How is the surf so far this year in your part of the world ?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

surfseeker7
Local (More than 25 post)

How is the surf so far this year in your part of the world ?

Post by surfseeker7 »

So far here in San Francisco we've had a marginal Fall, followed by a very poor Winter. I know it's only early January, and I remain hopefull, but I can't remember a year with such poor conditions. It seems every swell is torn up before it reaches us, and the clean swells that do make landfall here in Northern Cal arrive in the middle of a rainstorm with 40 knot winds tearing the waves to shreds. It's normally pretty glassy and fun in December in our City by the Bay, but not this year.

So I'm wondering, is this a global phonomenom ? How have the waves/conditions been in Southern Cal ? England ? Hawaii ? How's the summer surf been in the Land Down Under ? I've heard it expressed that some years are better than others. I'm afraid this is going to be one of the worst I can remember in my 13 years of surfing...

Any thoughts ?
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

Last edited by Smokin Rock on Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crox

Post by crox »

Hi surfseeker

We seem to get good seasons when you do! Last autumn/winter was the best I can remember and although we have had some really good days it's not been a steady 4-6 feet.
It looks set to change at the end of this coming week with 10+ feet on the way with a couple of good days before as well.
We had another Gathering on Saturday 3rd - a few shots to be seen at http://www.kneeboardsurfing.co.uk/index.htm
Also at http://www.kneelo.org/latestnews.htm

Water temps are about 11c - air 8 - 10c - it's the best time of year!
Last edited by crox on Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

oh man am i on the wrong side of the atlantic! every day I check WW3 for some glimmer of a swell and am greeted with beautiful forcasts... for europe! seems the customary storm track has moved north so those trusty winter storms that plunged into the atlantic around hattaras sending welcome bombs to Long Island's south facing beaches have chosen instead to remain over land and drive north. having a hard time. starting to think if I brought barbie to the beach at least ken would go. when i get the camera back from the repair shop i'll see if i can set the picture up....greg noll er no.. ken at pipeline!
quadfin

Post by quadfin »

Same thing for us in the South Atlantic Willi. Had a great and late tropical season that lasted until Dec 2 but has been slow since then. There was even some tropical activity off CR and Honduras last week. Noticed in was warm in NY on New Years Eve. This could mean a great late winter and spring for us when you guys get cold.
kripchik

Post by kripchik »

We have had a fair bit of surf lately. Sometimes getting even two sessions in a day. However right now we have had three days with little, or crap surf. Hopefully tomorrow we will get a wave on the back beaches, then Thursday should bring some more swell into the bay for the reefs to work. Completely bored with no surf.

Cheers
Sophia
Surf coz U can!
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Pleasure Point is flat today...and I mean flat. My son took a walk at minus tide to check out the tide pools and found a nice, new 7.75" single fin (about a $50US find)....plus a lot of crabs and other sea critters.

The weather people are calling for 70 degrees this Saturday.....hopefully a bit of swell will also show up.
kbing since plywood days
DarcyM

surf conditions

Post by DarcyM »

Totally flat today in San Diego and same the day before at all but lowest tide, probably the same for tomorrow. 'sokay though, I'm still sick from a bad head cold that's spread to everyone I know and many more I don't know (but don't blame me for infecting them all!). Sunny, no rain in sight and warming even for the weekend, though very cold in mornings and after sunset. Seems kind of odd for this time of year, usually there's more surf.

time will tell ...
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Rule of Thumb here in Santa Cruz County: During the third week of January we usually are blessed with a mini heat wave, no wind all day and a killer swell. Many surfers know to have their schedules clear for that week. The beaches can be expected to be on fire.

Now we'll just have to wait and see...

Dan
kbing since plywood days
doc

Post by doc »

Lets see-

Gale warnings, freezing spray, snow showers and cross-shore winds for the rest of this week. Daylight lasts roughly from 7 AM to 3 PM. The exciting world of wind chill.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/box/fcsts/BOSCWFBOS.html for more, http://www.thebeachcomber.com/beach/beachcam.htm if you want to watch.

Surf? It'd have to be well beyond world class to drag this old aquatic mammal out of his den just now.

doc........
MTBarrels

Opening Day?

Post by MTBarrels »

IF (big if) the present NOAA WWIII prediction holds, it looks as though So. Cal. could get its Opening Day swell for this winter during the morning of Monday, Jan 12. Statistics: 285 degrees, 16.1 sec, 14.8' deep water sig. wave ht. For beaches facing directly into the swell and not shadowed: Avg Surf Ht 28', WOTD 42' (however, the forecasts usually get a bit smaller as the predicted day approaches).
Experience gained is in proportion to equipment ruined.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geetee

Post by geetee »

had a few waves over the new year and for a couple of days after 3-4ft on the Central Coast of NSW Australia. Looked for a while like it might have turned into a good ground swell but it was a bit of a hoax in the end. Still any waves are welcome as summer can be a bit onshore and small during summer on the east coast of Australia. Forecasting swell to pick up from tomorrow afternoon so I hope it hangs around for the weekend.