Surf Report 2008

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

JackG
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JackG »

Today was classic winter time fun here. Shoulder to head high super clean surf, 68 degree air, bright sun, no wind. All the local winter reefs/points were going but not overpowered. Jimbo and Putzy, I surfed the same reef we did yesterday, but it was much more consistent. Hit it in the late morning with the still rising tide just after the morning shift got out. Two people at first, then no more than six and a really good vibe in the water. Saw some fun going on at the point break up the beach too. Rode the best wave I've ever ridden at this break. Late drop, hard bottom turn, off the top, around back in to white water, pump and do it again and again. Ten minutes from home. And all under the watchful eyes of dolphins and the US Navy (USS Ronald Reagan anchored off the harbor for crew shore leave. That is a BIG ship.).
Masons

Post by Masons »

Nice jack, sounds like you guys had a good time. There definetely has been a lot of sailors in town lol.

I got the shaft this weekend, great swell and I didn't get wet once.. sweet.

Hopefully this week holds some size.
Jimbo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Jimbo »

Jack - Jim and I surfed Little Rincon today. Firing!! Really fun - lots of company but patience was rewarded. Was good to see you on Sat.

Jimbo
byunhosa
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Surf

Post by byunhosa »

Jim and Putzy, Mason's report is not the same as you guys told me about your trip. Let me get it right: lots of sailors in town, got the shaft over the weekend, and hoping for more size? What's up wit dat?

Gotta say, sounds like you guys had quite an adventure??? :shock:
Casey Patelski

TRESTLES REPORT

Post by Casey Patelski »

1 PM go out, Pure Glass, Head High (waves that is), Surfed Slowers (Lowers), crowds were medium but the swell was inconsistant, so I got set waves and surfed thru the slalom course of gauking longboarders. Blazing sun in our faces reflecting off the glassy water. My 2nd go out on my Flashpoint, got it figured out and I was able to connet the dots from outside point to inside point. Lots of natural speed on the Flashpoint hull.
No fins this time either. They paddle great. The learning curve is WELL WORTH IT.
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
randiego

Post by randiego »

heard Blacks was empty yesterday during the Chargers game - somebody scored!

Not me, I was going freakin' nuts watching the Frightning Lightning! :lol: :lol:
Bob

Post by Bob »

East side good but not great today. Larger sets good but smaller sets bumpy and slow.

Who was the kneelo on the red board at Suicides around noon?

He went left on one wave (it is kind of a right point) and the biggest set of the day came right behind and got everybody. It had to have gotten him.
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

waves in Humboldt were 4 to 8 feet with chilly sweet A-frames and glassy :D
got the Wes man in the water for a wave or two

peace and good waves
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Scott - Mason was in the OC - not SB!!! We definately did not get the shaft nor did we need it any bigger. Sailors???? I'm not touching that one. Adventure?? I did get in a little verbal tiff with an 80 year old Ron Paul supporter on Stearns Wharf. That was funny!!!
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Bad waves in Brooklyn, Fuggetaboutit :lol: Slept under the Verrazano Bridge with the sound of rain to lull me to sleep, woke up to some solid eight foot faces, some bigger, at Rockaway Beach. Had several lefts more than a football field in length. Probaby covered more ground than the Dallas Cowboys did yesterday :lol: It was a balmy 40 degrees, and no snow. Surfed for four hours, then it shut down. Should be lake flat tomorrow :x About five guys out, problem was these guys could surf, so I didn't quite get as many waves as I wanted :lol: but plenty.
Scored a nice Rockaway Beach surfers hat. 8)
Then I went to Manhattan, hung out in Little Italy sipping some cappucino looking for Paris, she wasn't around :( .

Waves were like this, minus the snow and less wind. Long rides!
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/nyc-b ... 3258252998
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Well, this has been an odd year, to say the least.

6.9' at 19 seconds for hours and hours overnight.

Just as Don and I were launching our plan, NOAA SF went to 6.9 at 7 seconds, with 19-21 NW winds.

Saw Jeff M. getting out... the quick report wasn't good.

Don and I chose South of the North lot, where some action was working out back.

51F water... 7 second shorepound. I became the local water temp sampler getting pinned to a sandbar for a bit before breaking through.

Repeat every 7 seconds... 'Feels like 51?' 'Yup' 'Feels like 51' 'Maybe colder?' 'Feels like 51?'...

Don caught a rip and punched through... but was sent many yards downfield. It was still the better option, by far!

19 second sparse sets outside, with MAYBE a one-two turn opportunity.

Not much ROI. Good workout, I guess.
K-man

Post by K-man »

A bit strange over here.Local channel bars are spread along the the whole beach.There is a mid-channel right,breaks at mid outgoing.shoulder to HH,has a bit of side rip going thru it,makes it stand up.Very fast!No cutties,speed run.EQ knows.Two hrs and it's over.
The rest of the beach was a circus.. :roll: The reefs were unrideable.

cheers
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Good wrap-up by SFK.

Long paddle out back to a semi-frequent peak only to have things go to !@#$# by the time we reached our destination. Solid hour of paddling at 90%.

This year has been frustrating to say the least. The times I DO paddle out it seems a good dose of dramamine is in order - wobbly swells.

Surfing these days has been more about the paddle than the surf... with the exception of Sunday...

I did get a very good session a few hours north on Sunday with 5 guys out (me, another Kneelo - Jeff Mays and his son and a few others who came and went.) I've been told about a women kneelo up there and she paddle out as my session was about over. 2 hrs in the the session, a quick hello, a clean up set and one to the beach for me. This was probably my best surf of the year so far and with all the lore of surfing NorCal - fog/rain, cold, big bull kelp, big seals, rocks, etc. I'm prepping for a visit to Jerry ;-)

Looking forward to more exploratory surfs up there :-)
Last edited by Don on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Harris
K-man

Post by K-man »

Well I know where you all were :lol: That sound like kim.rip R's ex.Probably riding a blast.

cheers
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Don wrote:Good wrap-up by SFK.

Long paddle out back to a semi-frequent peak only to have things go to !@#$# by the time we reached our destination. Solid hour of paddling at 90%.

This year has been frustrating to say the least. The times I DO paddle out it seems a good dose of dramamine is in order - wobbly swells.

Surfing these days has been more about the paddle than the surf... with the exception of Sunday...

I did get a very good session a few hours north on Sunday with 5 guys out (me, another Kneelo - Jeff Mays and his son and a few others who came and went.) I've been told about a women kneelo up there and she paddle out as my session was about over. 2 hrs in the the session, a quick hello, a clean up set and one to the beach for me. This was probably my best surf of the year so far and with all the lore of surfing NorCal - fog/rain, cold, big bull kelp, big seals, rocks, etc. I'm prepping for a visit to Jerry ;-)

Looking forward to more exploratory surfs up there :-)
Holy mackeral, without giving away the secret, where the hell are you guys surfing? An hour to paddle to a location? What about whitey? :shock:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction