Surf Report 2008

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The buffet is open.

Timed the entry really poorly and ended up getting pounded and pinned on the inside for... oh... about two blocks. Went out around the Chalet and ended up punching through at Lincoln.

Conditions are still great. Surf is solidly OH, with some beautiful tubes on tap.

Get 'em while supplies last!

Sorry I missed you, Syd. Had to go earlier to get back for a meeting.

How was your session?

Sooooo sore. :D
stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by stemple »

Missed you SF ended up paddling out about the same spot definately fun. found a nice peak around lincoln that just kept getting better as the tide dropped. Weather looks pretty nasty for the coming weekend and most of next week, maybe try for tomorrow as well, snow in the mountains so I am up there for the holidays, bought a new pair of boards super cheap in August can't to take them for spin.
Scott

Post by Scott »

The buffet is open.
I bellied up to the "Ocean Beach buffet" late this afternoon. About the best I've ever surfed it down at the South end. Glassy, head-high plus, minimal crowd and everyone friendly. Splitting, spitting peaks going right and left. And even an easy paddle out! I scored so many waves.

Approaching sunset (which was absolutely gorgeous and so worthy of a Steens photo!), most everyone had gone in as the waves had slowed a bit. Then the sets suddenly fired up again with the tide change hitting different parts of the sandbar. I had a fantastic peak to myself with no one within 100 yards of me. And the guy next door had no one within a 100 yards of him... So many choice waves went unridden, eventually the dolphins showed up by me and started taking the set waves.

Just one of those magical days...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Scott, what a great post. Congrats on a great session 8)
stemple

Post by stemple »

Scott, I looked at the south end at noon or so and almost paddled out but went north instead. It looked sweet. I AM STOKED YOU SCORED. Definitely worth the drive. You gotta appreciate those days when the rain and wind starts coming.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Syd,

Hope you got it good going north a bit. After my magical session, I spoke with the Creedlier and he surfed the mid-beach area by his house, just as perfect, but a bit bigger. It's amazing when Ocean Beach turns on like that, especially on a weekday, as there is 3 miles of beach break that is suddenly firing and way, way more waves everywhere than surfers.

Then come the rains, and onshore winds on all those other days, and we're left with the memories.

Living in San Jose, though not on the ocean, is pretty cool for an inland city in that it's an equal drive time (one hour) to three epic areas: Santa Cruz and its north reefs, Ocean Beach in San Francisco, and Moss Landing to the south. One hour driving in any direction--sometimes it's very hard to decide...
Casey Patelski
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Casey Patelski »

Thanks for the blessing Scott, same to you, your family and all the other kneelo bros. Casey
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
jimithesaint
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by jimithesaint »

Real good sessions Wednesday. Clean 4 – 5 foot beach break barrels at S-turns.
So much fun, I spent about 4 hours in the water. Water is still not too bad about 52-54I’m really getting the feel of Kneeboarding – not feeling awkward like i did when I first picked it up last year. Time in the water….

Rode my Fish. Caught a lot of waves & got some real good drops, speed runs, even a couple of barrels- So cool to get a good ride on a board I shaped myself album_showpage.php?pic_id=14056

Snagged a really good set wave toward the end of the day – paddling back out got a smile and a “nice one” from one of the stand up crew sharing the peak

Stoked!

Merry Christmas to everyone
Jim
Scott

Post by Scott »

Sounds like a great session, Jim. Always nice when others in the lineup appreciate what you're doin'.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

Been nonexistent up here.Went north some, to the more exposed breaks ...nada! Buoys are reading 2.6 at 11... 2.1 at 8.... :( Suppose to storm the next few days.Can't imagine not having a christmas day surf!
flaps

Post by flaps »

Had a break in the storms yesterday so took a flight up the beach from 40N up...beautiful snowy mtns but ocean looked like summer...crazy considering the storm activity we're having right now...maybe Santa will bring us a swell..last year he did...
It's already good tomorrow...
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

jimithesaint wrote:Real good sessions Wednesday. Clean 4 – 5 foot beach break barrels at S-turns.
So much fun, I spent about 4 hours in the water. Water is still not too bad about 52-54I’m really getting the feel of Kneeboarding – not feeling awkward like i did when I first picked it up last year. Time in the water….

Rode my Fish. Caught a lot of waves & got some real good drops, speed runs, even a couple of barrels- So cool to get a good ride on a board I shaped myself album_showpage.php?pic_id=14056

Snagged a really good set wave toward the end of the day – paddling back out got a smile and a “nice one” from one of the stand up crew sharing the peak

Stoked!

Merry Christmas to everyone
Jim
Hey Jim,
Glad you caught some, I guess S-turns must be a lot less crowded in the winter. Hoping to get down there (Hampton) to visit the in-laws next week, if it's a go I'll send a PM, maybe we can score a few. Merry Christmas!
Doug
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Strange Days at OBSF...

This one involves the Nutcracker, a near tragedy, vets in the right places, and pretty darn fun surf...

Met Don at mid-beach at o-dark-hundred. To my surprise, Wayne Kopit arrived by cab. His family was up to watch the Nutcracker, as one of his daughters is a high-caliber dancer.

Wayne's nursing a shoulder injury, but got his exercise cruising the bluffs taking pix of Don and me from Pacheco to Noriega.

The surf was solid OH, with some long-period South in it :?: :?: :?:

This created some nuggets, although the hollowness was a bit dicey... lots of pinchers.

After some time out there, we came in and were just about to leave when Don's dog mysteriously bolted from Great Hwy the Lesser onto Great Hwy the Greater... not good.

Tires screeching... thud. Don was closest at that point, and at that point it seemed fatal for poor Ruby.

Enter the Vet Wayne! How lucky! He calmed Ruby and gave her an inspection.

We were given directions by folks and police to the emergency clinic... and off to 9th and Irving we went.

X-rays backed Wayne's assessment, and after a few staples in Ruby's noggin, we all parted ways to re-join family and to reflect on how lucky it was Ruby is still alive.

Last I saw Wayne, he was in a sea of people waiting outside the DeYoung... Spoke to Don last night, and Ruby is still OK.

I was running late to get back to my family. My wife had planned a Mommy-Daughter day. As it turns out, they went to the Nutcracker.

Somehow, it all started with and ended with the Nutcracker.

Many thanks for everything, Wayne! Great to see you!
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Hope Ruby is OK and not dreaming of Sugarplum fairies.
kbing since plywood days