SCSC Inductees... Dan?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

SCSC Inductees... Dan?

Post by SFKneelo »

I'm guessing this is you, Surfhorn... congratulations!

Santa Cruz Surfing Club Inducts New Members
The Santa Cruz Surfing Club (SCSC) is proud to announce the induction of new members. Founded in 1936, the remaining 11 members of the original 27 surfers want to see the preservation of Santa Cruz's surfing heritage, support of the Surfing Museum and other charitable work of the SCSC carried on.

This adventurous group of surfers first braved the cold water waves prior to World War II, 25 years before the creation of the wetsuit, riding waves on 100-pound wooden planks. These ladies and gentlemen have been the leaders of the surfing community in Santa Cruz County for the past 71 years.

The members of the SCSC served on the committee which created the Santa Cruz Surfing Museum and were the driving force that created one of Santa Cruz's most recognizable icons: the Surfing Statue on West Cliff Drive.

The surfing pioneers of the SCSC meet weekly at the Surfing Museum where they have also served as docents to well over one million visitors since the facility opened on Memorial weekend in 1986. The SCSC contributes financial support to worthy surf-related events and projects.

The torch has been passed to the next generation of the surfing community. Surfers who have served the community as board members for a variety of surfing organizations including the Surfrider Foundation, Santa Cruz Surfing Museum, Santa Cruz Longboard Union, Surfers Medical Association, Big Stick Surfing Association, Ride-A-Wave Foundation and the Westside Longboard Coalition were chosen for their commitment to preserving surfing history. The SCSC has handed the future of surfing in Santa Cruz County over to this new crew.

At a meeting in August of this year, new members installed into the SCSC were Dave Dyc, Pat Farley, Jon Foster, Joe Grassi, Tom Hickenbottom, Boots McGhee, Pete Noble, Matt Micuda, Pete Ogilvie, Johnny Rice, Rosemari Rice, Ward Smith, Kim Stoner, and Dan Young.
surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by surfhorn »

Yep. I've been roped into another nonprofit endeavor. lol

But there is more than meets the eye which I can't devulge at the moment .....of a legal nature. I'm trying to help the remaining old guys who started the SCSC in 1936 with a serious problem; the press release is just a tool towards those ends. Besides legal stategy, my job is to sell it in the court of public opinion.

Another project I'm brewing that is going to really cause turmoil in this town is constructing a new surfing musem and natural history museum in one new building right across the street in Lighthouse Field. It would be two story w/basement (state-of-the-art archieval storage) in the Victorian style of the Santa Cruz lightouse of the 1890's. The current lighthouse is undermined with seacaves and has about 10-15 years left.....if we're lucky.

I've been talking with the Director of the State Parks Department re: to purchase the field from the state for $1M. Since its zoned against development, we're hoping the $1M will work. I think I can get the lighthouse in there (a federal installation) since parking lots and a brand new bathroom are already in place. I also have sketched up a fenced, free run dog park in one corner based on the park in Santa Monica - one side for small dogs; the other for large- (to deal with the wildlife troubles of off-leash dogs on Its Beach) and let the rest of the property stand as a native biota reserve/gene bank.

But the best thing.............

I can design a kneeboarding history wing!
kbing since plywood days
T Hall
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by T Hall »

Hey Dan,
Congrats on your induction. The kneeboarding archive section sounds cool. If it ever comes down to it contact me about that. I have a complete collection of Surfer magazine that may be useful in getting some old kneeboarding photos and articles in addition to what you guys up there might already have on hand.
Small today but here comes some swell before the weekend. Later,
T Hall.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Thanx, Tom. We started the museum in 1985 and opened in 1986. But at 900 square feet, very little room for storage. THe Natural History Museum has had to turn down some kiiler donations due to space limitations. A real shame.

So, I guess its no fluke that the SCSC thing, the purchase of Lighthouse Field and other projects are all hitting at the same time. Will keep you posted.
kbing since plywood days