General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Svein
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Unknown Shelly reef

Post by Svein »

Sparrow,

Perhaps you'd know the answer to something I've been wondering about.
Back in the mid to late 60's, I remember watching a huge reefbreak wave, offshore and to the south of Cowries. It would only break on cyclone driven swells. I never did see anyone ride it back then, but I wonder if it's now beeing surfed?

FYI, I was part of a small group of kneelos back then that had Cowries to ourselves...that is until Nat brought in the shorter boards that could handle the steep takeoffs.

Svein (Pig)
WayneK
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by WayneK »

Simon, Bec, George, Bud, and all involved in the production of " NSG 05" GREAT JOB! The film truly captured the the essence of the northshore experience and the ALOHA all whom attended felt. The quality of the film, interviews, transitions, atristic camera angles and music made this a top quality viewing experience. GOOD ON YA, Simon.

:D 8)
ok-tony

When

Post by ok-tony »

When Can I buy a DVD at this site :?:
I can't wait :twisted:
Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Simon... When the vid's getting to the UK??? feels like Xmas is soooo far away!!
Just had a PM from WayneK saying my V-Land wipe-out made it into the final cut....TWICE!!! :shock: :shock: LOL
I knew I was good for something!!! :roll: :wink: :oops:

Looking forward to seeing the spectacle.
Peter
On your knees, if you please
wolruss

big reef break just south of cowries

Post by wolruss »

Svein,
you might be talking about "church grounds" - only breaks when its huge.
It's situated right out the back of pool point (the next point break south of cowries) possibly a 1 k to 1 1/2 k's a long paddle or I have seen dive boats negotiate their way out and drop guys out the back. I watched from shore thru binnoculars once -its a weird wave. Its only broken a few times since I've been in town. there is another break that extends from out the front of pool point right through to south beach, they call this "shatters" - again only breaks when it gets big: I'll amend this "shatters breaks when it gets big and "church grounds" when it gets bigger to biggest.

I remember the name Terry Veitch as one of the names the old locals used to talk about as one of the handful of kneelos that would charge cowries - these guys were the old locals back in '76. Do you remeber any of the Carrol boys from Shellharbour? (not the two famous ones from newport Tom and Nick). Alan Hayes, China ? a couple of other guys whos names escape at the moment.

Shallows still works O.K but also gets very crowded, probably will change within the next few years as they construct a marina in from the shallows or the south of south beach into the wetlands in behind the golf course , which has already gone to dunmore. The farm is getting built out as WAKA has mentioned in some of his posts and is also incredibly crowded.

Thanks for your return post Svein, I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd put this reply in the forum as you asked this question and I hope you don't mind my dropping in on your inquiry Simon.

Simon, so many positive comments because you and the crew ( Bec, George and the others) have really done a fine job - very professional looking and also a lot of sentiments on what it means to be a kboarder and a lot of bloody good footage of some great kboarders ripping it.
Don't mind me i like to double dip even on the feedback of such a good D.V.D.

Cheers Wolruss
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hi Peter,
They have been sent today. I got the (PAL) DVD's 5 days ago then left for phillip Island & got back today.
Hope you enjoy the movie mate. It was a cool wipeout mate :wink: :lol:
Tony or Crox will help you getting a copy.

ok-Tony
Seeing that the KSUSA titles have just finished Don Harris is your man but he may be winding down so it wont be long. Give him a PM or e-mail. :wink:
Thanks for your support :wink:

Sparrow

ps. Hey Wolruss :)
You pretty much answered it better than me.
I was thinking shatters or Red sands :idea:
Either way they are both amazing waves :D
Stoked for your double dip mate.
Svein.
What an amazing time to surf places like cowries back in the sixties :o
You can still get it uncrowded. I surf it heaps with just me or a couple of others. Love the place :D
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

cheers Simon... looking forward to the show.
On your knees, if you please
Anthony B

Post by Anthony B »

To Simon and Bec and all of you involved in the making of the flick well done :)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Svein - Have you had a chance to ride the new 6'0" Freeline you won during the raffle at the KSUSA Titles?
kbing since plywood days
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I would just like to add to a message written by surhorn on the previous page about supporting the musicians that support our sport.
If by chance that the music that you have heard & liked on any of my movies please go & have a look on the web sites I have listed on the credits or whilst in music stores have a look & listen because more than likely there will be other great songs & CD's
All the musicians have jumped on board in promoting kneeboarding & I can't thank them enough as their talent has made my movies just that much better.
If by chance you are after a specific band & can't find anything on them please contact me & I can help you on the right road.

Cheers

Simon :)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Sparrow, et al,

Great focus on your film--the community of kneeboarding using the NS Gathering of a microcosm of kneelo communities all over the world. Silly interviews with some (like me!), more serious with others, and excellent surfing. Guys taking BIG thick lefts. Loved the special section dedicated to Barry Baker. He's a great guy I've been getting to know better the last year or two, and a heck of a kneelo; I'm glad his strong style will now get much larger exposure through your flick.

Loved the use of the tribal fire dance along with the wipeout sequence: ya play with fire and you're gonna get burned! Just awesome.

Thanks for the stoke! You have added to the lives of all of us.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Headwax,

Thanks for the laughs mate, that was good!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Glad you enjoyed the movie but please no doll!! :oops: :oops:

Seriously guys, your comments make this all worth the effort!! :wink:

Sparrow & Bec!!!
barry

reviews

Post by barry »

Great Job on this project Simon
The film and editing crew really pulled together, a Top Notch DVD.
I watched it at home and feel that it Truly captured the experience that
we all were fortunate to share.
The sequence and comments on Bud are a treat for the eyes and ears 8)

P.S. Wax.... I didn't know that you would be telling everyone that I
Make you feel warm and fuzzy :wink: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, Great effort by all involved :!:
Barry
DarcyM

Well Done Simon!

Post by DarcyM »

So much work went into this project and it really shows. Such high production values and seamless blend of music, better than you'd expect in a typical surf vid. This DVD is so much better than any typical surf vid just for those reasons alone. Add the crazy cast of characters and the pure aloha, stoke, genuine and sincere vibe that exudes from the film, and you've got a film that is a true classic. Would you expect anything less from a bunch of kneelos?

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing it with us all, Simon & Bec & George and everyone involved. The piece on Bud was particularly inspiring and well deserved recognition for his efforts. And the surfing by Berry Barry, Simon, Dave, Karl, Marc & Mark, Bob, Bill, Baden, Mike & Mike, David, Red, Bud, everyone just shredding heavy waves with style.

I give it five stars! Get one for yourself if you haven't already.
:D :D :D :D :D
dm

"Push the button, Max!"