General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

LA Advice

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Greetings all...

I'm busy enjoying 8 months of "unemployment" while I'm between continents.... busy moving (rather slowly) from London to Sydney and going to be spending the next 6 months from Saturday in LA surfing, hanging and doing not much else!!!!

Need some advice though....

1) What wetsuit do I need? Guess the 5mm from the UK is going to be overkill!!!!! Will a 3mm suffice?

2) Spot advice..... am going to be staying in Calabasas with family, so the closest spot in a straight line is going to be Malibu... hear its not too crowded lately (not)!!!! Any advise on spots between Santa Monica and Ventura will be appreciated (swells, winds, tides.... anything to help a kneelo get more water time)...... Guess PM's would be most appropriate!!??!!

3) Any kneelos in the area, drop me a PM and we can hopefully hook up for some water time.

4) Any used car dealers out there wanted to give me the deal of a lifetime???? :roll:

Cheers
Peter
On your knees, if you please
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Freakin awesome for you CC. 3 mill is fine in SoCal all year long. Look up Mutiny and the Huntington Beach dudes, Twinfinfish, Ler etc... Maybe I will see you in August when I visit. And STAY AWAY from Paris Hilton, she's all mine :lol: :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KevinJFina »

CC:
i surf regularly, since moving my biz back to Chatsworth At Malibu 3-4 days per week. From Calabasas(pumpkin in Chumash)8.5 miles to the bu.
It is flat this week but my sesh time is late arvo to early evening(sunset) and usually with exception of a local simi valley KB er-I am the only-me-by myself-Kneeboarder out, enjoying all the peace and tranquility Malibu has to offer. Oh yeah-feel the love. For the most part 99 % of the people that do the evening are pretty nice ladies and gentlemen(yes there are a few women who rip there) :D . Pm if you want to hit it as unfortunately it is a machine like right break that does have unfortunately pretty excellent shape :!: . Yes it does get crowded but I find btween 2nd and third point-literately no interference-it is steeper-you can take a lot deeper and later and if it is OH make the connection-The last two years since rediscovering Malibu- I have had some keeper of dreamscape rides.
Peace,
Kevin
albert

Post by albert »

Peter.

Let us know when your arriving in Sydney.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I am about to start a project in Calabasas right at the corner of Las Virgenes Road and Highway 101, right on the way to Malibu. It will be going from mid july through early October so I will coming and going at least once a week and staying for a few days each time. I would love surf late afternoons with Kevin or Cripple. PM me anytime. I will be in town this friday as well. I am looking for a place to stash a board. It costs me $100 in board fees round trip from the Bay area.

Feel free to stop by the project site its right behind the Starbucks by the Albertson's parking lot. Its a restoration of Las Virgenes Creek where we are removing the concrete channel and replacing it with a natural channel configuration and native vegetation. Groundbreaking is taking place on the 18th at 6 pm.

album_showpage.php?pic_id=1116
Last edited by stemple on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

crip, the current water temp is 72 F. the ost you will need between now and late october is a spring suit. a 3mm fully should do ya anytime here. let me know if you need a hook up on a new suit and what size ya are and i can get ya a discount on an aleeda
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I'm near LAX and will be traveling back and forth between here and Santa Barbara County throughout the summer if you want to road trip. Ventura and Jalama can be good summertime spots. Plus El Porto has had the best summer surf since I moved here. Sounds like Kevin has been hitting my old haunt at the 'bu. When I used to surf there it was a bit wally, which kept the corwd down to almost nothing, and it was well worth the wait for the occasional reeling gems. Please bring Tesco lemon and raisin pancakes, a malt loaf or two, and some Branston pickle. :)
Why do Moroccan tree climbing goats make great pets?
a. They'll mow, and fertilize, your lawn.
b. They can climb trees!
c. Goat's milk, cheese, yogurt, etc is pretty tasty
d. The goats themselves are pretty tasty.
e. All of the above
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Stemple - If you need, my daughter and her husband (hot standup surfer) lives at my mother-in-laws in Santa Monica. Although its a ways from where you'll be working, you could stash your equipment no problem.

Also, one old my old time surf buddies lives up Corral Canyon and would be open to letting you keep your stuff there. The road is a nasty climb and has a tendancy to eat up your trani though.
kbing since plywood days
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Welcome to Cali! I'm down to get a kneelo sesh in anytime in the dirty old South Bay.

Maybe a little south bay kneelo gathering is in order? Are you down, Sprocklander, Will Perez...anyone? I would be stoked to take some photos of local kneelos ripping up the waves, and get some fun waves in myself.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
WillP

Post by WillP »

Check your PM's.
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

I didn't get one.
WillP

Post by WillP »

I was talking to Peter
kneelingBROTHA

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

My bad mang.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The Mighty EQ is right around Sprocky's hood as well, but he may be a bit pre-disposed, as he narrowly escaped spontaneous combustion the other night. :wink: :wink: :wink: Too bad about losing your job to your ex-wife!

I hadn't seen a Eureka episode for a looong time, and noticed it on the other night... good stuff, EQ!
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Cheers for the info guys.... really helpful, keep it coming!!!

Mike F - you can keep the right to being the eiffel tower!!! :twisted:

Albert - 14 Jan!!! Will look you south coasters up when I arrive!! :lol:

Stemple - will swing past your project, and drop me a PM when you'll be around and we can hook up for a surf.

Kava - I'm 6'4" and skinny...... need to try before i buy, but shot for the offer!!! :shock:

Sprocky - Will be keen for a couple of road trips.... let me know when you go!!! I'm sure the sniffer dogs will get to the pickle before you do!!! :roll:

KBROTHA - Sure i'll head further south for a few surfs.... will let you know.

Kevin, Surfhorn, WillP - I'll PM you guys!!!
On your knees, if you please