shooting kneelos...with a camera

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

shooting kneelos...with a camera

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Hey all. I was wondering who on here is part of the south bay kneeling contingent. I'm interested in doing some photos. I'm thinking of some on-location portraiture and some surf action photos. I know will P is and there are a few others but I forgot their screennames--I apologize about that. If you could drop your screenname and real name on here and contact me via email @

marc_bockman@emulsionphoto.com

that would be great. I can fill you in on the details there.

Just put:

"south bay kneelo photos"

as the subject line and skip any questions for now. I have a blanket generated email response I want to send out first, and then I *WILL* answer questions that follow.

This is a theoretical idea, I don't know if I can make it happen yet but I will try and I'm hoping I can generate enough interest (and have enough money) to make it worth my--and everyone else's--time.

Thanks!

Sorry for the vaugueness!

Sincerely,

Marcus Bockman/emulsionphoto.com

PS--This is going to be an extremely strenuous project for me financially if anyone is interested, but my goal is to be a journalism major with an EMPHASIS ON PHOTOJOURNALISM, and I need to start buidling a portfolio, and this would be an awesome way to do so.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
Beeline2.0

Re: shooting kneelos...with a camera

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Actually, so that everyone doesn't have to email me before consideration, here's the whole idea, it extends beyond just doing telephoto beach shots:

"Hi all that are interested. I have produced a basic email to cover the premises of my ideas for this south bay project, and will fill in the details as neccessary.

I have some remaining rolls of film left. So, I am thinking about doing shoots with south bay kneelos. My idea is to get action shots of kneelos shot from the beach, along with "lifestyle" photos of the kneelos. Keep in mind that one session might involve me carrying around a camera and recording much of what is happening--not to annoy but simply to document, as my intended major is going to be journalism with an EMPHASIS ON PHOTOJOURNALISM. Why not start out in the confort zone and work out from there? I've always gotten along with surfers so this should be a cool project.

As far as the cost: its free for me to shoot you guys. If you want to buy a print of something you see that you like (I can send low-res jpeg's to people to evaluate) we can negotiate a price. Price negotiation would purely be based on who's printing it and the quality of the printing (ie, a gallery-quality print is going to cost a bit lot more than a standard print! Obviously, you can easily enjoy and frame both, but if you want a extremely detailed and very realistic print--albiet a pricy print--you'd want to go the gallery route. Otherwise I can go a quality but standard printing route).

The other thing is that I would require a release signed so that I could sell photos to galleries if I produce "keepers" that would really speak to an audience. The release isn't selling your soul, I haven't put one together yet but the basic idea should hypothetically be that I can sell the image with profit going to myself. I would have to examine the release, send a copy to everyone involved and see what they think before proceeding.

That is the concept. Is anyone interested? I can't start immediately. I don't know when it would go down BUT I would like to make it happen.

It might be this winter or this spring--hopefully it wouldn't be summertime before it gets rolling (if I can make it all happen being a student and all), but who knows? The basic issue is that I need to get healthy (sinus surgery just happened), and get some wheels, and budget my time so that I don't fall behind in school.

Thanks all. This, if it happens, will be financially strenuous on myself and will take a lot of time and commitment to do, but if I can pull it together I think it would be an awesome time capsule for kneeboarding in the 00's. 06, to be exact.

Sincerely,

Marcus Bockman/http://www.emulsionphoto.com"

If anyone likes the idea, let me know. Just keep in mind that "for profit" doesn't mean I'll make profit (profit = total cost of putting the picture out there subtracted from whatever I could get for it), it just means that I would, IF A GALLERY/DISPLAY OPPORTUNITY would take it, I would keep the money from shooting it. Small Jpegs would hopefully be emailed on a timely basis of good shots from seshes. The line about the prints is just in case someone REALLY likes a pic of themselves and wants a print--no obligation there at all. Remember, small Jpegs would try to be sent on a timely basis, so the print issue is only if you want a physical version of it. And the release issue (which is very key) is so that the pictures can be put out in the photo/art/journalism/picture world (if the opportunity arises) and so that I can easily use them for my portfolio. And in all honesty, this would be a costly undertaking, don't be fooled by the neccessity of a release or the idea of selling prints to people or galleries (likelihood of gallery sales are LOW. That is put in there because my school has art shows that sometimes allow sales (I have a piece going into an upcoming show, but I have no idea when my next opportunity for a peice being shown is...) and there's also a very slim chance that I could get it in a local camera shop gallery). No purchase required to take part should be my basic statement.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

PS--Just an idea to be considered, no obligation to even want to participate. And I'm not trying to make money off you all--I would try to do modeling headshots if that were my idea. The idea simply came from building a portfolio. I HOPE NO ONE TAKES OFFENSE TO THIS. Its not meant to be a money grubbing thing. Just a way to build a portfolio. That's about it. Again, email me if you have any questions. Peace.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Brotha I think it would be cool if someone took my picture. I would even buy it if it was a good one.
Also, you only need a model release if the person's likeness is going to be used in an advertisement. You don't need a release for editorial work, IE books (book covers can get dicey), mags, newspapers, art galleries...
You don't need permission in a public place. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Dave Lindsey
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Dave Lindsey »

Sounds like an excellent way to promote awareness about kneeboarding. Not just as a sport, but as an art.
"Plugs"
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Mike Fernandez wrote:Brotha I think it would be cool if someone took my picture. I would even buy it if it was a good one.
Also, you only need a model release if the person's likeness is going to be used in an advertisement. You don't need a release for editorial work, IE books (book covers can get dicey), mags, newspapers, art galleries...
You don't need permission in a public place. :wink:
Thanks Mike for the insight on releases. That sure would simplify things, that's for sure! AND THANK YOU FOR THE EMAIL! I really appreciate it, and after thinking up of some key questions I'll get back at you. I'm very greatful for your offer of insightful guidance. I'll be hitting you back up for sure.

And David Lindsay, that was the idea. Subsets of surfing are not often paid attention to, even when they are so interesting to watch! "Huh? A guy on a tiny surfboard wearing swimfins? What's that all about? Whatever. There's a guy over there doing chop hops in billabong board shorts. I'll pay attention to him instead."

My idea sounds like a good venue to me.

I'll see what other people think about this. And much thanks to Jeff for his message about Trestles...I'll get back to you about that when I can (things are still up in the air after my surgery, arrggggggh!).

--marc
Dave Lindsey

Post by Dave Lindsey »

There's a guy over there doing chop hops LOL, I call them "WHIPPER SNAPPERS" Usually preceded by "those young......
"Plugs"
skansand

video

Post by skansand »

has anyone ever used an Epic Water housing ....theres always adds in surfing magazines for 260$$.......i have a friend who will sell me his for $100......so hows the quality...does it fog or what????
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hi Skans, never heard of an Epic housing, but make sure your putting an expensive camera in a quality housing. In my experience, fogging in a housing hasn't been a problem, what is a problem is trying to keep your lens housing from forming water droplets on the outside when the housing is out of the water for surfing shots. Other surf photographers have secret chemical formulas they keep to themselves to prevent it. I have a massive Ikelite housing for my Nikon N90, and Ikelite told me to try Rain-ex. I shoot some windsurfing in shallow water, it's too heavy for tredding in deep water, so I have that water droplet problem. Haven't tried the Rain-ex yet. Let us know if you do. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

yeah i have used rain-x in the past and it works pretty nicely.
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)