WILL SOMEONE PLEASE...

General discussion area for kneeboard surfing and general surf related topics

Moderator: Moderator

KED
Local (More than 25 post)

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE...

Post by KED »

Any of you k~board veterans artistically inclined??? It would be a real contribution to this site if someone would put together something similar to what is on the wavemasterusa site. Just go to wavemasterusa and then Ripps Waveski Savvy on the main menu. I think that something like this would help to promote the sport... not to mention my own snail-paced progress :oops:
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
knee_boarder
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by knee_boarder »

I'd love to have some guides to various manoeuvres as I seem to have forgotten everything I knew after a 10 year layoff!
Headwax.
Legend (Contribution King!)

Nome d'internet

Post by Headwax. »

Great idea. I once was a windsurfer and had a large collection of magazines outlining techniques. You know the type: 'when your wife aclls you for lunch, place your left foot just behind the mast, grab the boom with your teeth, and then, as you count to three and you feel the wind let go of the sail, only then, bend your knees and make sure that your shoelaces are done up..."

But seriously, it is a good idea.

A few years ago, I started this thread under the pseudo name Zorro. I learnt a lot in the process of disecting a simple cutback, and can happily say that after 34 years (assuming 51 less 17 = 34?) in the water I can now do a passable roundhouse cutty.

http://ksusa.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=cutback

You might be interested in it because the basics are the same, regardless of whether you are doing a cutback, a re-entry or a bottom turn.

Of course I got bogged down in the minutae so it;s not as good as your example.

happy cutbacking ;)

headwax
joe

Post by joe »

Stan Kofoed has a cool site that includes some advice on how to improve your bottom turn. http://kneeboardsurfingvic.blogspot.com ... rn-so.html

Keep searching this site, there are nuggets of wisdom between the noise. Check out the video clips section and the photo gallery.
KED

Post by KED »

Wow! If one (or several... group effort) of you guys could compile this information and do this sort of thing for each manouvre... complete with pictures as examples - from paddling out - to the basics - to advanced... it would be fantastic. Sorry to keep bringing up the sport of waveski surfing on this site, but in addition to Ripp's Waveski Savvy on the wavemasterusa.com site, there is a book - 9 1/2" x 12" coffee table size with great pictures - by Roger Shackleton - that was put together years ago and is still considered to be the bible of waveski surfing. Beginners and veterans alike still refer to this book to advance their skills. Kneeboard surfing deserves the same :!: It is such a beautiful and unique sport.
Be who you are and say what you feel.
The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind.
gaz
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by gaz »

Thought you'd be all over this like a rash cap'n
hart

Post by hart »

KED wrote:
Ripp's Waveski Savvy on the wavemasterusa.com site, there is a book - 9 1/2" x 12" coffee table size with great pictures - by Roger Shackleton
Roger Shackleton is a great bloke and a very talented shaper/ designer

He once shared his factory with Greg Clough Aloha in Manly Vale NSW and they shared MANY world title surfers between them

Lots of collective energy :idea:

KED..there is much in common with kneeboarding and the forward-oriented wave-ski approach to surfing

All YOU need..is desire and you will find it :D

hart
"Mary Mary, Mother Mother,

You and me and..

God the Father.."

Richard Butler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7TPaQV4zo
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

hart wrote: KED..there is much in common with kneeboarding and the forward-oriented wave-ski approach to surfing

All YOU need..is desire and you will find it :D
Yup. As I've mentioned, I rode skis to a high standard for years (much higher than I am on my knees). Just pretend you're on a ski and your hands are the paddle.

G
tws

Post by tws »