New Sparrow DVD - NSG 05 North Shore Gathering

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

JB

NSG 05 DVD

Post by JB »

Simon - you've done it again, what a great DVD. Really enjoy watching this new one and I think the interviews are a great addition.
Thanks Bruce (Hart) for getting me a copy!
Keep up the good work guys. FLASHPOINT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
Jason
:lol:
Sparrow
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Jason,
Stoked you enjoyed the movie & thanks for your support :)

Steve,
Thanks mate :wink:
Merry Christmas mate & stay strong my friend. Thinking of you.
I will need to speak to you soon also about Indo :wink:

David,
Ive always enjoyed your stoke for the sport & stoked I got the chance to make you a part of the movie.

Jerry,
thanks for supporting the movie. My computer has been down & did not know the problems you were encountering. I'm stoked John could help you out along with John Sieraski & Svein.

Dorje,
thanks for sharing your stoke. Looking forward to your upcoming comments :shock: :D

John Mel, :D
A special thanks to you mate :wink:
It was a pleasure meeting you on the Nth Shore & thank you for pushing the movie through your shop "Freeline"

If anyone is needing any help in getting a copy please contact me on farrer@optusnet.com.au

Thanks for all your support :D

Simon
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JackG »

It was dumping rain yesterday and I'm still nursing a sore shoulder from hairy drop, so instead of heading to the water I sat down to watch some surfing on the tube. Set the Tivo guide to Fuel and see what's there, then I remembered "NSG" was sitting the DVD player, the wife got it for me from Freeline! Totally stoked to get my fill of our own brand of stoke!

Simon, I swear you have rockets under the water in some of those sequences, such speed and power.
john -

Post by john - »

Hi Simon

My comments have sort of evolved into questions. :shock:

Given that the surfing and the interviews are great and it is truly an insightful documentary, (in general), why, given that the average age of kneelos is, at last check, around 42, was there the need to film so many young women (chicks)?

As Oscar Wilde said “men’s desire does not lesson with age it just becomes more inappropriate” Chicks and men in the forties are not a good match on the whole…radical surfing should see us go beyond most mid-life crisis issues. My wife commented on this immediately and I felt uncomfortable having my daughter watching a girls bum out of context for longer than a second!

I also feel I cannot allow my daughter to see men baring their bums…sure people do it but how does it fit into the kneelo expression…young “stand up” surfer mags issue that stuff…just check the end o year tracks mag for the guy flopping out his dick. :roll:

And lastly the drunken song, it starts off innocently but the chap who eyeballs the camera delves deep into what we don’t need to hear.

I do realize it was a “PG” affair! But I feel only “class” should be documented, all else can just drift into ‘you had to be their giggles’

Having the surfers discuss and show their boards could have been a great space filler over the above scenes :D

Yep these are just my opinions but I’ve got all three flicks and I feel a sort of affinity and critical understanding of the product…given it is aimed at a relatively select few and that I’m apart of that small market.

Again, I am watching it as often as possible for interest and as a source of inspiration, but the above scenes, from my perspective, hold it back from being a timeless document to something that needs refinement. As a man in my 41st year, seeking refinement without being puritanical or falsely pious is reasonable…no?! 8)

regards

dorje aka John
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Jack :)
How are the waves you guys have been getting :D :shock:
Ive seen some footage of Santa Barbara recently & the one photo on the KSUSA. Looks like the place pumps :wink:
So happy my movie gives you stoke. Thanks for the kind words about my surfing. Three things I love in surfing 1. Speed 2. Power 3. Control.
Thanks to your wife for the present :lol: 8)
Hope you get back in the water to get some of those gems.

Simon
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Dorje :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Wow :!:
I can't help but laugh at this.
Without sounding disrespectful mate, your issues that you have brought up are yours.
Refinement :?:
What a powerful word. It is a word that means endless to me, individual interpretation.
Opinion :?:
nothing more than someones thoughts.
I'm glad that the movie can provide inspiration to you Dorje. Just deal with the bits you don't like however you choose. :wink:

Simon
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

dorje,
i have'nt seen the dvd yet but having been there and having lived on the north shore i can tell you it is a place of extremes. the waves can be extemely large and extremely dangerous. they can also be exremely perfect. the women can be over the top beautiful and scantily clad. the drink and drug induced parties can be pretty extreme too.
im sure Simon was trying to capture the entire essence of the north shore experience which include parts that are'nt exactly family fare for sure!
not so much a matter of class but a reflection of reality.
use it as a learning tool for your young daughter.
these are all the reasons you should never marry a surfer let alone some kneeboarder.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
john -

Post by john - »

Simon

positive or negative these are are all our opinions...or just thoughts as you say

so why tell me my opinions are just thoughts cos some are not glowing about parts of the flick?

Again, positve opinions are mere thoughts as well...but we do like to hang onto the positive and make it concrete..well our interpretation of positive anyway

your arguments against my opinions are bouncing between the dualistic rather than the reflective

a small negative critique should be welcome amongst so many positives and i have put foward positives..or mere thoughts as well!

well I am off to seek my interpretation of refinement...what was the name of the board under Eric Carson's arm? :idea:
hart

Post by hart »

As Oscar Wilde said “men’s desire does not lesson with age it just becomes more inappropriate”
'Inappropriation' had little to do with Oscar's age per se`

Oscar Wilde of course, was homosexual

I trust that his personal preferences hasn't hampered the collective appreciation of his work

:?

hart
Damien o
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Lowering the average age :)

Post by Damien o »

Good news Dorje, since I picked up my new board from Bruce recently, two new kneeboarders riding my old board, my son who is 11, and my youngest daughter, 14, helping to lower the average age :)

Isn't a part of a democracy, and this forum, the opportunity to present your comments. My observation of one aspect of democracy is to have to listen to comments that so opposite to what you believe, that you want to shout the comments down - but nevertheless respect the right for the person to make such comments.

I support your right to make comments. I share your consideration for your family and I am grateful you presented these comments so that others can understand the people that constitute the niche group of which we are a part.

I gave the NSG05 DVD to my son,11, to watch ..... in comparison to the Xbox or PSP games they play ... don't get me started about that topic :) He was so thrilled to see a whole new world of kneeboarders challenging themselves and asked heaps of questions. Just a different experience to be shared.

cheers Damien
ipanema

Post by ipanema »

:)

I have followed this great site for some time however here is my first reply - here goes..

I picked up the NSG, Now & Then, & Tahiti DVD's from Neil Luke's shop yesterday whilst on a work trip to Phillip Is. I needed some inspiration and a long overdue replacement to my old Water Slaughter vid worn out studying Mike Nov's bottom turns.

Today I had my first & hopefully last blast of chemotherapy following removal of a cancerous testicle 4 weeks ago. I am still feeling pretty sick & sore but watching these made me a feel a lot better and to think seriously about (no - committing too) dusting off a very unused Island 3 fin KB early Feb once I get through this.

The footage and especially characters like Bud & Barry Baker are absolutely inspirational.

Thanks esp Simon if you are out there
Mark Grindlay (ipanema)
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Mark,
Both Bec & I read your post together & I cant say any more than thank you :D
It has made our day :!:
I hope you do dust off your Island kneeboard & get out in the water soon when you are up to it. I hope that you keep us in touch of how that first surf back in the water goes Mark :wink:
Thanks esp Simon if you are out there

Mate, you have made it all worth while with your post. Thank you :!: :!:

Simon
john -

Post by john - »

Barry Baker for Mayor of Cronulla :!: :D

he reminded me of the cool Calafornians (spelling :? ) one would meet in a himalayan chai hut

and has a Joe Cocker dance style to big wave bashing :lol:
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Well, everyones a critic :evil: or so they say, so here is my 2 cents worth. After just watching NSG O5 for the first time, I'll say this: I liked it. If I wanted to show someone kneeboard surfing at its finest, I'd still show them "The Sparrow Has Landed". But if I wanted to show someone WHY I kneeboard I would choose NSG O5. Simply put, we are a likable lot. Definitely committed to our art, while not taking ourselves too terribly seriously. It really made me wish I could get to know many of the people featured. [ And hopefully some day I will ] I was not expecting an definitive statement of the state of kneeboarding today nor a non-stop surf-a-thon with waves and surfing performances of epic proportions. What I got was a video that makes me just a little more aware of how fortunate I am to be a member of this small tribe of individualists called kneelos.
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.