inconvenent truth

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

It seems that no one really knows how to separate the cause and effect. We can just measure effect but parsing out cause is a bit more tricky. Isn't it better to stay on the safe side. Our high carbon producing resources are finite resources therefore developing alternative power sources and changing lifestyles would seem to be prudent global planning. If you don't want to change there are always justifications.

Isn't it better to try and do something about a problem and find out later it didn't matter than to not do anything at all and then realize we could have done something. Doesn't everyone want to live their life with as few regrets as possible?

I think kneebumps is right, it seems mostly positive things can come from addressing this global issue. Curbing carbon emmissions does not have much of a downside. Global warming on the otherhand does have a pretty big downside for a short term gain. Its analogous to construction of large hydroelectric facilities. Short economic upside huge long-term environmental downside. The probelm is that humans have very little ability to think in a long-term perspective. Most people don't really care anyways.
red

Post by red »

humans have very little ability to think in a long-term perspective.
It's not politically expedient until not appearing to do something will cost votes
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

stemple wrote: The probelm is that humans have very little ability to think in a long-term perspective. Most people don't really care anyways.
I see this all the time ... Operating the saw without a guard on it is perfectly ok until someone chops his hand off. People are happy to get away with doing it that way because it saves them 0.01 second. Too bad you can't show them the bloody blade on the global warming/CO2 emissions issue (not yet anyway).

I'm taking my baby steps where I can ... the motorcycle gets 45 mpg and is much more fun than my 17 mpg truck anyway! I'd like to do away with fossil fuels all together (a limited resource), but until then I'll ride my motorbike!
8)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

i'm all for alternative energy sources. such a untapped resource.
the reason for posting the alternative view on global warming is i really don't like someone pissing down my leg and then telling me it's raining.
the left is politicizing global warming and using it as a scare tactic much the same way the right uses the terror "boogie man" as a scare tactic to further it's political agenda. what either side is really after requires too much insight and ability to be devious than the average person possesses
and thats a good thing. better to be deeply skeptical of what either of them have to say.
now i hear from this lame response to current and on-going debunking of the global warming myth......or should i say, it's causes.
"well, even though everything we've tried to spoon feed you on the heels of the loathing of the current administration is proving to be false, it's still a good idea to do everything we've asked you to do"
perhaps it is but would'nt you like a little credibility to go along with your good idea or does the end always justify the means?
many people don't care and with all the truth stretching and nonsense that gets attached to the basic premise can you blame them?
our high tech media fueled world has neglected to take common sense along for the ride and we wonder why we're on the wrong track.
it's still a good idea to cut back on fuel consumption
hanging your clothes out to dry is a hassle but worthwhile
solar water should be a must if you live in the sun belt
my personal peeve is all the individual wrappers of everything. if you can carry it out of the store without a bag...do it.
do it because common sense tells you it's the right thing to do. 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by ocean7847 »

smokin rock wrote: the reason for posting the alternative view on global warming is i really don't like someone pissing down my leg and then telling me it's raining.
:D :D :D :D :D
perhaps it is but would'nt you like a little credibility to go along with your good idea or does the end always justify the means?

exactly, just like the war on drugs.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beeline Well said well read For the olny thing warming the planet is that yellow ball of flaming gas. Our wind sheld view is near sighted. Invest in sun block. :twisted:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
fooj

Post by fooj »

I'm peeling onions.
bongbong
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

dammit fooj!
once again you've reduced this incredibly complex and vitally important thread into a exercise in vegetablephobia. something i'm just not into!
i was getting all serious and using big words even i did'nt understand and you've ruined it all.
thanks buddy :cry:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
fooj

Post by fooj »

Pretty sensitive for a guy with an opened-mouth tiki for his avatar. It's OK pal, veggies can be fun, fun, fun.
bongbong
ezak

Post by ezak »

Last year I saw a news clip on CNN about how oil companies couldnt get to drilling in a lot of Alaska because the nice solid ice/frozen ground they usually travel over and set up on was mud. Talk about irony.

Satellite imagery shows that much of the ice sheets/glaciers around Antarctica are melting.

Natural and human caused the global CLIMATES are changing.
There's probably no solution, just actions we take to make our world livable, and hopefully not just for us.
surf with soul
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've worked in this field since 1971 all this is not new. While I can't get into this at the moment, there is nothing wrong with trying to live lightly on the Earth.

Your gun-carrying liberal,

Surfhorn
kbing since plywood days
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
wino

Post by wino »

Surfhorn is right I wrote college term papers on global warming, desertification, sea level rise. etc... almost 20 years ago. None of this is new.

Scott Mac, from what I've read the polarity flip that may take place sometime in the near future (1-2500 years) will have no effect on the earths day to day condition.

Ride your bike to work a few days a week and/or pick up trash off of the beach as you leave, it doesn't take much effort to do your part.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I need to buy some carbon credits every time I eat spagetti :shock: release :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction