james devlin
Local (More than 25 post)

KAUAI

Post by james devlin »

it been another so so season in kauai again,

kauai needs a certain type of weather pattern to realy shine,
and this has not happen since 83'

oh a few magic hours or minutes here or there but not the old days of sometimes weeks, hell months of none stop death barrels and looooong rides.

i hide out west for the most part (in fact i have not surf the north shore in years let alone just go for the scene, was there year and a half ago to drop someone off for the Na Pali Hike) like the weekdays are empty and weekends may have 20 to 30 guys out at the best spots and if you can stand riding the bad waves you can surf by yourself still.

housing is nuts, studio apartment for $1200,
dump houses for $2000,
we almost broke $4.oo on gas last yr.but thank god went down to $2 plus

been having a "Blast" on Bud's fish and haven't stood once this season and may have finaly got my "groove" from my horriable summer on the mainland with no surf,

ok, "get wet and stay wet"
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

i agree. life has been a hard row to hoe here in the islands of late.
maybe we could start a beer fund here on good ole KSUSA and send all the proceeds to us poor island guys who have to slug in out in less than perfect conditions on a day to day basis.
im sure the outpouring of sympathy would be tremendous. :D
thanks in advance for all your concern. 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
fooj

Post by fooj »

At least when visitors come to the North Shore they're there, within walking distance to the spots, having blissful vacation experience. This is very different from what resident taxpayers of these islands deal with for surf. It costs me about $9.50 to drive out and back in my little Nissan 4 banger pickup. Desperate for surf this summer rumor has it that ROCK did (or considered doing) a $15.00 drive (in his 4 banger pickup) to surf 2 foot south swell. This is true commitment, but it really adds up. I second ROCK's idea for an island boys beer fund. Anybody interested in helping can PM me and I'll give you my paypal account id. All contributions will be distributed judiciously. Just maybe then we all wouldn't need those afternoon valet jobs and could focus more on being visible in the water for our great sport. Try not to feel too bad for us guys, it gets surfable sometimes.
bongbong
james devlin

Post by james devlin »

REALY!!
JUST SEND WOMEN AND MONEY!!!

WE DO SPEND ALOT OF TIME tooling around looking for the perfect wave, even though i don't do north, going to polihale is a 20 +mile drive one way but then again, gas in europe is way other $10,
so it's all good
KenM

Post by KenM »

You guys are breaking my heart! :roll:
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

On of the best surfers to come out of Vero Beach Florida, Robert 'PECK" Jones moved to Kuai about 5 years ago. He's never been back and has only left the island to go on a boat trip to Indo.
Must be nice!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hey, there is no whining in kneeboarding :lol: I have to drive three hours for waves, hmm, that's about $30. in gas, put on a 6/4 mm suit and surf small crapola, then spend $35. a night for a hotel room unless I want to spend the night in my car at 20 degrees F.
I have had one good day in three months. Then I have to spend an additional $10. to skateboard in a park.
All I have is hope :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

My friend Kauai musician/surfer Ken Emerson is a featured soloist on the new Donald Fagan (Steely Dan) album. Ken also donated soundtrack for the NSG 05 dvd.

Ken's on the way over for the NAMM show in LA and maybe a surf up here.
kbing since plywood days
james devlin

Post by james devlin »

oh boy gas just went over $3 again!!!
and even worse,
IT'S DEAD FLAT OUT OF THE NORTH
I'LL HAVE TO GET A LIFE

KEN IS THE MAN!!!
fooj

Post by fooj »

This is an idea in the back of my mind, perhaps when (and they will) gas prices go ballistic?

http://www.electriccyclery.com/catalog/ ... p-103.html
bongbong
K-man

Post by K-man »

No surf here...Just working My ass of to buy a ticket back there.hoping for the month of may,if it goes well the whole month.
You boys keep your eyes open for an 80's white bronco,with the back part cut off,like a mini pickup.Got the words ''stinson''painted on both doors.Hawaii plates.
The house is in kekaha.
Did the polihale road trip :shock: After three days of hard rain,you know what that was :lol: No waves to boot,low period swell.Beautiful place,especially the lava cliffs....magical
On the way back out passed a new bentley going in..... :lol: Blew me away!
Probably stick close to that area,don't like it too crowded.Nice people there too.
First stop?Ishiharas',the poke :D then the farmers market for avos,and papayas...
Got an old friend lives up at waimea,been there for 20-25yrs maybe more didn't know he was there[robbie smith]

cheers!
matt holzman da kauai boy

surf

Post by matt holzman da kauai boy »

I know i live in Kekaha and the surf sucks right now. :cry: to rainy to surf.
I hope a swell comes so the waves are good. Light winds.

Aloha Matt :mrgreen:
Get Wet Stay Wet!!
oscalivada
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Kauai in January 2009

Post by oscalivada »

I will be in Kauai with my family this January with my family. We opted to stay in Kekaha in order to avoid crowds and for proximity of Poipu for the kids. It has been 8 years since my last visit. We surfed great Kini Kini, Polihale and Waicocos with very few people out.

Does anyone have the skinny on access to the beach at the base on the westside? Last I heard it was completely off-limits. Also , are there any waves in the immediate Kekaha area or should we plan on driving anytime we want to have a surf? I would love to hook up with other kneelos whilee there. I will be travelling with a buddy who is a footboarder, hopefully not an issue.

O
K-man

Post by K-man »

Got that right ,base is off limits.You need a security clearance,valid kauai/hawaii drivers license,and a local address.Even then the military keeps changing the the rules...probably to slow down the surf traffic.

Outside of poke a haole.... :lol: Not much happening down that side this time of yr.There've been a few odd ball late south swells,might just find some small pakalas....rare,but possible...I'm there for the month of may/june.Hopefully ticket prices will drop.Have a good trip!

cheers
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

check this website.
https://www.cnic.navy.mil/barkingsands/index.htm
there is a contact number for base access. not sure of the latest process but i heard awhile ago they could not only allow Kauai residents access.....they needed to let everyone in.
caveats.......US citizen, you need ID, everything current on your vehicle including insurance. you might be too late because the screening process might take awhile but geev um cuz 8)
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head