Is Wave Chop the Kneeboarders Last Enemy???

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

dogtown
Local (More than 25 post)

Is Wave Chop the Kneeboarders Last Enemy???

Post by dogtown »

Chopped up wave faces are about the only condition I dont particually like to kneeboard in,with modern board shapes,rocker line,fin placement etc all other conditions from onshore sludge to dredging pits, fun can be had.
Just like to get peoples thoughts on possible board shape,technology (maybe some kind of hydro-foil system)to over come this problem...

:roll: :shock: :cry: :?: :?: :idea:
"yes grasshopper'when you can walk the rice paper without making a sound,you are ready to leave the temple"
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

watch headwaxs video (the less tripppy one)..... dudes ripping the slop with his 6'1 14 mil single-concave tri-fin....at least i think thats what hes riding.......
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

always found a board with more foam will smash through bumps alot easier than a board with low volume
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Scott

Post by Scott »

Dogtown is asking a good question, particularly when considering the upper limits of kneeriding big waves. My experience is about 15' faces, even on days that aren't considered "bumpy" the speed of the board over any uneveness on the face of big waves creates a lot of instability. Over 20', well there are only a few who will even give that a go--it's really sketchy. Over 25' faces, even if a kneelo can get his (or her!) board into the wave, it's pretty much out of the question to negotiate the bouncing.

A mere 6" of chop becomes the giant-killer. Could any board design really help overcome this while riding on knees, unable to absorb the bouncing?
Johnboy Walton

Post by Johnboy Walton »

I've found thicker boards with simpler bottom curves (ie. no channels, concave etc) have worked better for me in bumpy/choppy waves. I've also found lower rails (not sure of correct terminology) in the front third-half of a board don't work for me in these conditions either.

when I was was sub-55kgs (not sure what that is in lbs) I had problems in choppy surf over 3-4ft. this in not a problem now as I'm packing a few extra kegs.
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

that exactly right Johnno..... 8)

dad
coach
godfather
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Yeah Scott,I was refering to larger faced waves :shock: :( ,also Im not saying these waves are unrideable,its just the control factor takes a dive and for me bouncing around off chop ,just aint fun..
Maybe a longer narrower board 7"x 23. :? :?:
"yes grasshopper'when you can walk the rice paper without making a sound,you are ready to leave the temple"
Kauaikneelo

chop

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Handles? :wink:
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

heavier

dad
coach
godfather
red

Post by red »

Vee/roll up front, softer rails ameliorate chop effects.
Thicker, longer, stiffer board no problems - smooths the ride.

Flat rocker, down rails, wide tails, short wide boards make chop worse. I remember skipping like a (out of control) loon down some heavy Outer Kom peaks in the 80's on those 5'8"s I used to surf. lot of air time!

Dogtown, get a 7'0 hull bottom and you will be able to have a ball in big bumpy Wooly beachies. Uncrowded, too!
dogtown

Post by dogtown »

Thanks guys,Red thats in line with what I was thinking,7 ft just seems so long to me :shock: ,but then again not to long ago so did 6 ft :roll: .I guess it gets back to my original post ,having the correct board to optimize the conditions at hand .Mmmm,a new board in the quiver 8)

Hey Red,I was thinking pin tail :?: Winter waves, big Surfies point,Express, Summerlands etc... :twisted:
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

mMght want to rethink those 25 inch boards too.Slap,Slap ,slap.
bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Chops no fun

Post by bdwqld »

I have a 5'7" x 23.5" fish with lots of rocker, single concave under the nose become double concave under the knees, that exits out through the double flyers. It is a typical thruster setup with large galsses in front fins and a smaller FCS down back. The board has chined rails, it is a little bit like one of Neil Lukes freaks except it has a wider swallow tail and is shorter. This board does not like chop. Anything bigger than 4 foot with a bit of chop it gets very skitterish. Fun to ride but I have come unstuck in very inconvenient places. My next board will be a little longer say 5'10" x 23" a little less rocker and have deeper concaves to help settle it down when it gets choppy (I hope).
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
red

Post by red »

mate, I have a board in that size range you can try - it makes big onshore wooly quite fun. Especially when the surfers are scratching in the midbreak and you come flying past from an outside bomb. Gets you out of trouble quick when you see the sets coming. It'll definitely do EP, too.

Oh yes, there's also a 6'6" Quorra of mine in Island Surf Shop you can take for a run. Loads of drive and paddle.