The Media and KBing

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

The Media and KBing

Post by surfhorn »

Since people on this site seem to have their panties in a bunch over the way the media portrays KBing, there is a positive clip in the September 2006 issue of Transworld Surf. (Vol 8. Number 8)

On page 72 the article "Redefining the Tube" reviews Shaun Tomson's contribution to tube riding, giving him credit for modern tube riding.

But in the last column it states:

" And although kneeboarders like George Greenough and Rex Huffman had been manuevering in the barrel for years, it was Tomson who brought dynamic tube riding into the mainstrem realm of stand-up surfing".
kbing since plywood days
freshfruitflava
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by freshfruitflava »

Yeah, I remember a few years ago there was an article here (in Tracks, I think) on backhand tuberiding that noted the similarities between Slater's drop-knee approach to that of kneeboarders.
That was a positive aside as well if I recall correctly.
(Maybe it's only when a kneelo is directly Q & A'd within scribbling distance that the panties get twisted???)
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Nice to see Rex getting the credit he deserves.
GG, Lis, and Romo get a lot of props due to the facts that they were distinguished shapers.
Rex, however, earned his rep in the pit.
Absolute legend.
However... in retro-spec... Novo and young Simon's maneuvering in the barrel (as seen in WATER SLAUGHTER) was far more impressive.... and far more relevant to modern surfing.
Too bad those guys never get any credit.
EQ

P.S. So Surfhorn... Kneelos wear panties now. :roll:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Does it count if it felt like my wife put my speedo in the freezer overnight?
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

growing up and starting my kb'ing in the Windansea/Big Rock arenas, our gang of kids grew up idolizing Rex, Mark Huffman and Skinner. Their exploits on the gnarly days at the Rock were legendary...those guys had cojones the size of melons.

As far as the media's dim view of kb'ing, my personal view is that even in light of the explosive new crew and the bevy of groundbreaking shapers, it will always be kept in the closet. I think Romo's and Sharp's quotes may have been taken out of context somewhat, and shouldn't be taken quite as seriously as some subscribers have viewed them. As well, I believe that Surfer cut the KB community short (again!!!) by not interviewing the "new wave" of KB shredders and shapers.

Overall, there IS a strong resurgence, one not seen since the 70's. Alot of it is led by what appears to be the guys of the first generation. What will define the future, will be the current crop of kids...and if they choose to stick with the sport/art, and not "regress" into the stand-up mode :lol:

Just my 2 cents worth, for what it's worth :roll:
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

I think Romo's and Sharp's quotes may have been taken out of context somewhat, and shouldn't be taken quite as seriously as some subscribers have viewed them.
It was good to read this, because I had emailed Romo about the article and he was (to use a nicer phrase than the one that's in my mind) angry. As usual Surfer Mag couldn't get anything right about kneeboarding. All the slides he sent at their request were clearly captioned, and they still messed them up. They evidently wanted to paint kneeboarding as a sport of eccentrics, so they mislabeled the picture of Sean, who fit the bill and who had never even seen a spoon prior to the day of the pics. They didn't read a word of his letter of submission. His verbal answers to their questions were exaggerated and twisted to fit their angle. SELL is the name of the game -- dirt sells. The only quote they got right was his observation on the SoCal "booger plague," and he's not recanting a word of that.

Ron's big enough and experienced enough that he won't defend himself on any public forum. That would be degrading in itself. But there are two sides to every story and it was good to see kidrock cutting the accused a little slack.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

You guys.... I get it.
It hurts. You don't want to believe Romo and Sharp would say these things... You don't want to believe that two guys who earned ALL their Surf-Cred as Kneelos would be so derisive and dismissive to the sport. And just like the guy who doesn't want to believe his wife is cheating on him, you'll do anything to convince yourselves it isn't true.
"WAKE UP!"

These guys have said these same things for the last 20 years. EVERY TIME they talk to the press they say THE SAME THINGS.
They have never said one positive thing about Contests, Modern Kneelos, Modern Designs, or Videos. NOT ONE!!!!! They have, however, made numerous idiotic remarks.
My personal favorite?
In the article that appeared in SURFERS JOURNAL a couple of years ago, Romo choose all the photos and wrote all the captions. He included a photo of Jack Beresford and Barry Baker running into the water for an NSSA Contest and wrote: "This is the antithesis of Kneeboarding."
Really?... Jack and Barry?! Two of my personal heros... the two guys who have done more to inspire me to become a better surfer than anyone... are the ANTITHESIS of kneeboarding because they love to surf contests?!?!?!
Holy Cr@p, who knew?
How about 4 time World Champ Simon Farrer? Is he antithesis too? What about Novo, Gigs, Kyle, Gavin, and Baden?
And it goes without saying that the useless ex-World Champ Don Harris is the definition of "antithesis".:roll:

Show me one positive thing they have said about Modern Kneelos and I'll take it all back... until then, save it.

Ron's big enough and experienced enough that he won't defend himself on any public forum. That would be degrading in itself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
REALLY?! You're buying that hor$e$hit?
I got an idea, how about Romo gets "big enough" and "experienced enough" to NOT talk to a the PUBLIC press and "degrade" us anymore...
or be man enough to come in here and apologize and figure out how to useful for once.
EQ
PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by PaulN »

eqKneelo wrote:
I got an idea, how about Romo gets "big enough" and "experienced enough" to NOT talk to a the PUBLIC press and "degrade" us anymore...
or be man enough to come in here and apologize and figure out how to useful for once.
EQ

Ed- If you are as personally offended as you seem why not just call or e-mail him and ask him whats up instead of going internet tough guy all of the time and calling him out on this forum? Just a thought.
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

He included a photo of Jack Beresford and Barry Baker running into the water for an NSSA Contest and wrote: "This is the antithesis of Kneeboarding." Really?... Jack and Barry?!
Yo Ed, it didn't say, "They are the antithesis..." It said, "This is..." What is "this"? When you talk to Ron, ask him. If it's Jack and Barry, get an apology. If it isn't, no harm done -- you can apologize to us.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Ed- If you are as personally offended as you seem why not just call or e-mail him and ask him whats up instead of going internet tough guy all of the time and calling him out on this forum? Just a thought.
Last edited by eqKneelo on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Because I don't give a crap about him, Paul... and I'm not the one saying stupid things in the International Press.

What I do care about, are the guys who've started the Youth Movement in this country... and it pisses me off when people degrade it.

Look, I know you're trying to stick up for your boy, but this has been a long time coming, and there's too much on the line right now to tolerate it any more. (World Titles, Videos, Cadets)
The truth is, he doesn't give a crap about me... or anything I say... or anything to do with the KSUSA. Romo cares about Romo, and his antiquated vision of kneelos.... and he's proven it over and over.

You know what's sad, Paul?
You can be confrontational... you can demean me personally by calling me an "Internet Tough Guy" (:lol:)... but you couldn't do the one thing I asked:
Give me ONE positive quote or action regarding modern kneelos.

Maybe you and your shaper outta get together and work on that.
Just a thought.

EQ
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Man O' War wrote:
He included a photo of Jack Beresford and Barry Baker running into the water for an NSSA Contest and wrote: "This is the antithesis of Kneeboarding." Really?... Jack and Barry?!
Yo Ed, it didn't say, "They are the antithesis..." It said, "This is..." What is "this"? When you talk to Ron, ask him. If it's Jack and Barry, get an apology. If it isn't, no harm done -- you can apologize to us.
Are you kidding me? You're arguing semantics?!!!!!
(Must be a slow day on your SPOON site.)
HE FEELS CONTESTS ARE THE ANTITHESIS OF KNEEBOARDING!!!!
O.k., FINE!!! It's still a moronic thing to say! And, it goes against EVERYTHING World Champ Don Harris, 5x US Champ 2x KSUSA Champ Jack Beresford, KSUSA Champ Barry Baker, Tom Lynn, and 4x World Champ Simon Farrer stand for... (to name but 5 of about 500).
Just curious... if someone had put a picture of you holding a Spoon up in the Gallery and said:
"This is for Donkeys" wouldn't you be offended?
Probably! And rightly so... and I'd be firing off angry posts in your defense and I've never even ridden a spoon.
Look, You guys are getting emotional because you're trying to defend indefensible comments.
You want to back Romo, fine... that's your business... but the rest of us are calling B.S.

EQ
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

Ed,
having a on-going online tantrum over this thing makes us look just as foolish as anything else.
in your fervor to defend all you consider to be right in kneeboarding you are distorting and embellishing on what is being said.
an example would be when (whichever of them) said that kneeboarding won't get you chicks. you turn it around to and say he's calling us homos. :lol: kind of a stretch huh?
i would ask you if kneeboarding has ever gotten you laid but i doubt it.
it sure has'nt been a chick magnet for me.
"you're a kneeboarder! whats that?" "how come you don't stand up"
"how do you stand up with fins on?"

call me a loser if you must....but true for me.
contests are not the most important thing for a lot of people. you're going to have to accept that there are different viewpoints which are not mutually exclusive of each other. i'm sure there are lots of guys who are not interested in participating in a contest yet still support the efforts of those who put all the work into those events. i do.
all this.... us and them......part of the solution or part of the problem, is sooooo black and white.
kneeboarding"s past is about individuals who did'nt give a rats ass what anyone thought. all that darn disregard for the status quo gave birth to the shortboard revolution.
you can't kill off the past as a foundation for the future.
you come off as the voice of KSUSA. since no one seems to put a cabosh on it....i guess it's partially true.
you could do a better job of limiting the "high school linebacker on meth/caped crusader of kneeboarding" persona. :idea:
only my humble opinion.
(i'm sure i'll regret getting back into this one) :o
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
albert

Post by albert »

eqKneelo wrote: You guys are getting emotional...
I think you need a hug!