New Sparrow DVD - NSG 05 North Shore Gathering

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Damien o
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Damien o »

Hi Mark

Good luck BTW, my brother-in-law came through the same thing as you ..(now known as "mono-ball") ... had 2 kids ... each day is for living ... our thoughts are with you ... keep us in the loop, will be looking for you in Feb, cheers D
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

more from Oscar Wilde

"worse than being talked about is not being talked about"

all comments about kneelo stuff are an insight Jerry!

and given the wisdom regarding human nature of the "Wilde" all posts about ns05 keep it in mind as something interesting

but i must say "equality" (none rich none poor) seems like a terribly serious buisness...according to Bono and Sir Bob in particular and of course then there is equality based on sex which is a big part of the financial problem/injustice in the world...which is in my thinking in not having a focus on women in a particular way...which I hope is taken as a serious and intelligent thought and investigation into things about kneelo films and people and human nature

California :idea: :arrow: spelling is improving :wink:
DarcyM

Do you wish they all could be California ...

Post by DarcyM »

"Calafornia" is the way our new Austrian Governator says it dorje - so you're spelling is at least phonetically correct ... !

And you are more enlightened than the average male. I think the average male kneelo is probably more enlightened than the average male as well, given that he knows a little something about being considered the bottom of the pecking order, but you can't take the male out of the equation no matter what. Is that saying much? Maybe, it's all a matter of degrees. Some are more, some less ... I've known many who think only through their sex, and many others who are threatened by those of the opposite sex when they don't conform to the patterns of behaviour that is expected of them. Whatever. As they say, that's their problem not mine. And there are many more men now who are capable of treating women as equals than ever before in history, and as women assert and acheive their equality there will be many more in the future. I'm hopeful, generally, for men and mankind to reach that ideal. That some cultures won't even come close in my lifetime, I'm sadly certain of that as well.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the T&A shots no matter where they appear. Understandably, they don't do much for me, and don't add much to the depth of the film or the story. The worst thing I can say about it, is that it only reminds me that they're not showing those girls shredding some wave, which is what the film is about -- shredding, not posing. I am offended when the males take their response to titillating and salacious pictures to the extreme -- there is nothing endearing about a pack of slathering wolves. Keep your playboy posturing to the locker room and the company of like minded individuals if you must. It doesn't belong in public.

For the most part, I don't think it was overdone in Simon's film. Would I rather it not be there at all? Yeah, probably. I know that the North Shore is what it is, and there is a parade of flesh and certain women are trolling no doubt about it. Perhaps until women stop behaving in that fashion (intentionally), then we can't really expect the male response to change either. Or, perhaps when the male response changes the trolling will stop (one might ask which came first, the apple or the snake?) Is it a reflection of life on the NS? Yes -- BUT there is also homelessness, crack addicts, traffic jams, japanese tour buses belching hoardes of snapshot taking tourists, beach dogs, film production crews, surf contests, plate lunches, and countless other elements that depict life on the north shore. What makes a better descriptive element? Which would you rather see (given that you can't see it all) in a kneelo film?

The feminine form has/is/always will be celebrated, photographed, worshipped, and depicted in art. Your girls will have to learn how to deal with it at some point in their lives, and hopefully you can guide them to deal with it appropriately. But you cannot shelter them from it. I think Simon's, George's, and many other's response to what they saw was more or less what I would expect from a gathering of (mostly) men in a tropical paradise like the NS. For the most part, they were actually quite civilized (at least thankfully in my presence). Hopefully the other ladies on the trip felt the same. I suppose that's what counts the most.

I also think that some of those Hawaiian & Brazilian female bodyboarders really charge large and deserve (and get) respect for doing so, from men and women alike. So there is hope for them (us) after all.

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
john -

Post by john - »

thanks Darcy

funnily enough you got to be pretty bloody silly before you get a little smarter

or Angels gain wisdom from being sinners

my wife has the full take on me and she wont mention blessings or enlightenment :wink:

my daughters will see what they will see but in some situations im too world weary to have to explain things that I was not expecting…goes for Juliana too!…

beach babes are everywhere...even in the supermarket at Barwon heads after a day at 13th beach...which mangos am i looking at :roll: :lol:

good to know your thoughts

i realize the quality of the people im dealing with here and in the movie (or as best one can)...if i didnt think there was quality i wouldn’t bother offering my thoughts

ksusa is a fertile field no?!

with love

dorje

i am now at rest from the box which may please :lol:
wolruss

NSG 2005 VID.

Post by wolruss »

Darcy,
I could only hope to be half as eloquent.............what she said.
Again Simon, brilliant movie - loved it.

Cheers
hart

nsg 05

Post by hart »

well, the jury of another kind is out..

my copies of NSG 05 have been spotted by the guys at the factory and have been grasped..in both hands

unlike Now And Then (which was hijacked and played on a laptop in front of 10 stand-up {professionals} with beers in their hands on a Friday afternoon) NSG 05 was a little more 'revered'..

meaning, one former pro-surfer (and now bulls*#t shaper) and a leading OZ longboard shaper (35+years) have chosen to take the dvd HOME to watch :?:

So that they can devote their attention to the detail

:D

Now we all know that the devil is always in the detail..but their comments will be worth hearing ..

Just how well has NSG 05 portrayed the way we surf to others who love surfing also?

Full report(s) to follow..

hart

PS

1 Even with Friday arvo beers, Now And Then was met with many raised eyebrows and quite a few F#8@s..all good as they say in the classics

2 I think we should be more concerned with our children watching and being influenced by Brittany Spears or Posh Spice on TV, rather than seeing a bikini shot of a female surfer in NSG 05..please lets keep things in perspective :)

Aloha to all
john -

Re: nsg 05

Post by john - »

hart wrote:

2 I think we should be more concerned with our children watching and being influenced by Brittany Spears or Posh Spice on TV, rather than seeing a bikini shot of a female surfer in NSG 05..please lets keep things in perspective :)
Hi Bruce

Interested to hear the feed back as will be many

would have let point 2 slide if not for the "please lets keep things in perspective"

Perspective is subject to society and culture on a macrocosmic and microcosmic level

My perspective is derived from being an early years school teacher and father of two daughters who works in a predominately female work place with children and of course their parents.

So I feel my perspective is based on some strong empirical evidence of what a community with a broad demographic values are - and I can compare this with the beach culture in which I live.

Spears ans Spice are products of popular culture - no popularity no interest.

The extended shot of a ladies bum is a product of popular culture that is first developed by the likes of Spears and Spice but given the demograpic concerned is mostly in their forties...not evolved on from

Who were we whatching back in the late 70's and 80's?...who were our Spears and Spice? What did our parents say to us?

I watched Maydayz recently...those two great days at teaheopeau (spelling)...all surfing and interviews...no need of candy...cos we are all grown up and the action and surfers perspective is what counted

What developed Headwaxes and least one other viewers (that Ive talked to) perspective, is perhaps they are objective thinkers who dwell outside popular commercial thinking...but they are kneelos and thats what one would expect

I was watching the DVD again last night and continued to be stoked by the surfing and the interviews

good to keep the dvd in the public domain but :wink:

ps..some women like to be known for there nice arse but when it sags they want to be known for other things as well...if men with saging areses keep ther eyes on younger versions who will appreciate the women who have moved beyond caring about their weight

I am at home today with a sick kid so I have had time to remember and consider some undergraduate tutorial room debates and be shaped by their perspective
K-man

??????????????

Post by K-man »

:roll: .....zzzzzzzz..snore.

Excellent vid,very professional,and the surfing speaks for itself.Especially liked the ''full moon' sequence :lol: ,and also liked the Mooooooo board.....classic stuff.
john -

Post by john - »

well k-man if your mind is bored by such things then i guess we know your mind :wink:
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

all this over a butt shot?? :lol Must be a great one!!
ross

Post by ross »

i reckon the movie was cool.

and as far as shots of ladies bums go.a closer viewing of the movie illustrates Simons perhaps unknowing attempt to spice it up for the ladies in the audience.

remember the shot of the water footage guy licking the camera :lol: ??

my wife saw that and didn't say a word.i think she was to razzed up to speak. :lol:

and what about the large shirtless polynesian gent waving the firesticks all about the place.
i'm comfortable enough in my own blokey skin to appreciate a good lookin man when i see one :shock: :lol:.i'm starting to wonder if there should have been more ladies bums in it :? just to keep it even you know?

lighten up people,its a surfing movie,not the Brady bunch goes to Hawaii :roll:
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
john -

Post by john - »

its more than an arse shot when one extrapolates body image and womens problems with gender equality over history and so forth and so on

all I did intially was question why they were there...Headwax actually got in before me but no one noticed

Simon was not pleased with less 100% positive response and I suggested opinion whether positive or negative remains the same...

hart threw out a bone...my year of the fire dog (Tibetan) nature started knawing again...the dvds getting air time again...Oscar Wildes theory is working

sure there is more arse on tv...but absolutely none on Maydayz....

if its nothing to you why comment

cos..its fun to put ya 2 cents in :wink: :lol:

a picture says a 1000 words
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

they say most guys think about sex every three minutes. fully 33% of our waking lives is spent thinking about the ladies. i would reckon Simon's film show less than 2% of it's total content perving on da ladies. thats a whopping 31% increase in overt morality vs. the everyday norm!
i think he has shown great strength and fortitude in his resistance to temptation and upmost commitment to this fine sport.
Dorje,
i find your attitude so very "Victorian" :P :lol:
my 0.02 cents 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
K-man

Post by K-man »

Like my old grandad use to say:listen son,when your pissing in the wind?Piss downwind,otherwise it gets all over your shoes.

Much to do about nothing...yawn........But, if boredom compels you to scribble this ''stuff',so be it.It's an open forum,which will be respected.

Gota copy of now and then from kenM,says it may be his favorite.