Paddle vs. Kick (fins)

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Paddle vs. Kick (fins)

Post by MIK911 »

I'm new to this game, and was wondering what the concensus is. I've found that i can either kick or paddle, but can't do both efficiently at the same time. My position on the board allows me to paddle (more forward on the board), but then my legs are too far forward to exert a decent kick.
So i was wondering what most kneelo's do? and why?

As far as wave catching ability (kicking better to get in early?), it seems that catching a wave late, that kicking isn't necessary, and a few paddle strokes is all that's needed.

So what do you guys do?
thanks
boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by boards_and_fins »

I think it comes from what your surfing backaround is. I come from surfing shortboards so I am more of a paddle for the wave and flutter kick in kind of guy. Now I know a guy who has never stood up on a board and he is all kicking, sometimes uses one arm to paddle even, but 99% of his power comes from the fins. Then there are the kneelos who dont wear fins. I guess its all about what works for you. All I know is that with pretty short fins I can catch pretty much anything coming my way. :lol:
your mom goes to college
WillP

Post by WillP »

I think you should paddle in whichever fashion feels comfortable to you.
Last edited by WillP on Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

Initially I tend to lazily kick to get to the outside heh heh! then 75% paddle and 25% kick to catch the wave. when there is a big Outside set coming in and im in the boneyards? i tend to put 100% into both :shock: lol whatever it takes to not get beat down on! :roll: lol Ilike fins/flippers for balance 8)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
curlykneelo

Post by curlykneelo »

I use flippers but gota say that if I were to start all over again I would try to learn KBing without them . Last year in Hawaii one broke and with my shoe size I couldn't find new ones . This year I took a spare to Bali and had weight problems on the plane , so I had to take 3 flippers on board as hand luggage .
At places like Lenox , where you negotiate bolders getting in & out their cumbersome . And like I said before , if you have my shoe size you'll also have problems wearing flippers and booties .
john -

Post by john - »

lucky not many women visit this site cos the oft quoted saying (amongst women) that men cant multi task :!: is being proven

get some rhythem man!....its like swimming...kicking and stroke

please Darcy...keep this to your self :!:

but on the other hand id understand if you wanted to giggle at the "single operation @ a time" sex's exspense, with some sisters over an ale.

:wink:

ps: fitness helps too :wink:
Damien o

multi-tasking

Post by Damien o »

I'm with you ... paddle like the b@ #???s to get on to the wave, who cares what you look like and whether it is 75/25 .. just do it , don't think about it, what ever feels best to you
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've found that it depends on length of board. In the days when I rode 4'8" - 5'8" (very thin/no floatation), I would solely kick into waves.

Today, riding 6'0" boards and longer, I've found that the length is too much to just kick (that is being totally in the water, pushing board in front of myself) and I have to be on the board and paddle.

With the extra length and floatation I have a tendancy to stick myself into the most critical part of the pitching wave, sink the tail and try to do a one or two stroke take off. I think it's more because I'm lazy than trying to be hard core. lol

And I still feel naked without my swim fins.
kbing since plywood days
JackG

Post by JackG »

I think one reason kneeriding has worked better for me than standup is that I have never paddled well. For getting on a set wave earlier than the shortboarders inside, nothing beats a Flashpoint and 4x4 accelleration for short bursts. But when I'm doing a long paddle back out I tend to switch back and forth between the two, with the lowest effort being completely in the water, board in front, slow kick back out. When I stand up I don't have the option to rest my arms by moving to fins. Makes a big difference for me.

After a year of kneeriding, though, my paddling has vastly improved, as evidenced by a recent morning in HB paddling south with Beeline. I don't think just fins would keep up with that current.
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Gotta do what feels best to you. Personally I find even surface short leg splashy kicks add a fair bit to speed (when on longer board) but if I had to choose only one it would be kicking for sure.

Try hanging pretty far off the back so legs get fully in water, kick board style, hands on rails, and at moment when you just start to surge forward a bit from wave power, do a big dolphin (double footed) kick and same time pull board under you with arms...sort of walrus humpy thing. Get in and up early that way.
"If everything is under control, you're going too slow!" --Mario Andretti
Ler

Post by Ler »

I remember at 56 street a fellow kneeman, said when I get better I will fin paddle and not arm paddle. I hope I never get that good.

Ler
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

I use a similar method to Kava, cruz it with fins, stroke with arms, 4x4 when the hammer is comming or in a bad take off, "monkey grip" duck dive.

PS. Dorje: Maybe the ladies are reading how many kber's have EXTRA LARGE FEET and dont care about the multi tasking. Size does matter :shock: :lol: :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

MIK - since you're new to this you're probably learning a whole lot of stuff every time you go out in the water. Paddling is part of what you're learning, and finding the most comfortable position for paddling will come to you in time. Be patient, and keep trying!

A lot depends on the board - it's length and rocker as well. I have one board that does well both kicking and paddling, and another that isn't happy unless I'm arm paddling more than kicking. Keep experiementing with your balance and position on the board. Some boards may have a planing surface far up the board which puts less of your leg in the water -- that's not as good for kicking. And it may change slightly from a smooth ocean surface to a rough one.

There are advantages to having fins(flippers) on, and disadvantages as well. I tend to prefer my flippers for lazy kicks out to the peak, and "stealth mode" cruising around the line-up. They're a pain in the butt when you're getting in and out of the water, particularly in surging shore break. But you can't beat "four wheel drive" hustling when you're racing out to meet a distant set, or giving all you've got trying to get into a fast breaking wave. Being able to both kick and paddle at the same time will give you great bursts of speed when you really need it.

(And men can be trained to multi-task ... I've seen them do it, drinking beer and flipping channels on the TV, f'r instance. :lol: )
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

I did the "sort of Walrus humpy" a lot during my first sessions on a kneeboard. However, I found that for waves that are pitching faster, it doesn't work as well for a smooth takeoff. I found for those waves, its better to kick a little bit and paddle like heck, further up on the board. Then again, I am surfing a 6' board--or will be once I get back out there.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

After a year of kneeriding, though, my paddling has vastly improved, as evidenced by a recent morning in HB paddling south with Beeline. I don't think just fins would keep up with that current.
nor would just paddling

tee hee hee hee!! :lol: the story of my life!
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)