Sparrow's Inside & Out film available!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Johnboy Walton
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Johnboy Walton »

an interesting thread. I was going to throw a comment into the other thread, but I'll get to why I haven't later.

I've been very fortunate to get hold of all of Simon's movies - The Sparrow Has Landed; The Sparrow Has Landed & Friends; Now & Then; NSG 05; and Inside & Out. [although my little bro (RIP) 'lost' the first one on me, prick!]. Given the lack of kneelo action on the screen these have each been a welcome relief from the clones of the stand up world. I can appreciate the sacrifices Simon has made to produce them, and from his post it seems at quite a cost (to be honest I wasn't surprised to hear that). I doubt I'd make those sacrifices.

all of my mates (stand up, lids and non-surfers) have come over for beers and a viewing over the years - all generally have positive things to say (the usual comment from The Sparrow Has Landed & Friends is 'that dude on the black board rips, he's got some f#$king balls on him too').

and ballsy it is to open up those questions. Here are my thoughts (anyones free to shoot me down):
Are the films I make now, not what people want? I think they are what people want and over time they have evolved to be more so.
Have the numbers of kneeboarders declined? Probably not.
Has there been an overdose of films, causing lack of interest? Even if you include the stuff on youtube I'd so no.
Cost? I can't speak for anyone else, but the cost isn't a factor for me.
Maybe, no reason & it is just what it is? Could also be piracy.
(now the sticky question) The who, where & what would you like to see in the film?
In terms of who - I'd like to see Simon, Steen, Albert, Chayne, et al. It would also be interesting to see guys like Parksey, Damien Gaynor, Ross, Nov and a bunch of others on their home turf. Maybe interviews with the surfers (ie. a short conversation with say Albert after footage of him getting pitted at shitties, etc). There are some guys I'm not interested in seeing, but I'll keep that to myself and footage of contests is bit of a turn off.
In terms of where - easy, where ever there is waves. I'm not all that fussed if its perfect indo or some solid action at the local.
In terms of what - interviews with shapers, legends, etc would interesting.
These are only my opinions and some of you know of my thoughts on opinions.

There has been talk of a Co-op or a some sort of fund. Good in theory, but I think in practice it is fraut with problems. There is a reason why hippy communes never really lasted too long - there is rarely equity is such arrangements and not everyone gets what they think they should - something to do with human nature. Eg. people will donate cash, you'll make a movie, some who coughed up will be unhappy and the whinging that follows will do nothing but harm the community. The legal issues related to a fund are a non-event - just get them sorted before you start, although its going to cost which will suck $$ from where they should be going. I'm not a fan of the co-op arrangement and probably wouldn't contribute to one.

I imagine the idea of hitting the Gov for a grant has been investigated? If not it should be. While the Feds are currently being tight arses, in 2009-10 the purse strings will be loosened big time. Simon, I'll PM/email you regarding some options - although might require some arty take on kneeboarding (i think Steeno would look good in drag;)) or a documentary style thing. I'd be more than happy to write a grant application for you.

JB
wolruss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by wolruss »

:D :D Great post Johnboy, very interesting the point of a submission for a grant, I know of a standup club that applied and got a grant and also an offer of further help, financially, for things like transport costs to and from comps, so it seems that might be an avenue worth investigating.
John missed you at pointscore today, I know its a bit of a haul from Canberra, maybe see you at Bendy? Justin Stevens was on the coast and popped up for a look see, will have to introduce you two one day.

Cheers Wolruss
james

Post by james »

Here's another :idea:

Would it be possible for all the usual distributors & surf shops that sell Simon's films to take peoples money and issue everyone who pays for a copy with a credit note, to be exchanged for the new film when it is available.
These distributors/shops would then put in a pre-order with Simon for however many copies they've managed to sell via the credit notes and send him the $$$'s for that number of copies ?

I don't know much about the business side of things, so there's probably a simple reason why this wouldn't work, but it would avoid trusts etc. and keep things simple...
farbz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by farbz »

I finally got this movie .

While watching it I said to my missus ''these guys are hellmen''.

She looked up from her computer to have a look at the tv....it was the part where the camera man was getting interviewed.
She said ...why do all Kneeboarders look the same?.
She then added ..I don't think you can use the word hellmen and kneeboarders in the same sentnce.

...anyway, I enjoyed it.

Bill Lerner is the style master!
farbz

Post by farbz »

oops

Double.
Last edited by farbz on Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hi everyone,
Thanks again to everyone wanting to support my current, previous & future movies. I've been stoked reading these posts & the generosity by many.
I've been thinking of ways to raise funds so as to dilute the final cost of the next movie :shock:
I've been holding onto 2 framed wall mounts from the movie "Now & Then" which I got all the surfers that appeared in the movie to personally sign. People such as Michael Novakov, David Parkes, Baden Smith, Kyle Bryant, Simon Farrer, Neil Luke, Steen Barnes, Gigs Celliers, Albert Munoz, Chayne Simpson & Troy Simpson, Dean Bould, Paul Turtle Mannix, Gavin Lewis.
I have one that I am willing to let go so as to allow anyone that may be interested in bidding for to own. The money that is raised will go towards the cost of finishing the next movie.
At this point I'm 90% confident a destination has been picked for the next movie :wink:
If anyone wishes to make a bid please contact me via PM or e-mail farrer@optusnet.com.au
I've put a picture of the framed memorabilia up on the site as well as on my site www.simonfarrer.com.au
If anyone knows how to put this picture on this post I would appreciate your skill :wink:
Any questions relating to this please feel free to ask away.

Thanks

Simon

the photo is below. Thanks ScottMac
Last edited by Sparrow on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Here it is Simon!

Cheers!
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Hey Simon

REALLY REALLY STOKED that you would like to make another film!!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm sure I speak for alot of Kneelos!!

Can't wait to buy the new one!!

Fredo
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Great news Simon, I agree with AZ re: all kneelos will be stoked. Hope there is some way the powers that be, can get something going with the pay up front scheme so we can get you up and going on the next movie as soon as possible.......we're hard task masters, we're going to work you to the bone you know..
Here's to you Simon and your lovely and supportive family.

Cheers Wolruss
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Thanks Scott :wink:

I dont get how to do it :roll:

Alfredo & Wolruss

Thanks guys.

The next movie is still along time away! but it will happen :wink:
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Well I finally sent my order off, hmm, let's see...... 53 hours, eight minutes and thirteen seconds ago.

The popcorn maker should be arriving at lunch time, the new sofa with the inbuilt speakers sometime this afternoon - and will have the phone disconnected for several hours as soon as my little package arrives....

Thanks for the hard work Simon.

Gee why did I wait so long I must have had some sort of brain damage ;)
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hey Headwax,
The postman just delivered your order to me 10mins ago. :wink:
Cheers mate. Its in the mail today.

Simon
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Thanks for the quick service Simon. :)

I forgot to mention the electric beer bottle opener .....
Headwax.

Service with a smile.

Post by Headwax. »

Small update.

Now that's service!

Face covered so lens doesnt crack :)
Kev

Post by Kev »

good news to hear that Simon is considering another movie and has a possible location in mind

when I spoke to him at the PI classic he was a bit jadded and tired from too much movie stuff
editing is very time consuming

keep the encouragement flowing and all that pain will be forgotten

does the next movie have a working title yet ??
8)