Sparrow's Inside & Out film available!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

jdkneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jdkneelo »

As great a cricketer the great man was it was a QLD bowler the aboriginal paceman eddie gilbert bradman just couldn,t handle. But due to the politics of that era poor eddie couldn,t play any higher than for his state. what the hell has this got to do with kneeboards
ross
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ross »

WAY OFF TOPIC
What has this got to do with kneeboarding?? Absolutely nothing.
Yet another good positive, thread tarnished (not to mention, bumped after a week of laying dormant) with irrelevant tripe.

BACK ON TOPIC
when the first movie came out, I was about sixteen. The elder crew of kneelos involved in running things back in those days decided to put on a pro junior contest! ( ah, what healthy times they were.Enough juniors to run four or five heats back when a junior was under nineteen!).
I badly wanted "The Sparrow Has Landed" and SF had been kind enough to drive an hour and a half from home to judge and encourage the grommets at the contest, bringing a few copies of the new movie along 8) .
Makes me smile now to think my old man practically forced me to approach SF to ask him for a copy personally as i was pretty shy. I must of wanted it pretty bad cause i actually got the gumption up to do it and after slapping $20 in the mans hand i walked away with my own copy( a 16 year old could afford $20 bucks 18 years ago! a 16 year old would wipe there arse with 20 nowadays :lol: ). Certainly dulled the pain of another solid defeat at the hands of the infamous Johnboy Walton :lol:
My mum was more than a little concerned at the mileage those first two movies did on our VCR, i estimate 5000km. Every morning before school i ate my cereal watching my favourite sections, watching every weight distribution, the lines being drawn and being exposed to other kneelos like Gigs . I was like a creepy little sponge/stalker soaking in all this info, good god, if only my co-ordination had matched my determination :lol:
Those movies inspired( alongside LITMUS) me to travel and as i left school i used them as a tool to remind me why i was going to work everyday and staying home on weekends so i could save to go overseas .Trust me, when your job is nightshift loading semi trailers with 90kg beef quaters with a crew of hard living Maori lads, YOU NEED INSPIRATION.I was lucky to travel to quite a few of the locations in these movies , to try and emulate the lines already drawn and to try and carve a few of my own

Something tells me that maybe I owe a little more than forty skins if there were to be another Sparrow production.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Ross,
Too cool mate!
Brad :D
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Well as a result of the most recent thoughts of this thread I felt compelled to put out $40.00 and buy this DVD.

Actually a good friend picked it up for me at the O'side contest and just sent it to me in the mail.

I really don't have words to express just how great the whole thing is!

I watched it twice back to back.

My first kneelo DVD.

I am very grateful to Mr. Ferrer for his effort to our small tribe.

Likewise i was so stoked to watch the caliber of surfing by all those involved. You make me proud.

THIS FLICK HAS ALREADY INSPIRED ME TO TAKE MY KNEERIDING TO ANOTHER LEVEL!!

I think this is called S T O K E! :D

So just wanted to thank all involved and to support an unreal effort.

Thank you
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Bought "NSG05" excellent show, great work. I couldn't get enough of it so I went out and bought "Inside Out " even better, almost enough for a movie marathon.
Open another Boags and press play :D
This is nearly as good as getting wet.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)

Sparrow inside and Out

Post by mark ricketts »

simon
put me down for $40 or more pre-paid, sight unseen, subject unknown.

i can't begin to quantify the pleasure and stoke that the various Sparrow films have provided. If that makes it any easier to juggle kids, and day job and your own recreation - then that is such a small thing for me to give. if you are serious, do we send you the cash now - i'm happy to.

No pressure - but when's the next one?
only kidding. :wink:
wolruss

Sparrow's Inside & Out film available

Post by wolruss »

Fellow kneeboarders,
there seems to be overwelming support for some form of fund or trust fund to enable the talented Simon and crew to keep creating celluloid entertainment for people of our ilk........I thought that sounded rather good.......even made me think I knew what I was talking about for a while.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I don't know if anyone knows the pressure that raising funds for projects like this puts on Simon and his family, but it seems that at best, he hopes to make back the money that he has utilised from the security he is trying to build for his family......what an incredibly understanding wife, he has, that will allow him to follow what is obviously a passion for him to be able to create something for you and me to enjoy.
As most of us would know that as a family grows older, the monetary demand also gets greater and soon that pressure of "making your money back" becomes too great a risk because it's your family's security that we are playing with.
So with that all said, the idea of getting something going like a trust fund or the like seems to be an ideal way of ensuring future films like the ones we all rave about.... I do any way....I love them....no-one wants to mess with my Kneeboard DVD collection....life in your own hands type of decision that!!!!!!
The problems that could occur, though, from sending any monies directly to Simon are mind boggling and as honest as I know Simon to be, he wouldn't want open the gates to that particular stampede. I know that Simon has been touched by every ones support and would like to continue to do what he loves to do....thats filming kneeboarders guys...he can continue to create a larger family on his own time......he has the equipment, the skill, the knowledge and contacts for the post production processes that has made all his past movies a success, it would be ashame to let that be put aside.
So I'd like to ask is there anyone with the knowledge to be able to set up a "trust fund" with all the legal ramifications included to ay least look at trying to get something like this going......a lot of work has to be done, I'd imagine, although we have had plenty of responses in this particular thread, would there be enough raised to ensure a project like this could be funded? Are the legal ramifications....I like that word..... to great with an international effort to fund it? I have absolutely no idea how to go about this, but surely someone does and can comment on its' feasability. That being said, again, I'd love to be a part of the effort - not just sending in my donation - but anything I can do in my small capacity (that's got nothing to do with my profile MALLEE) I would gladly do to ensure that we can at least get another coupla movies outta Simon before he fathers a dozen lovable little rug rats and startson the path to grandfatherhood..ism.

So how did that go down guys, lets hear something constructive to ensure a legacy...or non legacy.....kneeecy..???...what the??that we will all enjoy.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cheers Wolruss
albert

Post by albert »

Great idea Russel!
Peaches
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Sparrow Funding

Post by Peaches »

A trust fund would not be the way to go - expensive to create and talk about legal ramifications!
Two other ideas: in the U.S. you can "gift" up to $11,000 a year to an individual tax free - I don't know what the legalities are in Australia.
The other idea is for Sparrow Production "Company" to write a business plan and bring on a board of directors who would help finance the company...distribution is key here...so a good sales "staff" would be needed - which could be other kbers in their "spare time" (when there is no surf to be found) who want to see the Production Company become a success. R.W. creates great posters -- and Sparrow would need as much advertisement as possible -- so with help from this community -- Sparrow Production Company could take flight! :D How cool would that be?
RT

Post by RT »

The support flowing SF's way after his response to my relatively innocuous comment is incredible! If nothing else, I am glad to have sparked this outpouring of love. I don't believe this kind reaction could have been orchestrated.

Also, all should consider that my original offense is now effectively erased, as I too will soon be the owner of my own copy of Inside Out (sent off a check yesterday). Actually, I intended to buy one of his videos all along, as I don't own any surf videos of any kind. It was just a matter of time.

Also, just a thought. For those considering administering the proposed fundraising effort, consider Radiohead's recent album release model--whereby community members contribute their amount of "comfort." It may (or may not) decrease the dollars per contribution--a minimum contribution would probably be required. On the other hand, this approach could potentially increase the number of supporters and total dollars raised.

Sparrow, keep the faith! The support is obviously there.

RT
albert

Post by albert »

RT wrote:Also, just a thought. For those considering administering the proposed fundraising effort, consider Radiohead's recent album release model--whereby community members contribute their amount of "comfort." It may (or may not) decrease the dollars per contribution--a minimum contribution would probably be required. RT
Having a girlfriend in the music industry I can tell you that there were some problems with the Radiohead model in terms of fundraising. However, it was very innovative what they did and it did serve them very well from a publicity point of view. However from a fundraising perspective they fell way short of what they would have had they sold that album commercially. In either case, its definately worth thinking about. :D
RT

Post by RT »

Albert,
Thanks for sharing the details of the Radiohead experiment. It makes sense given they had no minimum cost. Even with a minimum amount (with the intent to expand the base of "buyers") maybe my idea is not so good for our limited community.
Kauaikneelo

brain storm (or the lack of)

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Just some loose thoughts

What about calling it "sponsors" or "investors" or "donators"? Put the names in the high speed trailers at the end. Kneelo sugar daddies.

Maybe a $20 "sponsorship" and then the cost of a copy is $20 for these "sponsors". or throw in a signed poster or t-shirt.

Auction -ebay style- for a "spot" in the next adventure? Most of us could or would :oops: be deleted in the final cut anyway :lol: :lol:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
mark ricketts

Sparrow's Inside and Out

Post by mark ricketts »

My take on it all is....
don't go the trust route. as has been mentioned, they are a nightmare of their own. i've been inviolved with some in the environment movement and, unless you expect a legal attack or dishonesty by the controllers, they are too much trouble.

the company is great if simon wants to go down that path as a career or parallel career.

the other alternative is simply send an amount to a special bank account that Simon could set up. I don't know simon from the rest of you but i'd be happy to trust him to make good use of my $40. If it results in another great new film, fantastic. if he does a bunk to a secluded reef with the cash, i'm sure Huey would sort him out with extended flat spells and massive close-outs ( i am an old hippy after all!!).

I reckon sitting out a session and filming is a fate worse than death anyway and we owe all photogs big time including George, Robert and Bec. Its interesting in itself how many great photogs that kneeboarding has had - greenough, crawford, romonovsky,.....maybe its all that staring out of barrels.

anyway - i guess its up to simon now to say where he wants to guide this energy.
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

WHY NOT SET IT UP LIKE A CO-OP
EVERY ONE BUYS A SHARE IN IT.
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS