Our First Real Winter Swell - or just another dud???

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Our First Real Winter Swell - or just another dud???

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

believe it when I see it

Post by sf_firestarter »

like last week...I'll wait to see
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: Couldn't find that report!Thought maybe you dreamed it...
Anyways looks like a small south under a small nw for saturday,that might work.Channel bar is absolutely perfect,Needs some size.Drove to cron...garbage,got some cheaper gas though.3.05 here in town.Did a few chores.Sound like OF's wed on.Probably run to OB; if it happens.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

K,

EQ and I have been plotting for Wed/Thurs. Don's back, I'll give him a shout. Wed-Friday are looking promising, and maybe more.

Looks like a high low-tide around mid-day. Not the best, but there should be enough swell.

Let's try to coordinate for a kneelo peak or two...

Question: Is there a way to send PMs to multiple people? Do you separate names with a comma? Semi-colon?
K-man

Post by K-man »

Sounds cool...Your backyard,I'm free as a bird all week! :D
Don't know about multiple PM's...
Looks like a decent ebb early?morning sickness?
stemple

Post by stemple »

I could potentially pull off mid day on friday. I am not free until noon though. Keep me posted
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

I'm calling for a Weds. OB Dawn patrol. High tide is around Sunrise... should be nicely groomed all morning with the offshores and out-going tide. Bob, Wessling, TheKneeloPimp, and I will be on it.

K-Man-
Checked Sea Drift at Low Tide... it was painfully perfect at about thigh-high. Robbie and a couple kids were longboarding it... 3 more feet and it woulda been Day-Off-The-Year... oh well. :wink:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The multiple PMs would help with local distributions, and not broadcast... halp!

So, amongst the baker's dozen of forecasts, here's my $.02...

Tomorrow: I'm guessing morning sickness for DP. But... around 10:30-11AM... clean up with dropping tide. Get on it before 2PM, when tide and winds whack it a bit. HH-OH. I'm thinking of being at the Beach at 10:30AM.

Thursday: While window is roughly the same, winds are now not shifting as much. DP should be OK, but still fat tide. I'm thinking DP... at the beach at 6:30AM.

Friday: Smaller version of Thursday. DP if needed, or try a late morning. I'm on the fence. Maybe DP, maybe later. I'll post again as the plot develops.

Until the multiple-PM thing is figured out, please throw me a PM with your contact info if interested...
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

OK... I just read EQ's DP call for tomorrow.

Don't know about schedules, but it's blowing at 18kts now, and has been blowing. Also, it's almost 6' tide at 6AM.

Time to call!

My vote is late morning, but willing to DP if that's the group call...
K-man

Post by K-man »

:lol: I'm gonna play it by ear.We've got 3 days to all come together.
Got my bushnell scope 25x.If it looks sort of OK thru the scope from the mesa,next step is the headlands.Check the flag at the toll booths...If it's blowing thru the gate,or if lands end area looks decent,I'll pay the 5 spot.Don't have a cell.
Or else one of the cron crew will know...and if they're not there,I'll know where they're at :lol:
Spent many hours sitting at the beach waiting for MS to go away..I've got a hunch bob is right.....

cheers
stemple

Post by stemple »

OB usually needs a day to settle down after a good NW blow, the longer you wait the better. I have found the bars to be better at mid tide, around 4 foot to have best shape lately. Forecast calls for dropping swell but offshores to kick in. As usual keeping close eye on it might yield excellent rewards. OB is a fickle spot that can go from epic to shitty in a less than a hour. Thursday maybe the best day for the combo of swell and shape.

Its still 5 knots and onshore right now
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

So...

It took a little while longer this AM since there was frost to scrape off the car windshield. It was 37F according to my car thermometer. The Weather Channel said NNW winds at 7.

To my surprise, it was moderate-to-strong offshore, and fairly groomed ocean. Surf was HH-OH, and fairly short period. Unfortunately, that, the wind, and tide was making it a bit mushy.

Don charged out right away. Scott, Ed and I watched.

Scott left, and Don came in. Ed and I went out at the Southern North-end. It wasn't doing the inner bar / outer bar mix-up, so it was generally more focused and top-to-bottom.

As the tide dropped, it only seemed to get more funky where we were.

In general, brilliant day with amazing visibility. It's almost too offshore, but definitely worth a go. The South end was starting to turn on as I was leaving...

Tomorrow? DP... 6:30 Don time or 8AM 'Sun has broken the horizon' time.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.