Out of Africa

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

southpeakbrad
Legend (Contribution King!)

Out of Africa

Post by southpeakbrad »

Just returned from a multiweek trip to South Africa providing training and mentoring for SA healthcare providers in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Here's some updated stats on the epidemic in Sub Saharan Africa:
% of world's population: 10%
% of world's HIV/AIDS cases: 60%
Estimated new cases in 2005: 3.2 million
Estimated adult/child deaths in 2005: 2.4 million

For SA:
Population: ~47 million
HIV/AIDS cases: ~6-7 million
Orphans: over 1 million

I'm a Clinical Pharmacist and have worked with HIV/AIDS since late 80's. Our clinic at UCSD has partnered with Univ of Washington with funding from PEPFAR (President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief) through the Dept of Defense and CDC in this effort. Our Clinic is sending various providers (MD, Pharm.D, RN) to assist those on the front lines.

This specific effort is focused on the Eastern Cape home of the Wild Coast which is notorious for epic right handed points and dangerous sealife. What I saw took me back 15 years-the need is so great. There are some dedicated workers doing the best they can, often with limited resources. We were appreciated and felt we had valuable input everywhere we went.

Our second week we stayed in Port Edward at the southernmost edge of Kwazulu-Natal province and drove in to the small, rural EC towns each day . Ahh, offically sub-tropical but Tropical to me. It was lush, green, humid, warm, and rainy at times.

Special thanks to Marc Crawford who set me up with his friend (and now mine) Andrew Lewis-a kneelo who stays in Southbroom 15 min from where I stayed. We met up for a surf which was fun even though the surf was poor. Water about 74 :D Also, thanks to Peter Deacon and Red. All three responded the day after my request for info on the region with great tips, background and info. The place goes off in the southern hemi fall/winter with offshore winds and warm lined-up rights from what I hear. Andrew is a great surfer. I saw him get 3 fins out of the water on a nice hit on his first wave. I really felt I was surfing with Jack :D

Everyone I met was warm and friendly. In the future it would be nice to return and follow up at the hospitals we visited and build on the effort that has begun......maybe in July next time?? 8)
crox

Post by crox »

You deserve some really good surf after such a worthwhile trip....here is a reminder of Andrew Lewis surfing.....getting those fins out...in Cornwall - he hadn't surfed for months & he went out & did this!! - album_showpage.php?pic_id=498
DarcyM

Brad's our hero

Post by DarcyM »

Kudos to you Brad and to the fine doctors, nurses and clinicians at UCSD who are taking this important battle to the front lines.

The nations of Southern Africa have been cruelly ravaged by this terrible disease, and the people it hits the worst are the least able to fight it. Sad to say, but if the US had spent half as much as we've spent on our oil war on trying to battle HIV abroad, there might be less suffering than there is now. So much is needed in the way of education and medicines, yet the poor are sadly neglected and the epidemic rages on.

Glad you had time for a surf -- and welcome back!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
matt cunningham
Local (More than 25 post)

Brad's trip

Post by matt cunningham »

Brad,

This is the best post I've read on KSUSA. Social justice is the key to living life in a powerful way. Your deep spirituality shows in the effort to help others in Africa. Sometimes we get a little too caught up in surfing and kneeriding and surfing which can get a little selfish. Nice to be reminded of what is important.

Matt C.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Thanx for your dedication, Brad. One has to feed the soul as well as the body.

-Dan
kbing since plywood days
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hey Brad
I surfed with Andrew Lewis in 99 at NZ, Jack and the boys should remember him.

Absolute ripper

Massive Kudos to you Brad
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Shelfbreak
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Shelfbreak »

Well done Brad

It's heartwarming to see your commitment, I'm glad you had a chance to get a wave, one needs a short reprieve from the bigger issues to recharge the batteries.

Like Matt C said it's easy for us folk in countries with good governance (relatively good :) ) to take for granted secure land title, law and order and effective health and sanitation programs.

Our family sponsors two African children but we and others like us rely on folk like yourself and trained locals to deliver the needed support.
Shelfbreak
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I sure remember Andrew. Either he or Cheyne Simpson beat me in every heat. Both rip! Then again, most everyone there ripped. But both were good blokes out of the water as well.

Good onya, SouthPeak! Looking forward to surfing with you again soon!
barry

Brad

Post by barry »

:D Great Job Brad
Thanks for Caring and Thanks for Sharing :!:
I am Blessed to be able to call you a friend and the world
is a Better Place because of you and others that are committed
to making a difference 8)
Thanks For All Your Efforts Mate :!: PEACE
Barry
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Brad.... excellent work and glad you enjoyed the trip..... place has a bit of magnatism to it and i'm sure you'll find a reason to get back there to either continue the work, or just surf!!!

Thought I'd tell you afterwards..... about 3 days before you left for SA a diver was bitten at Coffee Bay!!!! ;-)

Peter
On your knees, if you please
Jack Beresford

Brad

Post by Jack Beresford »

Brad - can't think of a better ambassador to send down there. Yes, Andrew is a ripper. Thanks for the post. See you in the water.

Jack
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Brad, this world is a better place because of people like you :D
The Dali Lama says "if you want others to be happy, practice compassion; if you want to be happy practice compassion."
tom
walt davidson

Post by walt davidson »

:)
Last edited by walt davidson on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

To all,
Thanks for the nice words! Not needed, but I know what you mean and how you feel-Thanks..
Peter, while down there a teenager got bit at Nahoon Reef in East London. It made the front page. Fortunately it was minor cuts on his leg and he'll be charging again soon.
I'll post a few pics soon 8)
Oh yeah, stoked to come home to a new stick as well 8) 8)
-BC