Surf Report 2008

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

KevinJFina
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by KevinJFina »

Wow i must have really gotton'very lucky-worked yesterday-doing ASR -very cool convesation with Sam and Robert August =).......(first R A kneeboard that i purchased from a shop c.1976(shaped my own ver of a fish in 1975-5 ft 0 hand foiled ABS keel glassons) hit Solana on the way home -perfect glassy 5-7 foot faces from 430 till the lights of the restuarant started to resonate the Jaws theme and the outsides began to blend in to lacking horzon.fogbank and rain.
Peace,
Kevin
randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by randiego »

Mason - that's a bummer! Guess you guys are on the business side of the Low, eh?? :shock: :shock:
skansand

Post by skansand »

magnolia was amazing yesterday....overhead glassy barrels with 3 friends, no crowd besides a few boogie groms in the shorebreak....waves connecting all the way to the beach!...

had 5 really good barrels...including a layback barrel and the infamous flipper drag into the barrel.....my first time trying it and it worked like a charm.... 8)

stoked!!
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
K-man

Post by K-man »

Dog meat up here..Looks just like masons pic,onshore,brown and foamy.
Guess this rotating low,wich is onshore up here is OS there.Swells supposed to jump by friday.Haven't been wet since sat.,got the itch... :lol:

cheers
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
skansand

Post by skansand »

your missing out beeline!!.....i got some more fun barrels at magnolia today.

got a few overhead sets but mostly hh waves.....

surfing with a few friends in a empty lineup...about 4 other surfs down the beach....
WaterLogged

Post by WaterLogged »

Well, today was en epiphany, because today I figured out how to keep my nose from corking too much while wearing fins. It was a knee to waist high day today with light offshores and really sunny, so I headed out with fins in hand.

And yes, I bought a XXL pair of Neofins (the one with the 100% neoprene foot pocket) for my sore foot. They are just lovely.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It was good to switch up between arms and legs.

We went to a beach that was recently dredged, against my better judgment. There was a lot of water moving around - it was too deep - and the seaward currents had *suck* on full power. It just made everything...well....sucky. The waves just rolled in without power, and when the sand shifted and you actually got a wave with power - I usually ended up taking in on the head because I was in the wrong place... :evil:

I got stuck in the impact zone, which at a normal beach would a shallow area where you can catch some whitewater and rocket yourself towards the shore, and eventually stand up. The surf zone was so deep that when you caught whitewater and moved forward, a current pushed you backward. I was so frustrated and annoyed.

Monday is calling for clean waist high conditions, so my gigantic fins and I will be heading out again, and a jetty break with an actual shallow area.

:wink:
I
GRAB
RAILS
K-man

Post by K-man »

If the smokes heading offshore its always worth a look....Figured!Set a cam up wouldja?...Them fiesty locals will love it.
Met a few over the last several yrs.One crewed on the point sur research vessel,at moss marine dock.Did the fall trips,Pelgic birds,mammals and the cetaceans.A few others are commercial fishermanI did a afew yrs of that.So there was that connection,no probs.

cheers
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

In the late 70's my wife and I had a house off of Buena Vista Drive and could see the stacks from my bed. Wish that were the case now.
kbing since plywood days
skansand

Post by skansand »

tiny barrels yesterday...2-4' at Rjs, really hollow and fun but shallow!!

traded boards with my boogie friend for a few waves and got some deep tubes on his new NO.6 bodyboard....

my board ended up attacking him and busting a fcs plug through the deck...so i opted to bodysurf from then on and im glad i did cause i got some more super fun barrels...

... ps,....

last night around 1:30 i fought and landed a 50 pound stingray in newport harbor..epic battle ill remember forever...
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Ska pulling on a big stinger is good practice when ya hook something of quality that size. Were ya fishing squid from the public dock nearest Wedge?

Errr is this the fish report thread....Oh the surf-fish report :D 8)
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

years ago i hooked into a huge shark from shore and battled it to within 50 yrds of shore before i cut the line. i fought the bastard for 2.5 hrs and was completely exhaused. the next big ulua i hooked came in like a guppy. big sharks and rays can really let you know the limits of your equipment and your own strength. not the pickiest eaters too :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
skansand

Post by skansand »

used a whole squid off a dock in lido isle,, but i was trying to convince my friends we should go fish near the wedge,...seen some grumpers over there wayne?

that was my single fish of the night, but gave me a great fight on a 9' jigstick and 40ib mono...

smokin rock, whered you get the shark? sounds fun

:)