Environmentally Friendly Wax

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

bdwqld
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Environmentally Friendly Wax

Post by bdwqld »

I found some Treehugger Wax on ebay and out of curiosity I bought some. It is a very good wax, reasonably priced about AU $3.00 per block including postage. Number one it is an environmentally friendly wax made from bees wax and coconut oil.
This is a quote from their website
"And then there’s the wax. A typical surfboard wax recipe consists of about 70% Paraffin Wax which is one of the first by-products of crude oil. The next ingredient is Petroleum Jelly and then Microcrystalline Wax. Both are derivatives of crude oil. Then, depending on the brand, comes a mix of synthetic rubbers, glues and resins followed by some synthetic dyes and chemical scents. All of this is usually wrapped in plastic – another petroleum product."
To find out more www.treehuggerwax.com . Every little bit helps.
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Mark Ramirez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I bought some of that wax on ebay also. It's good wax, and it works just as good as the other waxes that I've bought over 42 years! I just want to do my part for the enviroment. _____Mark.
Kauaikneelo

Post by Kauaikneelo »

What should we ride? :shock:
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

kind of silly.
what are they going to do with the petroleum by-products if they don't make them into wax? bury them in a landfill?
is'nt using something thats already there more environmentally sound than digging up some new organic method that....by the way will probably require machinery of some sort that will no doubt require a petroleum product which will of course lead to more petroleum by products????
and...like the King of Atooi said. (sort of) the craft we ride imparts a huge negative carbon footprint so using so called "environmentally friendly" wax is akin to ordering a diet coke with your super-sized fat and calorie laden happy meal.
i'm curious......
did a big ole Fed-Ex truck deliver your one bar of wax?
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
worldsurfradio
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by worldsurfradio »

I make my own wax, bees wax, pine resin and coconut oil
kneemor

green wax

Post by kneemor »

While you are on the topic. I am at a energy conference in Boulder discussing ways to limit our carbon footprint.

Another wax that i have used is Matunas http://www.matunasco.com/
Very sticky!!!!
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Maybe wax derived from coconuts or bees is a bit more friendly than the alternative when it sheds into the ocean.

If it's ok then why not consider it, save the petrochemicals for products which are harder to synthesise from crops.
Shelfbreak
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Smokin Rock wrote
i'm curious......
did a big ole Fed-Ex truck deliver your one bar of wax?
No my 6 bars of wax packed in in recycled packaging, came via conventional post on a honda 90 step thru. ':lol:'
Coconut oil is extracted using heat and pressure, bees wax made by insects does require some heat to extract it. I guess there is also energy required to mix the two products and pour it into moulds. Is this the same amount of energy required to extract and refine crude oil?
I guess we could all use the attitude of "our craft having a huge negative carbon footprint" to go out and buy monster trucks that drain every fuel stop they pass to carry one little man and his board.
Yes your honour I am guilty of owning carbon negative crafts and owning a carbon producing mode of transport ':shock:' anything that can offset that, is bad?
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

Also bought some recently, not too bad.
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

BDW,
i'm just being a internet ASSh%le. it's one of the few things i can do that does'nt leave a huge carbon footprint. my little contribution to the world. :twisted:
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Hi Smokin Rock I should have read your profile before getting hot under the collar. I realised after I replied that you were having a lend.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

:lol: 8)
john -

Post by john - »

given the average age of kneelos treehuggen is probably more satisfying than Mrs Palmers anyway :P
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

But I wouldn't mind having a go at Mrs. Palmers daughters......lol

Reducing our impact in just small steps adds up. I've worked in the environmental field (pun intended) since 1971 and have always been mindful that most of my daily life and recreation is carbon based. I grew up around racing boats but, as I got older, couldn't justifiy blowing unburnt 2 stroke gas/oil into our waters nor the noise.

I've cherished each and every surfboard I've owned, keeping them in good order and not using them up and discarding them like sticks of gum.
I've also limited my driving looking for surf. I live mid way between Pleasure Point and the beaches and can walk to my local beach even though its not always the best break during the majority of the year.

Everything helps and a wax formula is no exception.
kbing since plywood days
fooj

Post by fooj »

I'm trying to figure out a way to hold my farts in being that methane is a greenhouse gas and all. It starts to get uncomfortable after a while, then it really starts to hurt and I've got to let it go. Oh well. I wonder if bubbling it through seawater captures some of it? Anything to help.
bongbong