So. Swell Pics to Surfline?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

So. Swell Pics to Surfline?

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

Did anyone think of making a collaborative effort to get a portfolio of south-swell kneeboard photos on surfline? Just wondering. If people were to pool their best photography, and try to sell it to surfline for one of those feature galleries, maybe they would bite! Its just a thought. I don't have any myself (I missed the whole swell--I'm in your boat, Mike Fernandez!) but I think it might be a good idea for promotion + cash.

--marc bockman
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

I boycott Pimpline.
PaulN
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by PaulN »

ScottMac wrote:I boycott Pimpline.
Fuvk surfline
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hmmmm, I know what you guys are saying about pimpline, but if you can make some cash, and promote ourselves, sweet! I am not sure surfline pays for pics. I made some nice money from Surfer Mag on the Indo trip, but haven't looked into Surfline.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
stemple

Post by stemple »

well say what you will about surfline but i use it all the time for spots all over the state. The advanced features are very good and I have found it to be very accurate. It nailed a baja forecast as well nailing conditions up and down the state over the last six months. You may hate it but I use it to my advantage, boycott away my friends.
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

stemple wrote:well say what you will about surfline but i use it all the time for spots all over the state. The advanced features are very good and I have found it to be very accurate. It nailed a baja forecast as well nailing conditions up and down the state over the last six months. You may hate it but I use it to my advantage, boycott away my friends.
With a modicum of intelligence and tools that are freely available you can get all of the same information that is on Surfline, and more. Plus you are not contributing to an entity that is a huge factor our crowded breaks and closes down Mexican surf spots in the name of charity. Also-did you know that Sean Collins wants to turn Scorpion Bay into a private gated community?

You vote with your dollar.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

$85 a year to be able to plan my meetings and my work week to allow for at least a relatively consistent surf schedule is well worth it. I use it to make my everyday life better - not to plan vacations or whatever.

If people allow their spots or themselves to be bought - then that is their issue. Who are we to say what is right for Scorpion or Barras or wherever?
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

Jimbo wrote:$85 a year to be able to plan my meetings and my work week to allow for at least a relatively consistent surf schedule is well worth it. I use it to make my everyday life better - not to plan vacations or whatever.

Again, you are just being lazy-paying for info that you can get free just because its in a convenient package. But that is your decision. I'm not picking on you in particular but this is a big part of the problem. Everybody is like you, they work and pay for surfline. When sufline hypes a swell you and everybody else is in the water because it told you to be. No one even has to make an effort to go and see if there are waves. They just look at the screen from the office, throw the longboard in the Tahoe, and get their weekly session in, impressing their office mates who all golf. Its just too easy.
Jimbo wrote: If people allow their spots or themselves to be bought - then that is their issue. Who are we to say what is right for Scorpion or Barras or wherever?
I don't know. But its pretty safe to say that what is best for those spots is not determined by some fat douchebag gringo from Seal Beach. WE are not saying what is right for those spots-he is.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I use http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/ ... yland.html
Seems to be accurate for me. I need accuracy because I drive at least three hours one way to surf. It's free, and I like the easy to read graphic chart. That chart changes often, what it shows right now, might change in a few hours. I don't need a video camera on the beach.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Lazy? When it comes to surf guilty as charged!!! Convenient package?? So what difference does that make? Should I look around for things that are more difficult just because? That makes no sense. I am in the water when the surf is good and I can be in the water - as for everyone else I have no idea. Surfline doesn't tell me when to be in the water (or not be in the water) just helps me to plan ahead. I don't live across the street from the beach anymore and it is actually important to me to support my family so I will use whatever I can to help me get waves when I have the chance - sorry if that irritates you - I don't mean to irritate anyone - just want to surf. Hey - if I could save the money and just check the surf every day as my number one priority I would.

True what is best for those spots is not determined by a fat douchebag gringo from SBeach - the folks down there can always say no. They are the ones making the choice to allow this stuff to happen.
stemple

Post by stemple »

Blah blah would you like cheese with your whine.

I agree with Jimbo. Surfline helps me plan and because of its data and interface saves me time and is more detailed then the government websites. which I also check. A college education works you know.

Surfline's near shore swell models are the best and to my knowledge are pretty darn accurate. Spend a bit a time really looking at them and you realize how darn accurate they are. It helps me score good surf up and down the state. If you don't like it tough ta ta's it works and its out there and I am going to use it. So get use it because when its going off I am going to know it and show up at your local.

Oh by the way if hate surfline you must be really be disgusted by google earth which actually shows the trail to fuller's, but hey thats a secret so be quiet.
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

stemple wrote:Blah blah would you like cheese with your whine.

I agree with Jimbo. Surfline helps me plan and because of its data and interface saves me time and is more detailed then the government websites. which I also check. A college education works you know.

Surfline's near shore swell models are the best and to my knowledge are pretty darn accurate. Spend a bit a time really looking at them and you realize how darn accurate they are. It helps me score good surf up and down the state. If you don't like it tough ta ta's it works and its out there and I am going to use it. So get use it because when its going off I am going to know it and show up at your local.

Oh by the way if hate surfline you must be really be disgusted by google earth which actually shows the trail to fuller's, but hey thats a secret so be quiet.

That's nice. :roll: This has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Correct me if I am wrong but did you just brag of having a college education then follow it with the above abortion of a post?
stemple wrote: So get use it because when its going off I am going to know it and show up at your local.
Makes no sense.
stemple wrote:Surfline helps me plan and because of its data and interface saves me time and is more detailed then the government websites. which I also check.
Good sentence structure. And to those that say its dumb to nitpick grammar on a message board, please remember that Stemple brags of having a "college education".
stemple wrote:Oh by the way if hate surfline you must be really be disgusted by google earth which actually shows the trail to fuller's, but hey thats a secret so be quiet.
Great argument. Google earth does not send kooks an e-mail reminder to surf my spot when its firing. Nor does it have live cams, or douchebag owners with a singular goal of selling out surfing. Really there is no comparison between the two. Are you a proud graduate of the University of Phoenix?
:lol:
stemple wrote:Blah blah would you like cheese with your whine.
No, I am lactose intolerant.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!
stemple

Post by stemple »

hey Paul,

I didn't want to start a cyber fight just little too much, while watching the Rockies embarrass the National League. Low blow though against my alma mater' it hurts man :(

On pondering your statements I decided to think about rejecting my surfline subscription, as well as never visiting the following websites for information;
wetsand
surfpulse
storm surf
wave watch
wanna surf
magic seaweed, or any others I might find;

never again will I call any of the numerous recorded surf reports that are updated every 3 hours'

I will never get a web enabled cell phone

and finally when I see a guy checking the surf with a cell phone to his ear I vow to slap it away, and smash it before he can call his three friends sitting on the couch playing video games.

Amen brother

PPs. Maybe you can beat Sean Collins to the punch

http://www.scorpionbayrealestate.com/
PaulN

Post by PaulN »

stemple wrote: and finally when I see a guy checking the surf with a cell phone to his ear I vow to slap it away, and smash it before he can call his three friends sitting on the couch playing video games.
I usually kill them, but do whatever works for you.
SCRUB IT KOOK!!!