Barrel riding tips

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Barrel riding tips

Post by stemple »

I want to be a better barrel rider. Most of my barrels are by way of pure luck and not overt skill. I want to up the barrel count. I would like to glean some tips for some of the masters who frequent this site. Its seems to me there several components to catching, riding, and enjoying a clean behind the curtain ride.

I think I can break down the basic components:

1. The take off
2. The set up
3. Maintaining speed
4. Finding the clean line, and
5. The exit

SEEMS EASY BUT IT ISN'T

Lately for me its seems that I can't get all of the components to work at the same time. The take off I think is the easiest. in most cases you want to take off as late a possible and start in a down line position. After that the subtleties become way more pronounced. Have a couple of questions just to start things off.

1. As you watch the wave lip throw does the shape of tube determine how to appropriately set it. It seems there are two ways to get in it. first the highline. Does this work better for more almond shaped barrels that have a bit less vertical shape to them?. There is also the bottom turn stall technique, when does this work when does it not? I noticed in Hawaii alot guys enter the barrel from the bottom up not the top down. I usually just get creamed or I can't maintain enough speed then section shuts me down.

2. Speed lines. It seems the most success I get is when I stay high and drop down as I enter the barrel which gives me a bit more speed to make the throwing section. Does any else try that?

My problems are many but it seems my main issue is that I need a bit of advice on how to match the appropriate techniques to the type of wave/barrel. Anyways I just thought I would open it up for discussion because I need some help.
fooj

Post by fooj »

First, I suck and almost never make it out of barrels.

Second, I almost always grab my rail and place my other hand on the deck.

Third, no matter how big or small the barrel is, I always think of it as threading the eye of a needle. Precision is your friend.

Fourth, the best barrels I've made always start from the bottom up, then down (not too far down) then up then down...exiting on the up. I aim for the upper part of the exit not the middle of it. If that makes sense.

Fifth, yes Hawai'i Nei is the land of the big bottom turn. This is more out of necessity than by choice. There is a lot of water to outrun in these parts.

Sixth, do many people make it out of barrels in your infamous stretch of beach anyway? Maybe you should cut yourself some slack. I've surfed there a few times and have never even come close to making it out of one, but then see my first point.

Seventh, taking off those jack boots may help
:lol:
bongbong
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Remember, they're $hitkickers now! :lol:

For this subject, I recommend watching My Eyes won't Dry, version whateva... and the latest creation from Simon.

Also, kinda what Fooj is saying, the wave is important too! A wave like Bingin, for example...

That aside, nice round and open topic!
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Nice thread!
All of the aforementioned points are GOOD.
Board makes a big difference as Bee mentioned.
My Blast "Fishy" non wide tailed quad just wants the tube.
But something I might add that seems really important to me is being able to read waves well.
You need to really be in tune to where the wave is going to barrel and put yourself in that position with enough speed.all in a split second at takeoff!
Easier said than done as it takes constant feedback in your brain as your adrenaline is pumping.I find that I make the opposite mistake often of thinking a wave is going to be "barrelly" and I'm kinda stalling and just angling and it doosn't really happen and ride over when I coul'dve been rollercoasting that baby down the line.
This is more valid at a spot like I surf where only occasional waves barrel.
When your at a spot that is just a barrel wave it gets alot easier because you know ahead of time what its all about.
Then I think its all about the takeoff.
Comment from the peanut gallery for all its worth. :wink:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

For me, kneeboarding has always been about riding deep. And speed is the key.

If nothing else, work on popping up quickly and pumping your board. You will probably find yourself way out in the flats more times than not. But at least your ability to quickly pump your board and gain speed will improve. Adding that trick to your bag will benefit your tube riding.

Board width is also a factor. My barrel board is 5'8"x22.5", nose is 16.5", double wing swallow (tri or quad). I ride a 6'0" 23.5 5 fin with a 17.5 nose for flatter faces - the longboard of KBs. And then there is a big wave KB.

The correct tool for the right wave.
kbing since plywood days
Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

Another thing is you need to be prepared to adjust your height for the tube (and keep adjusting it while you are in it), if you start trimming higher you need to crouch a lot lower.

I find holding my hand in the wave really helps to get a sense of the tube. Also, as I don't grab my rail when in the tube, doing that also helps me balance and helps hold me in the wave.
I've finally stopped grabbing my rail in backhand barrels for the most part- getting the weighting right took a lot of practice.
jdc

Post by jdc »

just had a squizz neil lukes website

he offers a 23' and 23.5 wide as his tube riding machines (amongst other shapes)

the narrow short board seems suited to speed/tube only waves, yes/no?

i dont mind a tube ride but give 4 reos in a row :twisted:

best tube rider i ever saw always went up the wall and came down with but under the curtain. speeeeed mooove
i like surfing
K-man

Post by K-man »

One feature I noticed in many barrel shots[note barry in todays pic]The riders[going left for instance]body is turned at an angle,facing the wave,and the legs are slightly off, or on the edge of the outside rail.
Nov

Re: post

Post by Nov »

K-man wrote:One feature I noticed in many barrel shots[note barry in todays pic]The riders[going left for instance]body is turned at an angle,facing the wave,and the legs are slightly off, or on the edge of the outside rail.
Barry looks like a goofy-foot (knee?) that's probably why he faces into the wave on lefts.
red

Post by red »

Read tips somewhere from Slater (maybe the "surf better" publication by Surfer Mag a couple years ago?
3 possible lines to take:
1) enter low, exit high
2) thread the needle
3) enter high exit low
Key for all of them it to watch that little glimmer of light and head towards it (whether it's up, down or along).

My tube riding improved the day I let go of my outside rail. Holding your rail just freezes you in one position. Use that arm to point at the exit.

Use your inside hand in the face to control speed. Can stay within the curl a long way using this technique.

A lot depends on your board. If the rocker is too flat in the tail, then the board is always going to get sucked up the face - you lose too much speed trying to trim lower to overcome this and invariably end up being eaten by the foam ball. With good rocker you have total control and confidence. After years of boards that were patchy tube riders, my current boards provide unbelievable control in the barrel. Well I guess that's what a test regime is all about!
wino

Post by wino »

I close my eyes. :wink:

Seriously, the best way to learn how to ride the tube is to find a good hollow closed out beach break and keep pulling in and setting your edge. After awhile you will start going further and futher in those close outs. Once you can go real far in closeouts go to a place that is hollow and has shape and pull in keep your eyes open and on the opening and you may just start making a few.

Now if anyone can give me some advise on how to get my 7 1/2 yo to put his dirty dishes in the sink without being reminded there might be a sixer in it for you. 8)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barry

tubes

Post by barry »

My opinion is most every spot needs a slightly different approach.
to me it usually starts with reading the wave before you catch it to be positioned properly, then you decide either to draw out a bottom turn to put yourself into the pocket or maybe do the midface stall (like scotts pic)
I do sometimes adjust my knee positioning to be more frontside or backside but that is more for reasons of how I want to come off the top not get into the tube.
If you look at the pic closely my knees are fairly straight across I just have my upper body turned to face the wave.
also no flipper is needed for the foot drag, you can spot Simon and others dipping their toe (or foot) depending on how much speed they feel like dropping :wink:
then after you get in you want to match the speed of the wave so you can stay in longer.... speed up by applying pressure on the accelerator then slow down by dragging your arm or whatever body part you can that will slow you down to the appropriate speed to maximize your time in the shade.
barry

tubes

Post by barry »

forgot to mention you normally end up going where you are looking...
so stay focused on the exit :idea:
that way you can try to stay in but not to deep also helps to prevent premature exits :oops: :lol:
my tube riding improved after a session at oz pipe with Tim Gordon in 96
Tim was making nearly every barrel and I seemed to be struggling with the end section :? (i kept getting clipped or too low)
I asked Tim how he kept making it and He gave me this tip that I feel really helped me to improve my ratio...
instead of just looking down the line and out of the tube.....
I broadened my focus and started concentrating on the spot right where the lip is starting to pitch,
then you start seeing what the barrel is doing or going to do,
you can start reacting to the lip by speeding up/slowing down, or even the need to draw a higher line, start pumping to make another section, etc.

I am sure that Nov, Simon, Steen, Bill, Bud and others that have the opportunity and experience at good surf spots can add in lots of other tips

just keep charging and ride by feel dont try to think about it