a spoon-fish project!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

a spoon-fish project!

Post by ocean7847 »

i haven't got any pictures taken yet as the project has just begun, but here is my mini project.

i'm taking my old zippifish (www.zippifish.com - south bay shaper), which i have been using for standup and kneelo, and repairing/reworking it. because the glass job was light and i'm so heavy, the whole deck was delaminated. we cut off the deck glass from basically the V of the swallow tail to just underneath the shapers logo, and from mid rail to mid rail. even though the board was sitting for over 2 months, the foam was very wet - so i had to leave it to dry, and i will be doing most of the work this upcoming weekend (i hope!).

instead of trying to build up the foam and restore the original deck, i'm going to make a concave/scoop - similar to what you'd find in a spoon, but - of course - this board is a fish.

has anyone done any similar experiment? i'm not hoping for the same flex as a spoon at all - just not feasible - but i'm hoping to make something that could be interesting to ride kneelo and standing. the board is my favorite twin fin i've ever surfed, its not GREAT for kneeboarding, but i've gotten some good rides on it and can't complain.

anyway, pics to come of course...
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

thanks for the input beeline. i'm not planning on putting a deckpad on it, the wells are going to serve that purpose (resting points, push off points for knees) i hope. thanks for the tip about it filling with water when i paddle, i didn't even CONSIDER that! in your experience, is it better to have the kneewells deeper towards the feet or towards the knees (for kneelo.

thanks for any suggestions, i don't think i'm being "revolutionary" but since i had to take the whole deck off anyway, the board is a beater and i have new zippi coming eventually - i figured why not do something different.
skansand

G-Deck

Post by skansand »

i will be experimenting with concave on the 6'2 C's i will be getting shortly.....the trick is to shape the overall board alot thicker than what you want in the end...then build up a "wakeboard" like shape onto the deck (where youll be riding + paddling) ,,sand the rails,tail,nose around this elevated area to the thickness youl want and concave the inside of the "wakeboard" shape....if anything youll gain foam/float...ill look for a photo to post...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

O,
I messed with something a little like what you're doing, if it helps.

http://flexspoon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54

The wells have been fun so far.
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

thanks for posting that Man O War! very nice!

i'm going to try something very similar to what you have there. i think my wells will be less drastic, given i have less foam to work with (you said that thing was 4" thick at the stringer?!), and given that i am going to try and use it as a hybrid.

i want to be able to take this board out to a select spot i know, take off, cut back as it flattens out, then start driving down the line for speed, drop to me knees for the barrel section, then pop up when i come out and do a nice roundhouse cutback.

i guess this thread is worthless without pictures - i'll try and get mine this weekend!