inconvenent truth

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

inconvient truth

Post by frankfqr »

These issues aren't new to most of our generation (aging surfers). Alot of us have been in touch with man's impact on the environment for as long as we've surfed. Even the "hippie" movement had no lasting impact due to credibility, but it was the underlying mantra, ck. Spirit/Nature's Way etc. etc. And now we have Al Gore...a man who held the second most empowered political tital in our western world, on the podium spouting OUR misdeads. I distrust politicians enough to admit I havn't researched his record..but the record of his cohorts has got us to where we are at. With all the problems we have on this planet, I don't find it comforting to know I can look at photos of Pluto taken from our missle technology. And now the politico's think we need to walk on Mar's, they seem to live in a different reality and that to me is the inconvient truth.
fooj
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by fooj »

I hear you. I sincerely doubt that ANY global-political-whatever movement is does not ultimately have its roots in money and power. We peons can make our greatest attempts to understand the angles and subtleties of the multiple theories but when it comes down to it no one really knows. I feel that the responsible approach is to maintain scientific objectivity, keep emotions in check and live within one's means. I've also stopped flushing my toilet when there is only pee in it.
bongbong
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Happy Earth Day.

One can always mistrust the politicians' motives -- it's easy enough to do given the overall track record. But don't discount the message just because you don't like the messanger.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Right on, At least there is one day which most of us think about what were doing to the earth. I don't even have a car anymore. I ride a bike to surf, to work, and to the store. 8) But, I'm pretty lucky I live close to it all.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

I drive a grease mobil.. 98% bio diesel..no war needed.
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Smokin Rock - missed the subtlety of you pun, dont get as much Al Gore coverage here although he toured recently. I do hear he's releasing a bio on his troubled teenage years 'An Incontinent Youth' - :oops:

On topic - Syd thoughtful post, we try to reduce our electricity consumption by way of solar water heating and low wattage fluoros, front loader washing machine etc. I'm not a climate change sceptic but polarised views on either side of the debate are frustrating. Modelling of complex issues is easy to deride and I suspect we wont see a concerted effort until we see sea level rises that validate aspects of the models.
Shelfbreak
frankfqr

truth?

Post by frankfqr »

Sea level rises?? How about the roque waves of cement that inundate the coast on a regular basis? It's ALL controled by the politicos. Zero population growth was once a platform, on an international level. Now they seem to lay the blame at our feet. If they say that carbon emision is the root cause, then why let massive facilities like Ford close down? Mandate and fund conversion!! Make it afforadable with our tax dollars as opposed to moon shots and war machines..Sorry for the rant...I know it's not wise to slam my head against the wall in public........
Kauaikneelo

hot over here

Post by Kauaikneelo »

WOW Al Gore invented the Internet and Global Warming!! All the while Bubba is playing peak a boo with cigars :oops:(Didn't they notice we were attacked seven times by extremist??)
Hillary????PLEASE. :cry: :cry:
Now Gore finds out his big house uses more power in a week than a small town?? So he wants solar panels with batteries that have a five year life and then go to the dump?? Let's give him some more awards.
Stop the madness.

Start with yourselves. (ourselves?) oops (myself!!)
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Revival

fooj: You pee in a toilet? You're lucky you live in the 1st world. We're still waiting for plumbing to come over here to Kauai.
Last edited by Kauaikneelo on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
fooj

Post by fooj »

Toilets are overrated. Though maybe not for long. I'm trying to devise a contraption that uses the ions in the mellowed yellow to power a battery.
bongbong
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

copied from the Waikoloa Whispers

Global Warming

For those of you who have not heard-there is global warming. While the mainstream media has headlines about greenhouse gases causing this warming effect, NASA has been doing a long-term study and has come up with some interesting observations that don't appear in any headlines.
NASA has detailed new observations of solar explosions from a powerful space telescope that recently beamed back x-ray images of the suns outermost layer. What they saw was a bubbling mass of swaying and arching spikes, some more than 5000 miles long. these tangled magnetic fields dump energy back into the corona, causing huge temperature flares.
the Danish Meteorological Institute first reported the correlation in a study going back centuries. Global temperatures closely track solar cycles as measured by sunspot intensity. Historic data reveals that whenever the sun heated up, the earth heated up and vice-verce.
Here's another fact nobodys talking about. Mars is also warming. NASA says ice caps near the planets south pole are melting. a growing number of scientists say solar irradiance is heating both Mars and Earth simultaneously

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rming.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/m ... 31208.html
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast09feb_1.htm
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
willli

Post by willli »

ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

smokin rock wrote:copied from the Waikoloa Whispers

Global Warming

For those of you who have not heard-there is global warming. While the mainstream media has headlines about greenhouse gases causing this warming effect, NASA has been doing a long-term study and has come up with some interesting observations that don't appear in any headlines.
NASA has detailed new observations of solar explosions from a powerful space telescope that recently beamed back x-ray images of the suns outermost layer. What they saw was a bubbling mass of swaying and arching spikes, some more than 5000 miles long. these tangled magnetic fields dump energy back into the corona, causing huge temperature flares.
the Danish Meteorological Institute first reported the correlation in a study going back centuries. Global temperatures closely track solar cycles as measured by sunspot intensity. Historic data reveals that whenever the sun heated up, the earth heated up and vice-verce.
Here's another fact nobodys talking about. Mars is also warming. NASA says ice caps near the planets south pole are melting. a growing number of scientists say solar irradiance is heating both Mars and Earth simultaneously

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... rming.html
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/m ... 31208.html
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast09feb_1.htm
sweet! lets go burn some fossil fuel!
ezak

Post by ezak »

Al Gore is coming to San Diego and will be talking about his movie at the REMAC at UCSD on May 21. Tickets were free but they are all gone now.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/events ... rePJ-L.asp
surf with soul
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

sweet! lets go burn some fossil fuel!

yessiree...i'm all for that. i've got a brand spankin new Suzuki 50HP, 4 stroke, dual over head cam, outboard that needs plenty of go-go juice. too bad i have to drive 50 miles to get fuel without the bullsh&t ethanol additive so i don't gum up my precious motor. now theres a whole new farce thats being shoved down our throats. :roll:
not sure if "stiff as a board' Al Gore is behind this latest outrage but i think i'll blame him anyway. :evil:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

SmokinRock,
Thanks- been looking for refs on the solar activity issue. I have read that we are in a heavy solar activity cycle and that some believe it is responsible for the burst in short-term warming until it peaks in 2011. I don't think the CO2/warming models do a very good job of explaining the dramatic changes we are seeing in the past ten years.
My biggest fear, however, is that the intense media scrutiny will fade quickly if people don't see an imminent threat- the pols with the power to act are not really interested in the predicted shallow curve of rising temperatures and sea level over a century or so.
So, I guess I have mixed feelings about the current Chickin-Lil, Inconvenient (Stretching of the ) Truth Bandwagon we are on; on the one hand viewing with amusement, but hoping it produces some new energy initiatives before the spotlight fades.
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George