Sparrow's Inside & Out film available!

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

I've created a few noonprofit organizations and clubs over the years and have had to deal with trusts and various other funds. Its a multi headed snake that is sure to come back and bite you square on the a#*.

If Sparrow has the time to do another film, then he will find a way. One way the KB community could pitch in is to pick up his and/or his family's tab for his next shooting vacation.

Otherwise, we'll buy his DVDs gladly.

Maybe some other KB members can collaborate on a DVD. We have a lot of shooters on this site. Shoot- submit, then have Sparrow edit (wow, now there's a thankless job).
kbing since plywood days
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

I'm really stoked to see the massive response of gratitude/praise to Mr. Simons work. He deserves it!

Notwithstanding all of the above, maybe we should see if he is even remotely interested in all this talk.

Does anyone know?

Just a thought. . .
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

IMHO,

I'd say let him rest! Enjoy life...

Projects take a toll.

Great ideas, and one is sure to stick.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Hi Alfredo :wink:
I have been monitoring this thread like it was my baby, which in a way i feel it is & have been humbled by the support from our extended family.
Without mentioning names the generosity of putting money up front for another movie is a huge motivation for me to do another some where down the not too far distant future.
Some who have spoken to me in general conversation may have picked up that i may not do another film which was a real consideration by me due to changing times within our sport. Times have changed since this family came together (thanks to Don & this site) from around the globe, the interest to see what was being done by others & the craft which they rode was exciting especially for those who had not travelled overseas & stumbled across what seemed to be like lost tribes with ways of there own passed on by generations of local traditions.
It was a frenzy for information from all & the best way I could contribute was do something i had no experience in but was self motivated to put forward kneeboarding as best i could in the form of film.
So, over time we have come to know many things about our sport, equipment, styles, personalities :!: shapers openly sharing their knowledge, motivational media in ways such as film & photos, international comps & gatherings, etc, etc.
I believe over time we have come to a point that information has been gained, soaked up, manipulated to help everyones personal needs, pondered upon, experimented, revisited, citiscised & supported to the finest grain.
From my perspective in putting films out over the past 15 years I have seen this amazing support from the days of "The Sparrow Has Landed" through to "The Sparrow Has Landed & Friends" then to the next stage of films on DVD to suit the times. "Now & Then" to "NSG 05" & "Inside & Out"
I know that these films have changed many peoples out looks to surfing & life. The feedback has been my motivation to keep going.
Over the past 3 films ive noticed a downward trend in numbers of customers to the point of struggling to pay the production bills.
Though the numbers may have declined the support has never been stonger with those who voice there opinions to me similar to what has happened on this forum.
In saying that the numbers have declined, Ive tryed to figure factors that have caused this,
Are the films I make now, not what people want?
Have the numbers of kneeboarders declined?
Has there been an overdose of films, causing lack of interest?
Cost?
Maybe, no reason & it is just what it is?

There are so many factors that come into play when making these films & the experience gained has been enormous, but that said I have to be careful financially as like most people here I have my own priorities to family, morgages, work, raising of 3 young children, surfing & attempting stress free living :roll: :lol:

Maybe i need to take a different approach to all this & instead of me making all the decisions of where to go & who to have in it maybe you guys & girls could tell me what you would like!
Before anyone posts places & people, consider the cost for the person to travel & availability of time away from work & family commitments as these are real issues that have to be faced & will fall flat on its face if it is over looked.
It has been put forward to me that my choices of surfers have been very one sided as far as styles go, so I am open to you "the people" choice of surfers for the next film.
The who, where & what would you like to see in the film?

Cheers

Simon
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Support!!!!

Post by frankfqr »

Glad to hear your interested Simon!!! 8) 8) I've got all your films except for the first, "Sparrow has landed". The technology is there for a re-release on CD format, and there should be some techies around to pull it off, money in the bank? Little effort? As for future efforts---a fund sounds great to help fray the cost on your end. Different styles?, you say; I thought that was something we only bantered about in Cali? Aussie issue too? Anyway, THANKS for your efforts, much admired and appreciated....Frank.
albert

Post by albert »

Simon,

Maybe your post should be its own thread? It will certainly get more of people's attention that way IMHO.
skansand

Post by skansand »

the movie gets better and better everytime i watch it simon....i really enjoyed the extras with every surfer getting their own section...

your surfing is just amazing man, pushing every turn to the limit, and past!!

the helmet cam footage has all my friends and myself squirming in our seats...gives me an adrenaline rush... :D
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
jdkneelo

Post by jdkneelo »

Mate i,ve got all the above mentioned films and the amount of stoke i get out of watching each one ,40 bills seems real cheap to me I,ll buy into the trust fund no worries. GEES IM SICK OF THIS QUICKKY PRO.
Jack Beresford

Post by Jack Beresford »

Simon - it puzzles me why sales of your videos might be declining, the quality certainly seems to get better and better! Perhaps with the Web and You Tube there's more saturation of media - I don't know.

Regardless, I hope you continue to pursue these projects as they - along with this Web site - have been the single most important forces in moving the sport forward and spreading the stoke! However, it would be totally understood if you decided to focus your energy in other areas - including your family. No single person should be expected to carry the load themselves for so long (Don - are you listening). You could have easily rested on your four world titles and said "I've done enough." But instead you really took it to the next level with these projects and in doing so brought a lot of people together - kudos!

It would be great to see others pick up the ball and run with it. We've got a sport that's rich with talented people and great character, stoke and spirit. This might be your wake up call!

Jack
(another satisfied customer)
albert

Post by albert »

Sparrow wrote: The who, where & what would you like to see in the film?
Simon
Is anyone going to take a stab at this?
MALLEE BULL

Post by MALLEE BULL »

HE CAN USE ME FOR THE BLOOPER SECTION :lol: :lol:
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
mark ricketts
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Sparrow - inside and Out

Post by mark ricketts »

no advice from me on content - i've got all your films and dig them all.

the interviews on NSG are wonderful (particularly mad barry and bud) but my stand-up friends get bored - they just don't get it!!!

i'd be interested in hearing the top shapers in discussion but i reckon that's an even smaller audience!!!

at the end of the day, just go with what gets your rocks off cause that's the only thing that will keep you doing it.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Simon - it puzzles me why sales of your videos might be declining, the quality certainly seems to get better and better! Perhaps with the Web and You Tube there's more saturation of media - I don't know.

Regardless, I hope you continue to pursue these projects as they - along with this Web site - have been the single most important forces in moving the sport forward and spreading the stoke! However, it would be totally understood if you decided to focus your energy in other areas - including your family. No single person should be expected to carry the load themselves for so long (Don - are you listening). You could have easily rested on your four world titles and said "I've done enough." But instead you really took it to the next level with these projects and in doing so brought a lot of people together - kudos!

It would be great to see others pick up the ball and run with it. We've got a sport that's rich with talented people and great character, stoke and spirit. This might be your wake up call!
I think Jack said it most thoughtfully. I agree with all of it!
Nov

Post by Nov »

I loved Inside and Out, especially the bonus sections. I'd put $40 down for another one in a heartbeat.
halbs

Simon's next DVD

Post by halbs »

Simon you know where I think your next DVD should be filmed and I have given the skipper an indication that one day he may be overrun by kneelos!! As I stated earlier your films need no improvement and to hear that your sales are down are surprising, and disappointing.

Come over for a desert adventure and we can have some solo waves, I may have to move my family into protective custody but willing to to support the cause!! Or we can do some tow ins for something out there.

As for who is in the film, any of you guys that are pushing the boundaries of kneeling would suit me fine!!

All of my support whenever, whereever you need it.
getting there is often as good as getting there