Time in the water

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

alfredo zavala
Legend (Contribution King!)

Time in the water

Post by alfredo zavala »

I have to say to many of you out there that the more I cruise this website the more envious I get of many of you!
You dudes are scoring big time!!
How is it that so many of you get so much time in the water!!??
Does anyone have a full time job out there and families and wives(not in the Mormon sense)?
I live vicariously through some of your lives!!
Week long Ranch trips,blasting airs in Indo(righteous!),Northern Baja with 2 others out,the "Don" with the Baker in cranking No cal rights!! etc. . .Check out the album!!
Its enough to make a grown man cry!
How do you guys do it during the week?
Any tips for a weekend warrior/family man to get more surf ?
Are there just alot of surf rats out there living day to day but surfing like mad, or just trust fund babies?
I need more tube time!!!
God bless you bros scoring - don't take it for granted!!

Looking forward to longer days and grown children . . .
Fredo Z
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Fredo - from the guys that I have met here in the OC it is a combination of all of the above. Entrepenuers, blue collar guys, attorneys, nurses, etc. - the common thread is that everyone is able to make time to sneak in even an hour. Admittedly - much easier when the kids are a little older. Pays to have a little network to call around and see where and wehn it is good as well. Hang in there - you live in God's country so the rest of us are totally jealous!!!!

Jimbo
MIK911
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MIK911 »

Fredo,
I hear ya brah!!
Think Quality, not Quantity.
Yesterday (Sunday), I hit Manhattan Pier for some righteous shoulder high peelers for 1 hr. Door to door 1.5 hrs. Everyone's happy:)
skansand

Post by skansand »

surfings #1 priority...dont be afraid to surf nights or dawn patrol it...i know its cold...but hoods,gloves,booties help... :roll:

mike, your gonna have to update your profile now that the 6'2 freelines on swaylocks for 150..... :)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Thanks alot bros for the encuragement!! Its nice to know I'm not alone.
I can thank God that I do live in Gods country, so when I do get out, its not World Wide Wrestling out in the water!
I'll try to remember to be thankful for even the little crumbs I can get!!
I do have a plan to get the little ones out in the water though. . .
Just a matter of time. . .
Get shacked!
Fredo Z
byunhosa
Local (More than 25 post)

Water Time

Post by byunhosa »

I'm sitting here in a hotel room in friggin' Tucson working all week, surfing my favorite website, and complaining to myself that I haven't had a day in the water yet in 2007. I'm praying for surf on Friday am when I return so I can finally get in the water. Get it when you can!

I think it's time to schedule some business in Santa Barbara. JackG? Jimbo? Putzie?

Scott
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Scott - no worries. Supposed to be pumping Friday and Sat. We'll hit it. Can't wait to be the latest member of Shoely nation!!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Fredo Z I stayed in Paso last night. Went to M-Rock this morrning. Wish I had my board. Some weeks it is 3 times some times it is 3 weeks. go when you can. 8)
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

to quote the great and short lived animated comedy Futurama, "i haven't had this much free time since I was 21 through 24!"

when i have to start work in the "morning" its 11AM. i get to surf every morning, usually without the dawn patrol crowd. i guess the key would be having three part time jobs, none of which pay very well, and not having any responsibilities like a mortgage, car payment, or ahem wife.

the downside? i work 6 days a week, still have no money to buy new boards (or anything else), come home covered with either glass, resin, and catalyst OR smelling like soy sauce and mongolian beef, and i'm riding a board that literally has been beaten to smithereens. i can't even take girls out, i have to fanagle them into buying ME dinner and drinks (which is a great skill to have i guess).

sorry you don't get to surf so much, but you live in paso robles, and my god that has to count for something!
MIK911

Post by MIK911 »

skansand--i'll update my profile as soon as i sell the Freeline----want to buy it?:)
Ocean--thought you wanted to buy my Freeline for $100? Still for sale.
skansand

Post by skansand »

so what are you riding mostly now mike?....romo or cleary?
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
john -

Post by john - »

to get more waves handling sleep deprivation is important if you have a young family

stay up later than the mrs and get the dishes done and the morning organised

get up for the dawn patrol and paddle out with just enough light to not hit rocks

home as the family gets up then work...weekends maybe a little later but no returns to bed...gotta play with the kids and do the garden ,house maintenance whatever

drink only quality coffee...oven top expresso....but only one a day at peak tiredness time...wors in reverse if you drink to much (does me anyway through poor health)

even living on the coast means workin up the brownie points and less sleep

a 30 minute paddle in 2 foot onshore is better than 2 weeks without a wave and keeps you fit
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Cool to hear from all yous
Great advice!
I have to admit that It's not like I haven't scored now or in my past.
I do have a hot wife -39 going on 40- still looking tasty! My kids are a real true joy in my life. I have a great job which allows me to live where I do and keep the mrs. at home to raise the menehunes.
Before i was married I lived off and on in Hawaii and French Polynesia and I had enough surf through those years toward my credit that I should never complain!
It's just so freakin' great that one can't get enough, eh?
I am a hard core dawn patroller - without a doubt the early bird gets the worm. 4/3 standard up here even in summer,gloves, booties,hoodie - for sure!
I grew up in the OC so I know what you guys have to deal with down there, but the surf is good.
Mahalo
Fredo z
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

I guess I'm lucky by having an evening job. I work as a chef in Pebble beach and I work from 2:00 pm to 12:00 pm. Morning sessions almost exclusively. But I have every day off untill 2:00. I can surf every day of the week if I really wanted to. The down side is that I have to deal with very long work weeks, sometimes 7 days a week and all the stress of working a restaurant job. I have no kids, no wife, no dog, no house, just me and my department store mannequin. Yes life is good.
C J Gagner

Post by C J Gagner »

Mr. Hall that maniquin must love you to put up with all that!!! :twisted: