SINGLE FIN KNEEBOARDS

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

SINGLE FIN KNEEBOARDS

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Could anyone post tips and information about riding single-fin kneeboards, and some pictures of some single fin kneelos? My tri is now a single (busted fin box), and was wondering if anyone could post some pics of single fin kneeboards, and offer any advice about riding them.

thanks!
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
albert

Post by albert »

dont...

fix your board...
skansand

fgh

Post by skansand »

you really should repair that board back to a tri fin....youll have more fun and accell in the sport....c'mon n give me some competition...im thinking of entering the juniors in santa cruz............
...........im not saying that single fins dont work...they just dont work AS GOOD..........i know..i started off on a single fin but progressed to better desighns......
..if your bent on it id try a fins-forward placement like peter crawfords(cause that dude ripped)..and a big flex-fin.....like the joel tudor karma flex-fin....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

OK is any of the info sinking in? fix your board. if you are low on cash and in the OC area? i had the same thing wrong with my board. I took it to "the froghouse" in newport beach and they fixed it right up for $35 (but most any shop will fix it). as for the broken fin check e-bay also while you are at froghouse getting your board fixed (or whatever shop you go to?) check the fin rack i am sure they have some single replacements. even try craigs list too.
Now if you are dead set on riding as a single fin here is what you do, go get your board fixed!! :twisted: when you get your board back take the remaining fins off and replace the mid-line fin with a larger fin maybe 5.25"+ and now you have a retro 70's style single fin. seems to be a waste to me, but its your board. party on !
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Fro '70s era retro single fin, run a 12" flex.
kbing since plywood days
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DARRYL/2112
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Single fin kneeboards

Post by DARRYL/2112 »

since 1977 i've ridden single fin stingers shaped by George Downing,last month i called Ben Aipa and he said he can Shape a 5'6 stinger for me.looking forward to that.i tried trifins and quads,but could'nt seem to move the it like a single.you guys make it look so easy.
i'm usually out at Chuns and Ala Moana Courts.don't venture out much these days.
D
kneelingBROTHA

Re: fgh

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

skansand wrote:you really should repair that board back to a tri fin....youll have more fun and accell in the sport....c'mon n give me some competition...im thinking of entering the juniors in santa cruz............
...........im not saying that single fins dont work...they just dont work AS GOOD..........i know..i started off on a single fin but progressed to better desighns......
..if your bent on it id try a fins-forward placement like peter crawfords(cause that dude ripped)..and a big flex-fin.....like the joel tudor karma flex-fin....
Hey man, for a chance to compete against a fellow young kneelo...it might just be worth it! I'll check out fin box repair estimates locally. I'm still curious about the whole single fin thing but its probably better to keep my options open.

How old is the oldest you can be for the junior division? I'm 20, so uh, I'm not sure I can enter there, though I'm sure other kneelos in the men's division would be happy to wipe the floor with me.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by PaulN »

Dude fix the box yourself. go to Swaylocks, do a search, use solarrez or get a ding repair kit. Its not rocket science.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Darryl - For kneeboards, have Buddy shape you one. He will rock your world.

I rode stinger KBs back in the 70's. They were single fins and the concept was to break the water flow on the rail by dropping in the stinger wing. No comparison to today's modern KBs.
kbing since plywood days
DARRYL/2112

Single fin Kneeboards

Post by DARRYL/2112 »

Surfhorn,

i emailed Buddy a few years back asking if he could shape a single fin stinger but he replied that he only shapes what he sells/rides.so thats cool,i know i'm a dying breed,if Ben Aipa can't shape one,i'll probaly hang it up,George Downing did a great job supplying me with stingers but he's getting up there in age.
my style of kneeboarding was heavily influenced by the Bertleman/Lydell/Buttons 70's shortboard attack,as i mentioned earlier i tried sting pin thrusters,4 fins, etc.

i'll post a photo of my new board later.
Darryl
skansand

solarre=z

Post by skansand »

i was told not to use solar rez for fin repair as its brittle compared to normal polyester or epoxy........AND if you pulled out a fin-box solar rez WONT cure as it wont be in contact with sunlight..........i WOuld fix it myself if i was confidant in my skills to.........but if your not confident ...you should go to the froghouse
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Darryl, I suspect Dean Cleary could make a single fin for you. I think he works in S. Cali. He used to tear it up on a double wing, single fin, pintail in Huntington Beach in the 70's.
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
albert

Post by albert »

Actually I may as well chime in a bit seeing as I have been riding a single fin every once in a while over the last month or so...

Basically what I think it does is two things. first of all the board is going to feel looser. Which in my opinion makes you have to use your rails to bite into the wave a bit more and drive less off the fins and tail. It could have its advantages but I havent seen them. Secondly I found it made me be really sensitive to the flex of the fin, constantly worrying whether it would spin out or not and it would make me have to depend more on the rail than I would normally.

I also found I had very little to zero drive on a wave. A few times I remember pumping up and down the face of the wave to drive up some speed and I couldnt do it. It seems like the board would get stuck in first gear and I couldnt find any others. Then when I went back to my regular board it seemed not to have a first gear, which is good!

Thats about it for now
DARRYL/2112

single fins

Post by DARRYL/2112 »

one drawback was at side slipping on waves at Bowls,Lanis,Vland etc.
i used a 6 inch flex fin,it was easy to do 360's left/right and spinners coming down the face of the wave. :lol:

Darryl