How is the surf so far this year in your part of the world ?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Eric Carson
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Eric Carson »

Katrina (Tropical Storm) and the waves. Heads up Man-O-War, South Beach could be offshore and firing on Friday! Or batten down the hatches, depending on the storm track. Surf upcoast has been building all day with an overhead slop/chop forcasted tomorrow.
Wax on :!:
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Eric,
The house and family blew away but I still have my spoon mold!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Very strange ........but I'll take it.

Trades seem to be blowing 10-15 kts here at Sunset.
Very tiny hints of swell. Very hot and humid.

Went to Kahuku with Dave Sears, figuring we'd just get a grovel in what ever windchop there might be.
Park and rush.

3-4' peaks, dead glass :D ..............some people (7) out already, mostly kids.

Paddle out to find it's Lee Pattison's boy Kai (not racing the moto?)
along with Michael Ho, his 2 kids, daughter Coco and son Mason plus their friends.

Never would have guessed it was going to be as nice as it was.
Lots of waves for everyone. So pretty and clean.....water's super warm and clear.
Going back for an evening session after I mow 3 blanks, to make it 6, for tomorrows lamination schedule. :)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

You're smart, Bud. This time of year its best to just kick out to the break without looking. Something is better than nothing.
kbing since plywood days
K-man

Post by K-man »

Been small for a month.South kicked in a bit today,2-3 ft glassy not... quite enough to satisfy the craving.Will crack it tomorrow and head south.The kids said pompano had been good,I'll drive till I find what I need.The swell is suppose to peak tomorrow.
Gotta get out of mayberry :lol:
K-man

Post by K-man »

Left the house at 5;30am,Hit waddell about 7.Looked pretty much fun,with a few sets small crowd,glassy slightly offshore.....Decided id go to town have breakfast with frends,shoot back and catch it on the ebb
Everything south of there was total crap-The lane [slot]was 2 ft with 18 bodies on that little peak :shock:
By the time I got back to waddell,it was popcorn to the horizon,and the kite surfers were having a ball.
Old saying:Bird in the hand[no lads, not that bird :lol:]is worth two in the bush.Should of surfed earlier!
We've got 10.2@11 and 1.3@15,no wind Real good tides,the reefs will be good tonite

cheers :)
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Finally some NW in SoCal

Post by JackG »

Had to do it, first time I've seen waves down here in a month.
Indeed. It's been completly flat here for a month as well. It was nice to hit the water at the HB Gathering, but I've been needing some local surf.

I'd been watching the NW swell prediction on the NOAA WAM site (http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/gblpac.html) with much anticipation. Checked the swell model after getting up (http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=no ... =socal_now), followed by a very anticlimatic skate down the street to verify what I already assumed, that there was finally some local surf. Waist to shoulder high probably doesn't sound like much to many on this board, but when it is down the street, breaking cleanly, light cross shore wind and only three people in the water, it sure works great for me.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

mostly maintainance,2-4.. kind of bumpy-good practice though...At least the crowds don't come to this reef.Looks like the swell will be around for the week,with a slight increase in the nw.
May bite the [gas]bullet,and shoot down on wednesday.depends on the weather.got the ouija board...it tells all....
Decisions,decisions,could there be more to life than this?Not likely :lol:
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

We've got a Hurricane trifecta in the Atlantic Basin. The past three days have been offshore thanks to Ophelia stalled about 100 miles North of where I surf. I got some scorching fast lefts at a high tide break just South of Sebastian Inlet. I rode my F2K for the first time in months (Not an every day board for Florida) and it came alive on my first wave! The angle of the dangle made this place peel and barrel with lots of punch.
THANK YOU BUD :D
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

from todays surfline forcast

Epic surf expected for Boost Mobile Pro at Trestles -- again

Wow. Sometimes all the stars line up, sometimes they don't and you simply have to go with the cards you are dealt. In the case of the Boost Mobile Pro at Lower Trestles over the past few years, I suggest these boys spend some time in Vegas.

The strongest Southern Hemisphere storm of the year has developed this week about 1500 miles south of Tahiti. This storm is the product of a deep low pressure system coming up from below New Zealand, but the secret ingredient was a strong influx of tropical moisture from a sub-tropical low in the Tasman Sea. The combination of these merging factors super charged this extra-tropical storm with hurricane force winds and seas near 50 feet today.

This is a classic New Zealander storm reminiscent of the storms that produced very large swells for us in California during the summer of 1975 and spring of 2004. Also similar to the storm that generated another huge swell Surfline followed with Mike Stewart from Tahiti to Alaska in July 1996. And it will be sending good surf to millions of surfers all around the Pacific Ocean.

The initial effects of this storm will be felt in Tahiti on Sunday and Monday with waves in excess of 30 feet on the face at Teahupo'o. We've already put the alert out to most of the world's big wave surfers and many are already on their way down to Tahiti to surf these huge waves. Next up will be Hawaii's South Shores with solid 8-15 foot waves (faces) by Thursday. Skipping over to the other side of the ocean, surfers in Costa Rica, Mexico, and California will also enjoy 8-12 foot waves (faces) by Friday and Saturday. Santa Cruz and many Northern California south-facing areas will also enjoy 8-12 foot waves on Saturday and Sunday.

the wedge in newport beach is expected to be 18-20' who is up for a wedge trip heh heh
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Bud

Post by Bud »

Surfed 4-6' Sunset yesterday on the early.
5 people out.

Nice sold 10 wave 12' HWN scale set mowed the line up at Sunset at around 10:am today. :shock: :D

Not really too crowded out here........maybe 20 guys out.

The town / South swell is getting way over hyped.
I think many went that way for the "big swell" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Summer has officially ended :!: :D
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

goodbye sping suit or surf shirt :cry: hello fullsuit :x
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)