Late 70's/Early 80's Shapers

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

griz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by griz »

Bumps,
Your right ,Fitzy`s boards did not suit me for the simple reason that what I was riding (Parkes,Whiteman then Ponsford shapes)wear light years ahead in refinement,progression and quality.I`d pull one out of the rack and they would dead set make me cringe and he continued to make the exact same chunked out board right to the end.If you had access to the boards that the east coast crew were into of that era you would have agreed as well.
micko
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by micko »

Headwax. wrote:oct 77 peter berry

Pardon the dredge but found this old thread looking for info on John Waterworth and it deserves to come out of the vaults. Some classic stuff in here.
How's the outline on these from '77? Look just like a current squash tail thruster.
austo

Post by austo »

Dunno Micko , Looks more like your recent inspirations from the Island twin to the katana..wide point behind center?..is thats whats working for ya?..interested on that concept. ah la Ponsford screw tail?
Kneelos do it deeper
micko

Post by micko »

Hey Stu! Funny you should mention the screwtails, always liked the look of them, apart from the tail and fin set up. Never ridden one, might have to hit Griz up for a paddle next time I see him.

Being the size I am and tending to surf more off the tail I prefer a bit of area in the back end. That Island was a bit narrow for me in the tail, tended to either slide or wash out when I pushed it too hard. Great tube board though.

Can't say I liked the Strapper much, went really well in 3ft plus lined up waves but was hard work in small beachies. Even in nice lined up waves I just seemed to feel somewhat disconnected with the wave. Kinda like riding a mal. I think it was due to the rails, hard edged and tucked under like an MR twinnie and running right up to the nose. I found it hard to surf back far enough on it. Reckon it would make a brilliant stand up board.

Lovin the Katana though, feels kinda squirrelly but the harder I push it the harder it pushes back and accelerates out of the turn. Whether that's the widepoint, the concave or just the whole thing put together I don't know.
I just know I'm enjoying surfing more than I have in a long time.

Got another one in the pipeline too

:roll:
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Headwax. »

Gah looking for Glen Perry and I stumbled on this old thread. Reminds me of I have a big box of old surfing worlds et tracks etc that I haven't looked through since the seventies/80's in regards to kneelo history...
barry

good thread for sure

Post by barry »

Love the pics and history going on in here.
for me it started in the early 80s, first go on a kneeboard was a Haydu shaped by Ron Romanosky was checkered on the bottom with wooden twin fins and polka dots on the top... echo beach style! then got a custom from Mike Lytle (newport surf co) still have it. then got on the Sunline team and rode Tom Balestars boards for a few years. then Jeff Timpone hooked me up with some Great boards before he moved to Maui. Been riding Eric Schoelkopfs boards since about 89. Erics first label was called Primitive board designs, Eric also shaped heaps of boards for Gary Linden for a few years for his 'Real Job" :)
should look into Carl Hayward designs, his brother Scott is a ksusa member, lots of old kneeboarding history in Huntington Beach!
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

hey :)

for me my first board circa 1974 was about 4 foot eight with a huge maltese cross on the bottom - I had to cover it with a towel when I went to the beach because people would point at it and laugh - no taste some people :) it had a fully belly bottom curve and I was in bliss whenever I was on it !

I was even honoured with the title 'eggroll' the firsrt time I surfed it, and that came from a complete stranger... who ever said surfers weren't a welcoming bunch... ;)