A shaper called "The Rat"

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

A shaper called "The Rat"

Post by bdwqld »

I have two Stump Kneeboards shaped by "the Rat". Does anyone know anything about this shaper. Stump Surfboards are in Rye on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria Aus.':?:'

album_showpage.php?pic_id=10691
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
finger

Post by finger »

Red
May be one that can help shed some light
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

If they're Stumps then they were shaped by Andrew Stump for Rat
Rat is a hot kneelo from Peninsula area. His boards were tailor made for his style which is somewhat unique, hence the volume in the tail (probably)in the models you have.

Stump's producing mind blowing boards right now - been working with Stan, Budgen and me for a few years now and he's got something special happening with full concave bottoms and tight rails. Rode one the other day and it's the best board I've surfed in a long long time.
Kev

Post by Kev »

Even though I am heading to Byron in the next few days to Dave Parkes and probably order a typical Parkes Quad
(cos I've never surfed or owned a Parkes before and think I should before I die )
I have every intention of getting Andrew to shape a couple of Tri Fins (ala Red/Stan )
for me as soon as I'm back on the Peninsular

Stan hasn't stopped raving about his latest Stump Board AND the Stump styled knee and feet pads.

Stan confirms that Red thinks it is pretty good and perhaps one of the best boards he has surfed for a long while. Stan has told me this at least a couple of times.

8)
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

red wrote:If they're Stumps then they were shaped by Andrew Stump for Rat
Rat is a hot kneelo from Peninsula area. His boards were tailor made for his style which is somewhat unique, hence the volume in the tail (probably)in the models you have.
Thanks Red that sort of clears things up a bit, come to think of it they do have thicker tails than a lot of other boards I have looked at. I bought them from Zaks in Thornbury when I was living in Melbourne. I thought they were shaped by Rat as they have a "rat" drawn on them.
john -

Post by john - »

Hi Red

do you know if the the Rat once rode Balin boards...shaped by the main standup shaper there I think

this is back in the early to mid 90's....and Im thinking Rat might be a fuller volumed chap himself (tall, broad)

I was once given a lend of a board to ride whilst waiting for my Balin to be made...a few kneelos around the peninsula were on them back then...and I seem to remember someone saying the board belonged the Rat and it was a big board because he was a big boy,,,had a peninsula surf riders club logo under the laminate.

Great board! rode it on some big days at "Tiber st " in Blaigowrie.

cheers
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Rat did once ride balin boards for about 6 yrs as he did airbrushing for balin..

That was in the days Nepean board riders were around mainly compeating around the portsea area. Other kneelos that were riding them in those days were red hot surfers Pete Fairweather and Phill Chadwick some of Victorias most decorated Kneelos.

rat then went on to riding his own shapes that Andrew Stump would help him with as Rat was airbrushing designs at stump surf.

Rats a red hot surfer he is 6ft5inches and 130kg and his style is greatly influenced by skateboarding... James (pom) Anderson and Greg Budgen think when hes doing his uniquley different thing in the surf that he is the best surfer in the world... He realy surfs well in the 2 to 5 foot range so his boards are designed towards those wave sizes
john -

Post by john - »

thanks Stanly :D

need some pics posted of Rat doing his thing!

Im soon to get a hold of another big man's board to use as my bigger wave board based on my experience on Rat's board...this time an Island that was shaped for a similar sized fella. Im thinking wider boards at gunnish lengths work well for me better than the 22' inch models

Strange what things stick with you and then become links later on as well.
Kev

Post by Kev »

I have a reletively large Freak you are welcome to have a go on
(an old board that belonged to Dane H)

and Dane H , from the West Coast, currently has a Tri and a Quad Freak
have a talk to him
rat
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by rat »

Wow a friend of mine just showed me this post. So i thought i would say hello. My name is andrew( rat ). Still shapeing, still surfing. Add me on facebook if you like( andrew wratten) i can give any info you like. Cheers Rat
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Andrew,
welcome to the cyber world of kneeboarding. I still have the blue swallow tail shown here.
[albumimg]10692[/albumimg]
It was my first kneeboard, the board that turned me to the dark side.
It has its permanent place in my collection, never thought of selling it.
Cheers,
Byron
rat

Post by rat »

Wow. That blue board was an experiment i did. The tail end is off a realy old 5'2 oke kneeboard that goes realy good in small waves. The top end is my template. Thay board was built to be ridden in no bigger than 2-4ft for a heavy person . Unfortunatly it didnt go well for me. It was to short and thick.

Most of my boards are 2 1/4 inch in the middle and 5'10 long.

Im amazed to see that board. Cheers mate.

All the boards i shape either have a rat decal inbetween the fins or on the end in greylead also a number.
Facebook= andrew wratten
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Yep it has "the rat" decal in pencil and No12 2004. The board is 5'7" and just over 24 wide.
Anything over 4ft and it is very skitterish.
I have used that tail and double fliers in most of my recent boards. Lost a little width in the nose though.
This board is 5'9" and 23 wide.

[fullalbumimg]28950[/fullalbumimg]

I havent ridden the Stump recently it will be interesting, as I have dropped about 12kg since I bought that board.
Next time I am in the deep dark south we will have to catch up for a couple waves.
Cheers,
Byron