kneelo and stand up?

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

hansel
Local (More than 25 post)

kneelo and stand up?

Post by hansel »

just wondering if its possible to create a board that can be used for kneelo and stand up? lemme know what you guys think
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

its called a fish
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Steeno

Post by Steeno »

thats very true Tim....I figured a fish is a great hybrid setup for good performance Hybrid kneelo/surfing...

my surf club mates ride racing malibus (12ft long with handles) in big seas and rip on them standing and kneeling...always a grin there aswell

will find a pic..here it is

album_showpage.php?pic_id=13980

8)
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Nov
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Nov »

Yep, it's called a regular kneeboard. Once you figure out how to control them standing, they go great. I've had standups tell me that 'you shred on that thing', they always seem amazed that you can actually surf a kneeboard standing. :lol:
KneeBumps
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KneeBumps »

Agreed that most kneeboards work well as standups, but I do notice that the pads make things interesting.
Not to mention that I have to very quickly take my flippers off and catch one in each hand while I spring nimbly to my feet :lol:
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Great footage of Simon ripping floaters, cutbacks, and 360's on the 1st SPARROW HAS LANDED.

And, renown West Oz Hellman Dr. Todd Silbert told me Simon came to G-Land one year while he was there (Todd does at least a month every season)... On one of the best days Simon got a bomb and killed it... but a couple of the boys said: "yeah... but let's see you do it standing up."

So Simon did.

"He caught the next bomb, stood up, and slaughtered it.... I mean, really f@%King blew the back outta the thing. Well... No one ever asked Simon to stand up again... he could stand-up surf circles around everyone in the camp."

:wink:
Mason
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Mason »

just wondering if its possible to create a board that can be used for kneelo and stand up? lemme know what you guys think I guess im an old fashioned guy or one of those tradionalist, but why would u wanna stand up on a kneeboard or knee on a surfboard or stand and knee on something not made for either? I guess im to competitive or my motives for doing this differs from yours. Ive done stand up surfing and knee boarding but never both on the same board, I like surfing to the best of my abilities, or better put i dont like to be confined by my equipment, and having the best of both worlds cant happen least not from what ive experienced. And as for going flipperless, why would any kneeboarder want to go without his flippers?
Takes all of the knee out of kneeboarding, no balance, no stability, no base or at least a smaller one, takes the foot out of play or it creates a smaller foot , not to mention the paddling power, sprinting speed, greatly reduces mobility(beat a short boarder and a long boarder to a bowl , spin around and take off, from a sitting position, short board cant match me in any way, long boarder prolly has more long distance speed but from a sitting position to a short sprint and a dead stop turn around on a dime and take of,f he has no chance!) Again maybe i gotta check my motives here but i feel if u wanna surf get a board made to surf and if u wanna knee come join us the ones who are going to heaven!
"The only mistake that can keep a good man down is his defense of them"
RW

Post by RW »

....interesting direction here....soon to be a misdirection once I've finished...according to a handfull of small half pint minds....

I'm not in the UBER SUPPORT ONLY THOSE WHO SUPPORT CAMP....THAT"S A CROCK OF $HIT MENTALITY....

Seriously here.....ever¥ stick I've had made to my specs over the years has proven to be a very efficient stick for myself...and my stand up pals. No $hit. I freely pass all my sticks over to my standup pals and tell them to give it a spin.....then I have a hard fri¢kin' time gettin the damned thing back from them.....oh...and they dig the pad for some strange reason....never seems to bother them in the least.

But then I do live and surf in the land of the Fish.....so it's an easy transition for the neanderthal standps to utilize the dynamics of the design....it's an intrinsic part of the territory for all the local folk....however it's the transplants and the sqwuigglebutt schoolers that just can't make the connections....and are as such doomed to KOOKDOM forever.....

Over the years I've passed off boards shaped by Harold Iggy, Gabe Garduque, Ned McMahon, Sean McGriff, Topper Driggs, Tim Bessel, Fu¢kin' Toby, and Bud Mcray to my stand up pals....and not only did they loike them...but they ripped on them from the word go.....

* that list right there is a progressive history lesson in and of itself in the Underground World....

....those surf cats did well on them all because they understood the reasoning behind the design and how they were meant to be surfed.....

I tried sharing the Ozzie shapes and designs....I'll not repeat that feed back....and they did not use flippers in the trial runs....just to keep with the status quo....

So given the premise you ask Mason....it only applies to the practical function of a given design and who is riding them...and why.... :!:

google my friend Richard Kenvin...here's a purist dedicated to giving the surfing world the true historical connections.....and Soul is a seriously inadequate label.....he's another legendary anti hero.

...last Spring I was surfing with the gnome at the infamous CrewBreak....6 people out, shoulder to head high....there was the gnome, myself, Skip Frye, Richard, and two KooKs. RK was on a 5'7" Fish.....he was killin' it.....ridin' up ....and down low like us....didn't make a difference....he knew how to ride the design......

....and I'll leave all of ya's with this thought to reason and research on yur own....

8)
shoulder huggin' chickens
Peaches

as told

Post by Peaches »

as told to me by Geno..." Nailed it shut ANTI_HERO, just like KIDROCK said, with the big mallett!!!! MONEY SHOT BWAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!...as told to me by Geno
Nov

Post by Nov »

eqKneelo wrote:Great footage of Simon ripping floaters, cutbacks, and 360's on the 1st SPARROW HAS LANDED.

And, renown West Oz Hellman Dr. Todd Silbert told me Simon came to G-Land one year while he was there (Todd does at least a month every season)... On one of the best days Simon got a bomb and killed it... but a couple of the boys said: "yeah... but let's see you do it standing up."

So Simon did.

"He caught the next bomb, stood up, and slaughtered it.... I mean, really f@%King blew the back outta the thing. Well... No one ever asked Simon to stand up again... he could stand-up surf circles around everyone in the camp."

:wink:
I've heard so many stories like that from the NN crew. E.g. Simon backdooring heavy lefts, going in kneeling and popping out standing. Some kook telling Simon to stand up and him surfing rings around the bloke who tried to talk sh!t.
They've got a lot of them. :wink:
just wondering if its possible to create a board that can be used for kneelo and stand up? lemme know what you guys think I guess im an old fashioned guy or one of those tradionalist, but why would u wanna stand up on a kneeboard or knee on a surfboard or stand and knee on something not made for either? I guess im to competitive or my motives for doing this differs from yours. Ive done stand up surfing and knee boarding but never both on the same board, I like surfing to the best of my abilities, or better put i dont like to be confined by my equipment, and having the best of both worlds cant happen least not from what ive experienced. And as for going flipperless, why would any kneeboarder want to go without his flippers?
Takes all of the knee out of kneeboarding, no balance, no stability, no base or at least a smaller one, takes the foot out of play or it creates a smaller foot , not to mention the paddling power, sprinting speed, greatly reduces mobility(beat a short boarder and a long boarder to a bowl , spin around and take off, from a sitting position, short board cant match me in any way, long boarder prolly has more long distance speed but from a sitting position to a short sprint and a dead stop turn around on a dime and take of,f he has no chance!) Again maybe i gotta check my motives here but i feel if u wanna surf get a board made to surf and if u wanna knee come join us the ones who are going to heaven!
I actually prefer the way kneeboards go standing to a proper standup board. They're loose, easy to turn and they just glide effortlessly over flat sections. I don't spend nearly as much time standing as I do kneeling, so my kneeboard suits me perfectly when I actually do want to stand up. I don't like being confined to surfing in just one stance, on a kneeboard I can swap between standing and kneeling whenever I want. For that reason I'll never ride a standup stick. It's really a testament to the versatility of kneeboards, you aren't restricted to one stance.

And as for flippers? Not wearing them just makes your board feel alive. It's amazing how much they deaden the experience. I don't really care about the paddling power they provide, I can paddle fine without them.
stevea

kneelo and stand up

Post by stevea »

Just the other day while hoping for a late arvo glass off at Balangan i met a french kneelo stand up surfer .His board was as weird as any ive seen about 6ft 4 by 21 by 4thick flat flat bottom flat deck round rails 3 fins surfboard positioning and maybe 5-6 inch square tail. eps construction What a character his design theories sounded perfectly logical ,he kneels going left and stands for rights was previously a shortboarder but got addicted to kneeling after an injury prevented him from standing.His board was designed for straight line surfing as evident on the 1 wave i saw him catch racing the closeout section doesnt usually last that long at offshore Balangan let alone the onshore section he was surfing alone, but he was able to milk some extra distance before the inevitable ,like i said a great character and friendly guy
He did say he has an egg shaped board fins forward for doing turns but prefers the paddle board surf ski inspired design
"viva la diversity"
Bumps

Post by Bumps »

:shock:
'Your site has been suspended for suspicious activity or complaints'.
Coldsalt

Post by Coldsalt »

The Style or tech that a fish needs to be ridden is the biggest change I have to make when standing on my kneeboards. To get that rail biting turn I've got to get REALLY low on my feet. Maybe even grab rail. "not being limited buy equipment" but only on learning a new style. Dan Malloy shows this in a clean way in the movie "Sprout". if you get a chance..
cheers
Make new tracks!