Governor Endorses Trestles Road

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

gene west
Legend (Contribution King!)

arnie

Post by gene west »

what a joke, this state is full of sheep and morons who elected an actor to govern the fifth largest economy on the planet-payback for the cult of personality...O.C. is an over crowded ,overated ,cesspool of narrowminded republicans, only into themselves and $$$$$.....fuk em'!!! I along with my other EARTH FIRST ! amigos tried to get that last toll road stopped in O.C. -thru some of the last open, natural habitat with several endangered species and we'll be on the front lines again...so get off your asses kooks....write your senators, the coastal commission, your congressperson, sign the petitions, blockade the roads, get out in the streets, etc....or watch as the monied interests take what's left!!!!!
geno
gene west

Post by gene west »

that's General Dick to you Tee, aren't you late for church?
geno
MALLEE BULL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by MALLEE BULL »

EASY FIXED :idea:
VOTE HIM OUT :twisted:
LOVE FIXING UP OLD BOARDS
AND STAINED GLASS WINDOWS
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Nice paid announcement on YouTube.

There are issues other than wreaking a surf break. Its increased access (which opens previously undeveloped area to housing/commerical development, putting a road through sensitive habitat and the fact that toll roads are elitist.

I've worked in the enviro field on and off since 1971 and recently I've found that scientists that I've known for years have, more and more, become consultants for development interests. You give me a data set (and enough $) and I can skew that data to come up with whatever result you want.

It looks like money calls the tune these days.
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Once there's a road, the whole valley is opened up to development. I've seen it happen over and over again in Orange County over the last 40 years. Maybe it'll get developed anyway, but the road isn't going to help slow down that possibility.

Plus no matter how environmentally friendly the construction is, fact is roads are major sources of pollution - exhaust and particulate matter from vehicles, potentials for spills, all that stuff goes into the watershed and downstream straight into Trestles. If nothing else the toll road will alter the landscape of the valley forever.

(ps, I didn't watch the video, but agree with Surfhorn about scientists being recruited by developers)
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

What Dave said was true - but it was only addressing one small issue- and even that left out other mitgating items: migration of alluvium and cobblestones that will be affected when pavement/channelization is introduced...the difference between natural runoff in a stream bed and a focused fire hose. The most threat is from chemical pollution.

Roads produce pertrochemical residue runoff, asbestos dust from brakes and noise and light pollution that negatively impact wildlife- including humans. Put a road through anywhere and, at each off ramp, condos, track homes and strip malls sprout like mushrooms in a pile of cow dung.

Where does it end? When is enough enough?

There are only 6 actual founding members of Surfrider and, of those, only 3 of us had nonprofit adminstration and science backgrounds. Skelly was one of the first to work with us but he wasn't a founder:

Tom Pratte
Glenn Hening
Steve Merrill
Lance Carson
Kiki Maverick
myself
kbing since plywood days
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

I hate to throw myself under the bus but I am all for this. My reasons are self centered; the toll road provides me with a direct route from the beach to within 2 blocks from work. I currently use the 241 toll road everyday when not commuting by train. The only bad part of my commute will be removed and it will be shortened 10-15 minutes; more surf time.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'll take a look, Beeline. But history has a tendancy to take the turn of the person writing that history.
kbing since plywood days
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I've seen that article. Glenn had his heart in the right place even though his chronology is a bit out of whack.

Prior to Surfrider's founding, I had been working with Tom Pratte for well over a year towards creating a stand-alone enviro group that dealt solely with surfing issues- along the lines of the Sierra Club or The Nature Conservancy (whom I had worked for). This was put into high gear when the State Parks breached the berm at Malibu's Surfrider Beach during low tide - and sent a hydrolic jet of water which blew apart the cobble reef at First Peak. At that time, Tom was the exec director of the enviro branch of the Western Surfing Asscoc. (which I created in May of 1976). My brother-in-law, Tim McFlynn, and I had just founded the Public Justice Foundation in Santa Monica dealing with youth justice and the treatment of the mentally ill by the LAPD and LA Sheriff. I used the legal leverage of the PJF to take on State Parks/Malibu issue.

The same incident at Malibu also sparked Glenn to work towards an enviro group. Sometime after that we joined forces to create the Surfrider Foundation. As always, there is power in numbers.

Another inaccuracy in that article is that I brought Chris Blakely into SF. I sublet him an office in the PJF suite (2 blocks off the beach) and Chris and I became close friends: fellow Eagle Scouts; body surfers; musicians. Many 2 hour lunches surfing Navy Street. For one birthday he bought me a membership at the Beverly Hills Gun Club.....do I have stories about that place.

History all depends on who is writing it at the moment. That is why I've kept my Attorney's Daybooks and files since 1980. Nothing like a paper trail.
kbing since plywood days
randiego

Post by randiego »

Dan, you were an Eagle Scout? Starting Surfrider and all, that's something, but being an Eagle Scout is REALLY impressive. :lol: :lol:

J/K. Sorry for that - my Dad's a muckety-muck in the local BSA. I never made it past 2nd class or whatever.

Rob - thanks for posting that history - really interesting, if a little inaccurate.

I've been a SF member for a several years, planning on being at that Feb 6 hearing!
KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KevinJFina »

oh wow i too twas an Eagle Scout .....so cool that a few kneeboarders have this honor in this wonderful organization....it all makes sense Dan,when we doing another go out ???? when you are down doin' the granpa thing ping me....
Peace,
Kevin
KevinJFina

Post by KevinJFina »

whoops double post but i did sign the petitiion
(stop the highway from hell) while in SD this weekend ...sad when politics and money get in the way of quality of life and the cost is our kids opportunity to have access to open spaces not to mention how it will perhaps wreck the natural flow of the formantion of those somewhat critical sediment formations that trestles may lose forever.
Peace and hope,
Kevin
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hey, Kevin- Probably will be down during spring break to visit my daughters and grandson. Will also being doing a bit of house restoration on my surfing buddy's house in Corral Canyon; his was the only one left standing of 8 houses in his area after the fire.

Yeah, Scouts gave me a lot of life tools. Spent a lot of time backpacking, camping, fishing, etc. We had cool leaders who were outdoorsmen and gave us a lot of freedom and opportunities. My son is also an Eagle from our troop.

Those skills really came in handy when I started surfing and traveling to Baja in the early 1970's; we always had the killer, comfy camp sites. And being held at gunpoint by the Federales and talking my way out of the situation.
I can still talk a surley Sewer Peak crowd into a catatonic state and then I can pick off the set waves. lol
kbing since plywood days