Late 70's/Early 80's Shapers

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Albert,
confirmation on the barry bennet era, my first kneeboard was one I also bought from my brother after he grew too large to keep using it as a standup. beautiful indestructable low waisted board with a large skeg and a split cedar stringer..It was my transition from surf-o-plane to kneelo
In Newcastle in the late 60's- early 70's Sam Egan shaped a number of boards for the crew, especially around Merewether, for myself and the likes of the Gow brothers Peter & Bruce and others. The Egan boards evolved from 5 foot mini guns ( I had one with knee scoops and handles to pull it around corners :oops: ) to catch up slabs to make us competitive with the DY Crew.
I ultimately went to croziers:)
In the Gong in 78-9 I got my first fish, shaped by Richard 'Nat' Palmer who was shaping for Skipp as was Eddie Sinnot ( I think.....:?: )
Since then I've had my boards shaped by another standup, shaper Brett Munro who got his training on kneeloshaping from Craig Mcdonald.
cheers,
Riq
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Albert
I have 2 of Bruces early eighties tri-fins (both hand layed curved outers) in great condition....I might consider a good offer
My first board was a La Jolla bought locally My second was a Native by Dave (Badman) Trellor that I ordered direct from the shaper on Winbourne Rd in Brookvale
I have picked up a Clear and Natural flex tail by Steve Zoller c1976 (but pencil is very faint) with a double glueline stringer and great spray
Last edited by scoop on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
albert

Post by albert »

Riq dekneelo wrote:Hi Albert,

In the Gong in 78-9 I got my first fish, shaped by Richard 'Nat' Palmer who was shaping for Skipp
Awesome! I just picked up an old Skipp that was made by Richard Palmer, twin fin slab/diamond tail thing... looks awesome, I will put up a pic of it soon.
ross

Post by ross »

hey this is a cool thread 8) ,
Steve got me thinking about Hutchie.All you older Northern beaches blokes could verify this but i think Wayne got his start with KC surfboards?
The reason i know this is because after all these years one of my good mates still froths at the mouth about Wayne smashing his planer to bits as an apprentice after one to many cuts with the planer :lol:
I went to school across the road from the Sundancer factory. So after one year of good results on the Aussie kneeboard curcuit, cocky as anything i'm marching into Waynes factory offering him the golden opportunity for him to sponsor me :lol: :oops: (i think i tried to start a bidding war between Wayne and Albert Whiteman , but Albert was more excited that i had the same colour hair as his Cattle dogs, grey,black and brown. Damn skin pigment :lol: )
As time went by, i was spending enough time in the factory i ended up with a broom in my hand, sanding legrope plugs, cutting out fins and preparing the glass/rovings for boards before school most mornings.
for about 3 years i would have seen every kneeboard that went through that factory (88'-91) . i would say there were always 2 or three boards in stock and a couple "going through the system" in the factory. At that time i would say no more than30 kneeboards a year were coming out of that factory. This was in the time of heavy gloss coated boards with set fins and people still thought one board suited every condition.I will say that most of Wayne work came from surfboards, particularly contract glassing.
When i was 16 Wayne even let me do "work experience" through school in the factory! So while all my mates were doing building site chores or sitting in stuffy office buildings.i was in the Sundancer factory,hanging with Mitchell Rae, Steve Artis (which he wont remember, i was an insignificant little pleb of a child) etc learning about all manner of things.

i think i lasted till 11am Monday morning, became physically ill form the idea of working a whole week, so my mum came and got me :oops: . i turned up on Thursday in time to go do a photo shoot with Brett Eagles , Luke and Adam Faunce. Got to the factory about on the Friday and tried to out drink the staff with my" two beer wonder" skills and then Wayno pays me a hundered bucks for the week! Thank god mum came and picked me up.
All the dickheads at school worked their arses off all week :lol: , they were horrified when i told em what i'd been doing.

All these goings on were pre Kneeon era. A label that Wayne bought from Dale Ponsford. So i can't give you any stories from that time, but definately, as a kneeboard shaper the kneeon days were his busiest.
KenM

Post by KenM »

Brad, I got a big smile to see you mention Ron Lingenfelter. I got my first fish from Ron in '74 just after he took over SeaSki from Steve Walden. It was a magic board and I've been hooked on fishes ever since. I believe Ron is glassing for Hobie these days. Speaking of Steve Walden, he also made some nice kneeboards, got my first custom from him about '72 and even a bonzer when those first came out. Steve was one of the very first to put wings on the tail of a board.
Dean Cleary was shaping KBs before his move to SA and I remember was shaping bat tail single fins when he came back. Anybody remember his KB shaping pal Ed Greener? He made some nice kbs that were sold out of George's on main street where he also worked. Ahhhh the 70's.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Ken
8) 8)
Brad
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

Cant forget Peter Daniel who has shaped Kneelos since the 80s if not before. My First ever custom was a Division 5 fin setup which I still have.

Gunther Rohn (now legendary standup shaper) made kneelos for "Jet" for awhile as well.

Ross...I have a Sundancer twin fin tucked away and one of Bruces "Hot buttered" kneelos which was the first board I ever bought secondhand circa 1989.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hey Riq, I have a couple of Richard "Nat" Palmers boards aswell, Nat was a great spoon rider, I have a few of Eddies aswell (he was making four finners like buds setups in the late 70's early 80's, I rode Eddies (skipp) kneelos for about 14 years. Carey Kneeboards was another down here, the Byrne Brothers (had no idea) and Mike Davis from Kiama...Kevin Barr Signature models (i have one)
Mick Carabine punced out alot of kneelo's also as did Ralph Riddell who now owns the retro surf shop in coolangatta. Paul Nichol is another kneelo maker down here.

lotsa stuff going on away from the magazine cities, that was never heard of
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
stevea

late 70,s early 80,s shapers

Post by stevea »

ah i knew a few bintangs and a good nights sleep would open up the memory bank .My first board was a Barry Bennett twin D shaped fins towards the tail about 5 4 round nose square tail ,being a westie i bought it new from the Ermington surf shop that i used to haunt after school that was 1964 or 65
Ross sorry if my recall isnt real good but back then surfboard factories wernt well ventilated and every one knows these days exactly what a toxic environment it was ,but i do remember that day at the box your board was yellow right?
Fancy forgetting Steve Zoeller and Peter Daniels and what about Jim Walsh ,not a prolific shaper but what he did for kneeboard surfing against the odds ,well all those guys from 1972 on who competed in regional state and australian titles owe him a heap of gratitude and on i ramble ,but theres a new swell and so its off to taste some Indo magic
ross

Post by ross »

yes Steve nasty fumes floating around that place :lol:

and yes that was me out the box that day, hasn't been that good since i reckon.

thanks for absolutely flooring me with your little Indo surf report to mate :lol: I wont be over till later this year and i think i might be coming in through Medan so i'll catch up if i end up down your way to clash a few bintangs :wink:
Tony Wales
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Tony Wales »

Great thread guys - good to see so many knowledgeable people (legends in the own rights) contributing.

I have posted a photo in my personal gallery of two kneeboards dating from around 68 or 69, predating the spoon influence and pretty much scalled down mals - they are proudly displayed on the roof of a Morris 1100 if I'm not mistaken. I have also added a couple of photos of unknown kneelos at Cronulla Point in 1970.

Both the boards were out of the Shane factory but I don't know who shaped them.

Heres the link: album.php?user_id=1930
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Steeno,
nat's fish was the kick off for my boards till now. Good shaper and hard competitor as I recall. Great boards for the coal coast points, eh.
HI Stevea,
You Northside guys rocked, lots of experimental thinking in those times , musta been the fumes :) :lol: :? Is Stewie in indo? still got a couple of photos from that era of you carving serious off the top coming around.
I'll see if I can resurrect and post. The're form some of the old mattara comp days....
What about the victorian mob, Neil Luke, but I recall some boards coming from shapers like Pat Morgan at torquay?
Cheers,
Riq
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
Tony Wales

Post by Tony Wales »

I don't want to take this thread too off tangent but it would be good to hear from the shapers on this board - especially those that participated in the evolution of the board designs - what happened back in the early 80s that led to the current basic rounded pin tail designs which dominate kneeboard designs.

The first time I came across the basic shape was the late 70s when I bought a John Ware Friar Tuck board with a single fin and 11" fin box - the board flew down the line but was near impossible to turn - very frustrating.

I never really took much notice of the design again until the early to mid 80s when Nov & Simon were riding the shapes (and re shaping Australian kneeboarding). Although I was aware that Steve Artis had been doing designs along these lines up on the Northern Beaches.

The turning point in board design for the rounded pin tail seem to be the introduction of the Thruster 3 fin set up from Simon Anderson's designs. I always felt that there was a bit of a push out of the Hot Buttered factory led by Fitzy and Steve Artis - I know that Albert Whiteman always spoke about the influence of Fittzy's factory on his shaping.

The rounded pin tail shape so massively dominates what we ride these days that it would be good to have your input.
geo

Post by geo »

wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Hey guys,
just about had Richard "Nat" Palmer at the Club Challenge at Wollongong this year - when I told him he was very interested in coming along, even called in the day before to check the time and place,,,,but alas something else must have come up or he turned up late at Wollongong south beach car park too early or late.
Steeno, I had a Carey kneeboard - my first foray into twin fins, it cut through a 5mm wetsuit and half way through my right calf muscle when I tried to ride it like my old "SPOT" single fins at Cowries many moons ago, it showed me in short order the difference between twinnies and single fins :oops: :oops:
Here's another one, Brian Coombs shaped me two or three excellent single fin from his SPOT surfboard factory at Warilla, before Warren Carey bought him out. He lives further down the coast I think close to Stevie Wilson at Conjola. Warren still shapes boards at home but has gone back into his old trade fitting and turning - both these guys were stand up shapers - was particularly impressed with Brian's ability to shape a decent kneeboard though.

Cheers Wolruss