...... 8)
I would be happy to do it for this website, now national mags that might be pushing it. 8)

After seeing WillP's post please do not interpert this or any of my other posts as attempts to start crap. That is truly and honestly not the intention. I just like hearing the opinions of others. Everyone made great points and I am glad there are people out there like EQ and others that truly care about the sport.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

PaulN wrote:
jadams3 wrote:Somebody's got to write it, do the interviews, compile the pics, and submit it.......

It should be one of our "spokesmen"......somebody with credibility and creativety......any "volunteers" ?????

just an idea...... 8)
I would be happy to do it for this website, now national mags that might be pushing it. 8)
Ha, I'm not sure my act has "credibility" but I have creativity, I know that.

As far as national mags, no, not likely, but what about regional publications where kneeling has a following?...

And as far as rushing, tricks, tuberiding, style, after contributing to this thread and reading off of the other excellent material on here, you know what I think?

If anyone wants to promote a sport, they have to show young people, VERY IMPORTANTLY, that its FUN FUN FUN!

That's what got me hooked on trying to find a way to get a kneeboard. I'm glad Mark obliged, because I'm really hooked now (yes, the fin boxes will be fixed). The main thing that interferes with the "fun factor" being the over riding factor in choice of water sport is the dreaded fashion factor.

Kneeboarding is not fashionable in America at the moment. But you know what? I think if it was shown that it was fun, skill was attainable quickly (which was a major factor for me), and that its one of those "a short time to learn--a lifetime to master" things, it would sell quickly.

This is all opinion, but I think groms need to know about kneeling's fun, and short learning curve, before there will be a "true" renessaince.

But I have to say, in all honesty, it took me a lot of guts to go down to the water the first time and start kneeling. Why? As far as equipment, as a kneelo, you're a loner out there. If you have a good attitude and don't burn people, you'll be just as popular on a kneeboard as a short board (where I've kneeled so far), but it takes a lot of faith to take that "first step"--especially considering most everyone else in the lineup had a shorter, narrower and thinner board, no swimfins, and no deck-pad!

I think it helped that I'm a rather large guy so people don't generally talk sh!t on me anyhow, but still.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

jadams3
I'd love to see a feature article in Surfer/Surfing/Surfer's Journal showcasing the talents of our top riders and the designs of our best shapers...with a nod to the past and an eye on the future......there's enough great pics in the galleries from many contibutors to make a great article sparkle and induce stoke......
ocean7847
I'm just agreeing with you that the guys they spoke with did a poor job of representing the sport in the opportunity presented to them.

couldnt agree with you more

======================================

PaulN
I will defend his designs from things like Kava's quote above that he makes a good "retro board". I have heard things like this a lot on this site and have to wonder how many of the people who openly denigrate Romo’s work have either talked to him or have ridden any of his designs like the quad fish, twin fish, or rounded pin with 5 finboxes so you can ride it as a quad, tri, or five fin? I would bet not many.
wrong again!! Growing up in the 70's and learning to kneelo i and my kneeboarder friends didnt know of greenough or of any of the the others that people talk about on this site or in the lineup. But who we did know and idolize was Ron Romanowsky. the guys boards were (and are?) awesome! he charged the wedge and the wedge for us was unheard of as a grom. We would surf the point and that was it. I was so stoked when i got my 1st haydu kneeboard! then came the 00's and i'm grown up and Ron R is putting more emphasis on photo's than kneelo's which is fine. but What lost my stoke for romo's boards were the lack of progressive shapes (just my opinion) and the bank loan needed to purchase one. but what really sux is that it seems since the late 90's Ron has lost the kneelo stoke! he could have 20 kids and 3 jobs either way he should still support the kneeboarding culture. The guy is an icon and could represent socal kneeboarders in such a positive manner like he did in the 70's and 80's.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

kneelingBROTHA wrote: I think it helped that I'm a rather large guy so people don't generally talk sh!t on me anyhow, but still.
bring it on, bitch!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I think it helped that I'm a rather large guy so people don't generally talk sh!t on me anyhow, but still

there is always someone bigger and meaner :evil:
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

KAVA wrote:
I think it helped that I'm a rather large guy so people don't generally talk sh!t on me anyhow, but still

there is always someone bigger and meaner :evil:
ocean7847 wrote:
bring it on, bitch!!!!! Laughing Laughing
Ha, that's very true guys. All I'm saying is that people don't look at me, and right off the bat decide I'm an easy target. That always helps. But by no means am I the bad-###-mother--######-kung-fu-master-apprentice-of-Chuck-Norris. Its just true that if you are 6'1, you aren't the automatic and immediate whipping boy of the lineup.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
khoningford
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by khoningford »

Just a few observations, for whatever it's worth...

Let me start out by giving some personal history. I have been kneeboarding since 1971 and have had the good fortune to surf all over the world, including Hawaii, Calif., East coast, Mex, Europe and Central America. And while I certainly don't consider myself a "star", I get my share and HAVE A GOOD TIME doing it. (Remember this last part, kids)

First, the theme of the article? was the retro- resurgence in surfing and how kneeboarding had apparantly not enjoyed the same growth in popularity. (Doomed from the beginning if you ask me...the article, that is :lol: ) "Surfer" went to two people who represent different eras in kneeboarding. Romanosky's allegiance to kneeboarding is unquestionable. His opinion is strictly that...his opinion. Mr Sharp knows who butters his bread. His opinion is carefully choreographed. But, once again, his OPINION.

Second, one of the best boards I ever owned was shaped by "Romo". Plain and simple, the board worked. A sentiment shared more than a few others, perhaps? And my favorite board ever was shaped by none other than Dick Brewer. Not a name one would typically associate with kneeboards.RIDE WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU.

And last, if any of you are waiting for the mainstream media to present kneeboarding in an honest, intelligent and deserved manner, LOAD UP ON THE ANTI-OXIDANTS, BROTHER! About 10 years ago, I was included in a piece "The Surfer's Journal" did entitled "Kneeboarding, an endangered species" Well, I've got news for you Mr. magazine editor. WHAT YOU THOUGHT WAS THE TRIGGER UNDER YOUR FINGER, IS ACTUALLY THE GUNSIGHT!!!

Good surfing to you,

Spidah
spidah da kneeridah
john -

Post by john - »

kneelingBROTHA wrote:
heroes in my book.
YOU REALLY GOTTA THINK MORE CAREFULLY ABOUT YOUR USE OF WORDS IF YOU WANT TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY AS A WRITER BY THOSE WHO HAVE SOME UNDERSTANDING OF WRITING AND COMMUNICATION

THERE ARE NO SUCH THINGS AS SPORTING HEROES...THAT IS JUST MEDIA HYPE...A HERO GIVES UP SOMETHING FOR THE GOOD OF ANOTHER OR MANY...QUITE OFTEN LIFE OR LIMB

SO MUCH BLAH BLAH BLAH....I WONT MENTION THE sponge PICTURES...JUST THE WORDS

Bruce

I have seen the video but thought my self quite lucky to score a good vhs copy

but then thought after reading the odd post that maybe its all backward

I think the surfing footage is pretty cool so Im happy to have it as a good Now and Then comparison with Mr Farrer's work of present and future :D

:oops: sorry.a little off topic...where are we all again...pass the corn...